Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Rough spots.

Author Topic: Rough spots.
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this has ever been addressed, but I'd like some opinions on it as I am finishing off a second version of an earlier story to be posted in F & F soon.

Is it considered bad form if you let your readers know ahead of time what you believe to be are some weak areas in your plot and or prose? To give them a sort of "heads-up," to pay particular attention to faulty areas that you understand aren't quite right along with all of the other rough areas.

Or is it better to just leave it be.

Thanks all.

[This message has been edited by mommiller (edited May 02, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by mommiller (edited May 02, 2006).]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spcpthook
Member # 3246

- posted      Profile for spcpthook   Email spcpthook         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to present it and get a feel for what the reader/reviewer sees are the problems rather than present my ideas of what problems are there.

Sometimes you write something you know is just the best thing ever written in the history of mankind...and nobody else seems to think so. Other times you write something that you know nobody could possibly be interested in and everybody thinks its the greatest thing since chocolate ice cream.

As the author you are far too close to your work to be objective. Let fresh eyes search for problems. You may be pleasantly surprised -- or you may be told exactly what you expect to hear.

If you tell people there's something wrong though they WILL find something wrong. Then you still only have your opinion and there was no point to having anybody else read it.

[This message has been edited by spcpthook (edited May 02, 2006).]

Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
When you send something to a reader to read the whole story, then you may want to ask them to focus on a particular area. However, not every critiquer will appreciate being told how to crit.

Particularly on a board like this where you are dealing with near strangers, it might be best just to let them critique as they will.

On other boards where you are more familiar and friendly with the readers, its okay to ask for specific critique areas.

But if you let the critiquers go on their own you will more likely get critiques of the actual weak points rather than what you think the weak points are.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
It's helpful to develop a critique relationship with a small group of people to whom you can go back, after the fact, and ask for greater clarity. It's why writing groups work.

I will submit a couple of chapters to my writing group, wait for their feedback. If they identify the spot *I* believe is rough, I will go back to them and tell them my thoughts... here are my choices, this is my fear, this is my obstacle, what do you think? I often get excellent feedback this way that enables me to put some polish on rough edges.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I figure if I want to show something to somebody for major commentary, the matter-to-hand has to be in a relatively sharp condition. Everything proofed, typed-in notes-to-myself all removed, all the scenes in place, characters and places all with proper names, beginning and end and everything in between all there.

(As opposed to some of the things I've put up here, where I'm limited to thirteen lines at most and usually just want some thoughts on technique.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's fair to say, "I'm especially concerned with X here." Sometimes I put that at the end, so the reading won't be biased by that.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.