Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Does anyone else ever need to mellow out?

Author Topic: Does anyone else ever need to mellow out?
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
I have three different story lines in my head that are my own I'm trying to keep straight, not to mention the stories I need to read for others. I keep confusing characters. Feel like I need a stiff drink.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wyrd1
Member # 3366

- posted      Profile for wyrd1   Email wyrd1         Edit/Delete Post 
You could try writing it down in plot summaries and a list of characters for each plot then as you get more ideas for scenes write them down in their appropiate place in the correct summary.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Relax.

Set limits on how many people you will try to help.

I only know of three people you are committed to keep up with their stories.

For your own stories. Take the time to write it down. Use a pen and a notebook so you can use shorthand and arrows and pictures.

Then, when things slow down, transcribe the notebook to your PC in a more comprehensive manner.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

The pictures thing made me laugh. I can't draw that well. lol.

Don't get the wrong idea, it's just today, that I feel like I'm on brain overload.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to a park, take a frisbee. See if you can lure other people's dogs home with you.
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you think that a stiff drink will help you keep things straight...
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I always write out my novel plots on color coded index cards. that way, I can outline one thread by itself but mix the cards in the order I want to tell the story.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
I not only need to mellow out, but workable instructions on how to do so without shutting down entirely.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Three storylines? Three

Three is nothing. I've got at least 25.

But yes, it can be hard to discipline yourself as to which one to work on, and you can be trying to work on one when another character or scene will spring unbidden to mind.

Discipline helps. For me, that's been something I've learnt, to an extent, from the Short Story Competitions at Liberty Hall - by focussing on deadlines I'm generally finding it easier to work on one thing at a time, rather than scattershot.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely a problem. I once wrote a short story, back in the bad old days of typewriting, where for half a page I used the name of the lead character of the novel I was then working on. It was a year, half a dozen form rejections, and a critiquer who asked "Who is this?" before I noticed it. Boy, talk about embarrassing...

I wish I had a remedy, 'cause it still comes up now and then. And a lot of my characters are cut from the same cloth, so it's hard to tell them apart, really.

Then again, this is a problem in the writing stage. In the spinning-around-my-head stage, mostly they don't have names...sometimes they don't even have character...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, a stiff drink is definitely the solution to this problem. Did wonders for F. Scott Fitzgerald. His life was the sort of endless bliss to which we should all aspire.
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

I never said I was an alcoholic. Just overwhelmed.
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I never said you were an alcoholic, either. Just a bit of snappy author-talk to keep the discussion lively.

Still, May 5th is a good day for a margarita.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

Margaritas are definitely good, but Mr. Quervo is not my friend
wyrd1
Member # 3366

- posted      Profile for wyrd1   Email wyrd1         Edit/Delete Post 
Did Fitzgerald write "The Great Gatsby" while drunk? It seemed like he did, but I thought the book was crap and only a strong will and a fast reading speed that got me through it.

My point is: Don't drink and write. Do relax though. Meditate and take a walk. Focus by not focusing. That was zen this is dao. Relax and breathe , breathing very important, if you stop...

Posts: 48 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

If Fitzgerald was drunk when he wrote The Great Gatsby...

quote:
You ask us to believe that you can read between the lines of the text. In support of this contention, you present no evidence other than your obvious inability to read the lines themselves

Okay, so it isn't really a quote.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

Hmm. Maybe it should be a quote.
Survivor
Member # 213

It's a paraphrase. Original is cast in the third person, which probably makes it more versitile.
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
This is as good a place as any to post this question. Has anyone tried giving up all thought of commerical considerations and writing solely to please themselves? How long did it take and how well did it work?
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I did, from 2000 to 2004. I'd come to the conclusion that, if all I was getting from paying markets were rejection slips, I might as well try writing something just for the fun of it, without hope of selling. I called it "Internet Fan Fiction." (Well, a lot of people who do it called it that. I called it that, too.)

I thought it worked out fairly well. I think more people read the hundred thousand or so words I posted than read the million-five words I wrote to send to publishers. Certainly I got more comments on them than anything else I'd written. And it seemed my stuff was liked and appreciated and admired---it's one thing to think you're a good writer, which I did, but another for somebody to tell you you're good. (I haven't been sued yet, either...but that may be for another discussion some time from now.)

Of course, I think I was writing to please myself first, and to please other people second, long before this period. Certainly I try to do so now.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I never had any commercial considerations from the beginning...there are much easier ways for a person with my capabilities to get money, after all.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.