Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Man Advice about Emotions

Author Topic: Man Advice about Emotions
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I need more man advice. I have a scene I'm working on with my male MC, and I suspect I am tending toward making his reactions to a highly emotionally charged event too "girlie." In other words, I keep wanting to have him cry.

Thus I am conducting a quick survey and asking the men for advice.

Here's my character: My male MC is noble-born, a pacifist and a scholar. He is book-smart, and real-life experience weak, thus he has the cocky self-assuredness of a young man fresh out of college who hasn't yet been tested in the real world.

Background: He is leading a small group across dangerous lands. He has employed a female healer, and a warrior to ride with them for protection. There are two other members of the party: a young girl and the healer's brother.

Scenario: The party has been attacked, the healer kidnapped, their horses all killed or stolen, the brother is gravely wounded. The warrior has recently been injured so was semi-incapacitated at the time of the attack; he has, however, acquited himself admirably. But the MC fumbled, unprepared, unable to muster an adequate defense and thus couldn't save the healer from being taken captive.

The MC feels overwhelming guilt that the kidnapping of the healer is his fault. He also feels guilt, not knowing if the brother will recover or not. In short, the entire quest has unraveled and he feels like it's his fault for endangering these people, for being inadequate and unable to protect them.

My dilema: So, immediately after the attackers leave, I'm trying to decide how he responds to all this. Is fighting back tears too "girlie"? (He doesn't normally cry. He's normally pretty stoic.) He's a pacifist, so he doesn't tend toward rage (punching things, etc) to deal with his frustration. Or, is there a male response I'm not thinking of that might be more likely?

A woman would just cry at this point. What I need to know is: what is a likely male response when he's consumed with guilt, knowing he's screwed up in a big, catastrophic way that hurts other people?

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
A heavy feeling in the chest; a wish to deny reality; and tears.

I was reading on some joke page about when a Real Man can cry. Loss of one's body parts, death of a family member, and having one's team lose were the valid reasons. In your story, we've got a horrific situation, and a family member may be dead. In real life, tears are OK.

But this is fiction, and according to OSC, if you want your readers to feel something, don't let your MC blubber all over or punch holes in the walls; let him blink back those tears. I don't know if he's right, but it sort of makes sense. MC represses the feeling, so we get to feel it.

BTW your description here of the disaster was very moving: facts about what happened, and with some hint as to what MC is feeling, we can fill in the rest, I think.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited May 07, 2006).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
I am thinking it would depend on what would be culturally acceptable for men, in your world, especially for his social status? Are they allowed to show emotions, or do they refrain from doing so?

Also too, how important is it to your MC to keep these social norm? Does he think them too strict, archaic, or flexible?

This is going to be an interesting dilemma for you to resolve, I look forward to seeing your conclusions in F & F.

[This message has been edited by mommiller (edited May 07, 2006).]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoctivigantR
Member # 3389

- posted      Profile for NoctivigantR   Email NoctivigantR         Edit/Delete Post 
You put him in a position for anger, grief, or maybe numbness (with shock symptoms). Also, there’s no reaction at all—like nothing too unusual has happened—but it seems like that’s just a prelude to one of the above.

Anger really isn’t an option?

Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

quote:
Anger really isn’t an option?

Yes, he IS angry... angry at himself for putting everyone at danger. His choices led everyone to this moment, this place, and he's overwhelmed with anger and guilt and a feeling of utter failure.

Will, I would be interested in having you expound just a little on the advice OSC gives regarding this sort of thing? Am I understanding correctly? I am taking this to mean that the most effective way to convey the emotion is to understate it a little... let the reader know the MC is wresting with that emotion, but if you exaggerate the response overmuch, the reader won't feel it as strongly?

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited May 07, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
It seems he is in the position of a leader, and it's very important for a leader not to show weakness, yet not to seem unsympathetic to the problems of those he is leading.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

Except he doesn't think of himself as a leader... the role has been thrust upon him, because it's his mission and the others are sort of just tagging along. He's lived as a student until recently. He's uncomfortable with being a leader and has been uncertain he's qualified for the task.
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
If he cries a lot, readers will see him as sort of a pathetic figure. If you can work that into what they call an "arc" you're in good shape.
Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Elan,
The situation would make you want to do anything to fix it.
He stuffed it up, he's got to fix it.

There is an obverse to the "cocky young man" coin, it is the one where he is fighting to understand his own identity. That side of the coin is full of duty and honour and 'doing the right thing' and family honour, The who am I side of the coin.

Both the 'cocky young man' and the 'honour bound and dutiful young man' are about how the MC sees himself. For him to dissolve in tears at this juncture says as much as how he sees himself as it does about how he wants to see himself.

Different tack: Right or wrong, I would hold-off on thinking about how I was feeling in order to do something — anything — about the problem. I would have to do something, now and absolutely, or I would spontaneously combust.

When I know I have stuffed something up in a huge way, and it's no one else's fault but my own, I can't rest until it is as fixed-up as possible. After I have got to the end — the real end, where all my options are exhausted and I have done all I could and it's still not fixed, my duty unfulfilled and my honour in question and my self-doubt confirmed— that's when I would hit the schnapps.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited May 07, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I asked my husband. He said he wouldn't cry, but he would be having problems with being a pacifist at that point. My husband suggested that his reaction would be an internal struggle between his natural urge to be agressive and his percieved nature as an intellectual who is above base emotions--maybe he'd feel or become physically ill.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited May 07, 2006).]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

I guess that's what I was trying to say too. The internal stuff would (for many) be about struggling with a view of who you are opposed to what the latest evidence suggests...

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited May 07, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, to be blunt he's a young nobleman who got his butt kicked, lost a few friends and has a cockiness to him. Sounds like me

Anyways, the way I would act is simple. I'd sit there, beating myself up while growing in evermore guilt, hate and anger. I would take it upon myself to go out and rescue everyone, no matter the cost.

If I, in real life, fail at something and I beat myself up, I tend to think of all the negatives and everything that could have been different, while trying to think up scenario's about how I could have prevented it.

I would do that for a while and tend to be by myself until I finally decide to make it right.

Depending on the situation I would go at it again and get it done, regardless of the personal cost. Pain is a fickle thing while trying to do what you feel is right.

Anyways Elan, I hope this helps you out a little more. Take it from a young, cocky man who has yet to test himself, THAT's how I would act.

Edit: Added a few more words to make it sound more like sense.

[This message has been edited by Leigh (edited May 07, 2006).]

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Elan, that's pretty much what I think OSC was saying. My take on it is that I want the reader to know that my character cares a lot about what's happening, and is feeling tremendous grief/rage/whatever, but is suppressing it. Supposedly this works in acting, too. Keep your actors' faces deadpan for to make the audience roll in the aisles; make them suppress their tears so that the audience will blubber. I don't know enough about theater to comment.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Works for me. I could name some examples, but one that springs to mind was what our drama teacher told us about a live performance of a play about Auschwitz. A girl in it cried so much as to literally form a puddle of tears, and yet didn't evoke as much emotion in the audience as a different girl playing the same role in another production who cried much less if at all.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
This scenario kind of strikes me as one of those war movie situtaions, where an upstart Captain is trained at some academy, but has no experience. He is sent to the front line and quickly learns that he knows essentially nothing where real life experiences are concerned. There is typically a war-worn Seargent who helps him through, despite his hatred of this man. the new Captain usually screws up and Sarge has to pull his ass out of the fire, but only after a few good men die.

The fresh Captain then goes through a tough period of mourning and self-hatred. He may even try to take his own life, or go off crazy and and get wounded. Think of James Dean, (great example of emotional displays). He then will go take revenge on the people who killed his men and usually comes off as the hero, or dies trying. If he does die, then everyone (especially) the Sarge, comes together and immortalizes him in some way.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

um... all that's very nice, TruHero, but MY question was: does it make him want to cry?
hoptoad
Member # 2145

No one wants to cry.

Why would he cry?

I'd say Truhero is saying, the guy would DO something.

He would substitute feeling sorry for himself with action unless he couldn't give a damn, and in this case I think he does.

trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
If you take home this one lesson about men, it's almost enough: men are about action.

They do things. They don't usually talk over their feelings (even to themselves), they don't mope about while there's still something to be done, they don't agonize much about the proper solution. (Your intellectual might do a bit more of the last.) They're almost never paralyzed with emotion of any kind.

Reflection comes afterward, when the job's done, when there's absolutely nothing left to do. If there are multiple jobs, it can happen between. But while there's something to do, it's mostly bloody-minded determination to finish, fix, and make right.

This all goes for young men in particular.

I think it works in your favor. From a dramatic standpoint, creeping self-doubt and helplessness are much better than a truckload all at once that the hero gets over with a good sob. And as others have said, you can also use your man's natural stoicness to cause the reader to take a lot of it upon himself.

If you want to throw a real curveball, you can make this action-orientedness cause more harm. Tease your hero with the apparently opposite goals of doing right and doing now until he strikes a good balance or realizes that sometimes there isn't one.

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited May 08, 2006).]

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought--is it necessarily true that a pacifist wouldn't experience rage? I've seen many supposed pacifist's at anti-war demonstrations showing all kinds of rage.

That being said, this character wouldn't be sympathetic to me as a reader if he broke down and cried over this. He could be blinking back tears or whatever, but in my mind, it should lead to a resolve to undo the damage he has caused, and give him the fortitude to do so.

That's just my opinion as a man, so take it for what it's worth.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jammrock
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Jammrock   Email Jammrock         Edit/Delete Post 
He might unconsciously cry while kicking everything in sight and screaming in frustration. But cry cry ... I wouldn't buy that as being in character for a "noble-born...cocky self-assuredness of a young man." Noble-born male automatically tells me that he is "trained" to control emotions, whether pacifist or otherwise. And being a man, I can tell you it's easier to control tears than it is anger.

My $0.02.

Jammrock

Posts: 136 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Pacifists succumb to rage as easily as anyone else. Often more easily, pacifism is a philosophical outlook that does little to actually control your emotions. Most purely philosophical notions can be effectively challanged even by situations that should have no logical connection to the philosophy. Pacifism rarely survives once the pacifist has reason to hate another. This can be commonly seen in the venom that pacifists often unlease against those whom they see as "warmongers".

There is also the matter of fear. Fear, particularly shameful fear that is not ameliorated by any memory of heroic action, will give way to hate. Maybe Yoda says this, but it's still true. Christ goes so far as to make fear, rather than hate, the opposite of love. A fearful man is particularly prone to hatreds. Women have some weird mechanism that lets them subsume fear into their sexual impulse under many circumstances, but that's much less plausible for men.

Ultimately, the result depends on why he's a pacifist. If he's a pacifist because he's personally killed/injured too many people to ever willingly fight again, then it is unlikely that he will give in to these feelings of rage. If he honestly believes that the attackers are strongly moral, and thus will understand the injustice of what they have done and repair it, then there is some potential for an intellectual defense of his pacifism. In almost any other case, it would be very unlikely that he would be able to remain pacifistic in outlook.

For myself, pacifism can only be rooted in the belief that violence against a specific individual would be unwarrented and counterproductive. Note that's a strong "and", I'm not a pacifist when violence is only unwarrented or only counterproductive Most humans are not so logical, and your character doesn't have anything in his background that would seem likely to make him fundamentally averse to feelings of rage once they were applied to his personal enemies.

As for whether it makes him want to cry...men do sometimes want to cry and find themselves incapable of this mode of expression. But usually a man wants to cry as an expression of mourning. In other words, if he wants to cry, it's because he is giving up and saying that nothing can be done. The actual impulse to cry can come from any strong emotion, such as relief or laughter. But the desire to shed tears is mostly connected to expressing grief.

I think that some of the comments already should be showing you that, but it does need careful explanation. Men don't want to cry unless they need to show deep remorse over something that they do not intend to repair.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
The only important thing is that his reaction is interesting to the reader. In the lingo of Scene and Structure you are writing the sequel to the battle scene. The sequel releases the tension of the battle and develops plot and character. After a tense action scene many writers throw in a sequel that bores the readers.

Don't do that.

Write a sequel that is interesting. Fascinate us with the MC's reaction. Shock us with a revelation about a minor character or your world or the villain. Make the hero scream or cry or curse the gods.

Or make him ponderous and quiet. Maybe in a Clint Eastwoodesque way. As long as it is interesting your readers will be happy.

If the battle scene does not lead into an interesting sequel then re-write the battle. If your hero's personality does not allow an interesting sequel then get a new hero. Or have him break character. But whatever you do, don't make his reaction boring to the reader!

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
Being a man, and having been in a comparative situation myself (with the exception of the fighting), I can say that my first reaction was numb disbelief...and I mean numb, as in 'liquid nitrogen on the frontal lobe' numb. My second reaction was deliberate disbelief, shortly followed by angry 'moping.' Tears had nothing to do with it. I was livid...so angry at myself for being both young and stupid that my effectiveness at salvaging anything from the situation was effectively nullified.

That is, until a more mature friend gave me a sound verbal lashing, followed by an almost tender session of both admonishment, advice, and the usual motivational BS that most men spout effortlessly (myself included, nowadays). Needless to say, it worked...because everything my friend said was true and I knew it. Also, because everything he said made sense (and this would be particularly true for a deductive reasoning-model character type), I was able to throw myself into the advised course of action.

I took his advice and turned my anger into some useful motivation. It didn't save me from making the mistake, or really prevent the ramifications of said error, but it did help me understand that as a fallible human I'll always make mistakes, regardless of how experienced I am, and that the best possible thing I can do is "suck it up" and do my best to "not screw the pooch the same way again" (yes, those are direct quotes; no, they didn't sound that silly when he said them). In other words, how you react to a serious mistake is more important than endlessly rehashing how you could have done it differently.

And that's how I reacted. It may not be a perfect example, since everyone's different and you probably don't (for your own safety) want to use me as a template, but it is the truth. When discussing emotions from a purely logical standpoint, honesty is the best policy. In a social setting, lie all you want.

That doesn't mean I don't cry, though. I bawled like a babe after I tanked a math course in my freshman year of college. I hate math...but that's beside the point. My advice would be to utilize one of your other characters (perhaps the warrior, since he sounds like a more experienced, 'worldly' individual from your basic description) to both chastize and bolster your MC. That tends to work with young, arrogant, self-realized intellectuals quite nicely, I assure you.

Hope something from this anti-succinct discourse helps.

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited May 08, 2006).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify, Crying is the last, no, very last thing I'd do. I could make an itemized list of the things I might do first in this case, but that'd take too long. As far as I can tell, crying never solves anything. It's what you do with that emotion instead of wasting it on crying that really matters.

And the idea of being a pacifist never holds much weight with me. It only takes losing some things you personally hold dear, for that idea to melt away. At that point we are back to either wasting time crying, or getting off your butt and doing something about it. Your character can cry at the funeral, after he has taken care of business. Then the crying can mean something of than self-pity.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Another clarification, though I mentioned this, men do often cry even though they'd probably rather die (sometimes literally). So just because your guy may not want to cry, it could still happen. Just like he might wet his pants during the attack. It would be humiliating and unmanly, but that kind of thing does happen when untrained humans are exposed to combat for the first time (and training doesn't guarantee it won't happen anyway).

Heck, the pants wetting thing...it makes perfect sense. When you're about to engage in fight or flight behavior with your life on the line, you cannot afford the extra energy needed for sphincter control. If you get killed, those muscles will relax anyway. But it's still widely regarded as a terrible failing. It happens, it would be very likely to happen to a young pacifist in his first real battle, but maybe you don't have your guy wetting himself.

The crying thing...it's just as physiological, though not as easy to explain. And for a guy, it's just as private. My personal viewpoint is that I like to savor emotions strong enough to bring tears to my eyes. Actually crying can drain off those emotions very quicky (and if you try to manufacture more of the emotion to make up the difference, it tastes fake). The only emotion I've experienced with enough power to force me to cry (blood rather than tears and whimpers, but it was definitely weeping) is...well, no need to say

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

"Of those two young hearts Tom's suffered the most unmixed pain, for Maggie, with all her keen susceptibility, yet felt as if the sorrow made larger room for her love to flow in, and gave breathing-space to her passionate nature. No true boy feels that; he
would rather go and slay the Nemean lion, or perform any round of heroic labors, than endure perpetual appeals to his pity, for evils over which he can make no conquest."

From "The Mill on the Floss," by George Eliot. For a work written long ago in another country before over a century of drastic social changes, it still rings true, displaying what a wonderful judge of human nature its author was.

pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on how you want the character/story to evolve next. It is perfectly reasonable for this character (pacifist, scholar, book-smart, experience weak) to cry. It would also be reasonable to have the macho manly-man cry as well, though it would be a different character development.

Normally being stoic, does the MC then pull himself together and try to resolve the situation, or does the story go on to deal with him being depressed and unable to deal with the situation? Two very different tales. If you're reluctant to make him cry, are you sure he should?

If he doesn't cry, the next likely step is to "take control" of the situation. If that isn't the tale you want to tell, the he cries... despite the stereotype, men do cry (even the macho ones). From my experience, it is generally preferred to be a very private matter.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a pivotal questions, and not one that anyone else can answer for you. This is a turning point in the character's life, and how he reacts will shape the rest of the story.

Does he give up? Does he wait for someone else to act? Does he think rationally? Does he lash out at those around him? Does he accept blame, or lay it on someone else? Does he plan, or act on impulse? Does he accept the emotions he's feeling, try to deny them, maybe even act contrary to them?

I've run into the same problem in a few of my stories, and every time I do, it's because I haven't gotten to know the character enough yet, and I'm not sure where the story is going.

quote:
A woman would just cry at this point.

Oh no you didn't.

[This message has been edited by MightyCow (edited May 10, 2006).]

Posts: 86 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Elan, my sporty little British friend, are you getting anything useful out of this?

Remember, in fiction realism must take a back seat to excitement.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

quote:
Elan, my sporty little British friend

How intriguing. I'm American, but I'll assume this is a compliment? I'm not sure why...

Am I getting anything out of this discussion? You betcha. When I ask for male opinions, I like to sit back and let the comments roll in without interjecting too much of my own (female) opinion.

I've learned some important things about men by doing this. (Handy for life in general, as well as writing.)

For instance, what I've interpreted from this discussion is that men channel their strong emotions into action. Once they've acted, and the dust settles, THEN they can deal with their emotions.

Women, on the other hand, usually FIRST release their emotions through crying. This, I think, clears them out of our way enough that we can then move into action unimpeded.

Both ways to deal with upsetting events, both effective in their own way.

Understanding how and why a MAN would respond a certain way helps me, not only with my current story scene, but as I write my way deeper into the book. I want to make my male character seem real enough that a man, reading this story, wouldn't be jarred out of the story by thinking, "This is unrealistic; this has to have been written by a woman." I've run into several stories written by men where I think to myself: "A woman would NEVER react or behave in this way."

In my specific scene as mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I needed to figure out where the threshold exists to bring a man to tears. I will make some slight adjustments to my story based on the comments I've received here. I planned to have him blink back tears (while not actually crying), but I'll put stronger emphasis on moving into action as a way for him to cope.

Thanks so much for your input, everyone!!!
*blows a kiss*

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited May 10, 2006).]

RCSHIELDS
Member # 3362

- posted      Profile for RCSHIELDS   Email RCSHIELDS         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent Elan, you are quite right there is a major difference in how men and women react to stressful situations. Men do tend to channel strong emotion into action, while women prefer to be introspective. Tend and prefer being the operative words here as generalizations are only generally accurate at best so you’re still not off the hook.

In the situation you described emotions are high, testosterone and adrenaline are flowing, and you’ve left your MC only one choice – do or do not, there is no cry.

If the MC chooses to do something, emotions may wash over him as he carries on through unvoiced tears, or he can choose to delay the strong emotions and try to fix the situation. Delay of strong emotions increases the impact exponentially to the amount of time one delays those emotions. Hence, the copious amounts of alcohol consumed while trying not to be introspective when the time inevitably arrives, unless, of course, your introspective pacifist is also a non-drinker.

If the MC chooses not to do anything, your warrior will most certainly act, if he/she is still alive, allowing the MC no opportunity for introspection. Women warriors tend to behave as men and are generally (there’s that word again) far more ruthless than their male counter parts. The action taken by your warrior will depend on the condition of his/her health and personality. The warrior’s action could range from a verbal dressing down to a massive backhand plus a verbal dressing down calculated to inspire the MC into action. Failing that, or if the MC starts crying, the warrior may simply try to kill the boob. By the way, carrying on through unvoiced tears could trigger the warrior to act as well.

Killing the boob is currently called fragging. In war, to stay alive, you eliminate threats to your continued living by removing them permanently. Fragging eliminates weak leaders who fail to act in situations where action is required or eliminates leaders whose judgment endangers their troops. Fragging is an ugly and morally reprehensible practice that haunts all battlefields and is a very real part of armed combat. Your educated nobleman who is not interested in being a leader should know this and probably recognize this threat at the decision cusp. The MC will also know that being noble won’t save him if the warrior decides he is a threat to the warrior’s existence.

Rob.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

yes but the question is: how many leaders are fragged for trying to stop the troops doing something morally reprehensible or stupid?

eeesh what a sticky, oozing underside there is to all this -- something profoundly darwinian about it all.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited May 10, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

It depends on the level and kind of discipline you've got. It also depends on how you personally define "morally reprehensible or stupid". It isn't like there is universal agreement on the matter, and often the two conflict with each other. If your enemies are using women and children as human shields (let alone if the women and children are actively helping the enemy), it is stupid to go to great lengths to avoid hurting "noncombatants". We do it, and we've found out that it just encourages our enemies to use women and children in combat. All the same, our soldiers share the value system that says it is morally reprehensible to shoot women and children, so there isn't any serious problem. But the thing about a negative order, i.e. one phrased as "do not", is that generally they don't involve doing anything irrevocable.

In other words, it's "do not...while I'm watching".

Usually it's just not worth the trouble of fragging an officer over such a minor inconvenience. Besides, there's also the issue of ROE and training. If the order that you not do something comes from on high, then it doesn't make much sense to frag your officer for reitererating that order. Killing him doesn't change anything. It may still make sense to kill him because he'll be a witness, but that's a different beast entirely from fragging. His position as an officer has nothing to do with why you're killing him.

It also depends on whether your warriors volunteered to serve under the command of the officer, at least in concept. Fragging is largely a relic of the past for our own army because we no longer criminalize refusal to serve in the military. This warrior probably volunteered at the outset to help this noble, even if there was some kind of honor thingy involved. So he might abandong the guy to his own devices, but there isn't any real reason for him to kill the guy. Of course, if there was an honor thingy involved, it might be his duty to the noble's family to ensure that the fellow returns carrying his shield or lying on it. But that also is fundamentally different from fragging, since in this case he would be following the prescribed codes of conduct.

Anyway, it all just goes to show what a fundamentally stupid idea the draft was in the first place. First off, people who wouldn't volunteer for combat anyway make lousy soldiers. They may not share your military's goals, or they may be terrified of danger, or they may not be any good at taking orders. Whatever the reason, they'll just eat up more of your logistical resources without adding anything to your combat power. Secondly, they'll be in constant conflict with the officers you set over them. You'll be fighting them as much as the enemy, and sometimes it does come to "fragging" or field executions. And thirdly, it is extremely demotivating for your real soldiers, the ones that want to fight for your cause, both because they have to put up with the conscripts (which will inevitably form the bulk of your force if you're using the draft in a serious way, usually about 80-90%), and because the officers often will lump them in together.

The only good way to use conscripts is as hostages. You keep them unarmed, restrict their movement, and use them as meat shields. Or maybe for target practice. If you're not planning to do something like that with them, then don't take them along in the first place.

pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you’ve left your MC only one choice – do or do not, there is no cry.
I disagree completely. Cry is a valid option, at least in reality.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystic
Member # 2673

- posted      Profile for Mystic   Email Mystic         Edit/Delete Post 
Panic Attack, but no tears. When I can't get angry in a situation where I have done something stupid, because of rules or something, my breathing increases, my thoughts get all rapid and frantic, and the world arounds me seems to swirl.
Posts: 162 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corin224
Member # 2513

- posted      Profile for Corin224   Email Corin224         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my take.

In my experience men don't cry until there is nothing, and I mean ABSOLUTELY nothing they can do to distract themselves from the need to cry.

One of the best moments I can remember in a story was at the end of 24, season 3. The crisis is over, everything's back to semi-normal, and good 'ol Jack Bauer heads out to his car and has no crisis, no demand for his time, no plan . . . he has nothing to distract him. Just a dead wife, a heroin habit, and nine types of guilty conscience. That absolutely unwavering rock we're used to seeing just bawls his eyes out . . . for about 30 seconds.

And then he gets a call and blinks the rest of the tears back, takes a deep breath, answers it, and drives off.

I've seen the same thing in my own life. About a year ago, I got fired . . . out of the blue. No misconduct, no budgetary constraints, I just didn't go boozing with the right people, and had a life outside of work. Despite the fact that I had made many personal sacrifices for the company, I got tossed out on my ass at about the worst time possible.

My immediate reaction was anger. I packed up, turned in my final timecard, said my goodbyes, behaved like a pro the whole time, and left. I immediately started calling people looking for work, making plans, figuring out the budget for the next month or two. When I got home, I called my relatives and ranted and raved and griped and reveled in their sympathy.

It wasn't until I was in bed that night making plans with my wife that it really hit me how deeply I had been betrayed. And when was no TV, or relatives or recruiters to distract me, that's when *I* lost it.

So . . . here's my thought. Can your hero distract himself? Is this turn of events so devestating there's NO apparent plan of action, there's no happy thought, there's no distraction he can find for himself? Then yes, I could see him inventing a reason to go "explore" the nearby woods and indulge in a blubberfest. But if there's a fresh trail he can follow, or a prisoner to interrogate, he'll distract himself with that first. Even if there's an annoying teammate or acquaintance, he'll lash out at them as a way of 'distracting' himself. Once there's nothing left, though, he'll cry.

The important part is that when it's all over, every man, and I mean EVERY post-adolescent male on the planet (boys don't count) has to do something to distract themselves again. (and a lot of the time, they accomplish a LOT in an effort to feel useful again) And once he's succeeded in distracting himself again, it's done. The same thing will never provoke him to tears again. It may eat at him, and cause him to make unwise decisions, or he'll shrug it off and start acting like an idiot, or he'll remember it and become wiser for it, or whatever you want your character's reaction to be. The one thing that he won't do is cry about the same thing again.

There's my $.02.

-Falken224 (Posing as Corin)

[This message has been edited by Corin224 (edited May 11, 2006).]

Posts: 121 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

quote:
Elan, my sporty little British friend

How intriguing. I'm American, but I'll assume this is a compliment? I'm not sure why...

Intriguing and complimentary perhaps, but not terribly mysterious. Every time I see your name I can think of only one thing. Certainly enough to bring this man to tears!

May I now assume this is not what you had in mind when you chose your name? Just goes to show that we men have one track minds.

We now return to your regularly scheduled psychoanalytical gender debate.

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited May 11, 2006).]

Elan
Member # 2442

ROFLOL!

I had no idea the name "Elan" was a car. Seriously, the only way I can tell cars apart is color:

Man: "Look at that car!"
Me: "Which one?"
Man: "That awesome... (insert technical lingo here, usually involving the term "HP" and features like "vroomability")"
Me: "That doesn't tell me anything. What COLOR is it?"

No, sadly I expressed a lack of creativity and chose to use the first name of one of my MCs in my novel. A desire to make the rough draft of this novel into a publishable draft was what prompted me to seek out advise on writing, which is how I stumbled into Hatrack. If you MUST know where I originally came up with the name "Elan", it was a variation of a character name I originally heard on Star Trek (the classic version).

Cars never factored into it. But, I'll take the association of being petite and sporty. After all, this IS fiction....

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Petite, sporty, and exotic.

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited May 12, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

I was aware that Compaq made a brief assay into the automotive world (concept only, a turbo-electric notion), but I'd never heard about HP having anything to do with cars
colorbird
Member # 3425

- posted      Profile for colorbird           Edit/Delete Post 
This discussion has been incredibly helpful!
Posts: 28 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.