Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Who has the best hooks?

Author Topic: Who has the best hooks?
Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this one from King's The Running Man:

She was squinting at the thermometer in the white light coming in through the window. Beyond her, in the drizzle, the other high-rises in Co-Op City rose like the gray turrets of a penitentiary. Below, in the airshaft, closelines flapped with ragged wash. Rats and plump alley cats circulated through the garbage.

Who really pulls you into a story within the first paragraph?

Posts: 57 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't put it down to anyone SINGLE author as there's quite a few who do, do it for me. I love many authors, some of whom I've forgotten but know they're books on site if I can find them.
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She was squinting at the thermometer in the white light coming in through the window. Beyond her, in the drizzle, the other high-rises in Co-Op City rose like the gray turrets of a penitentiary. Below, in the airshaft, closelines flapped with ragged wash. Rats and plump alley cats circulated through the garbage.

I would change "circulated" to something else that didn't imply that the rats and plump alley cats weren't doing this of their own volition. The first thought I had was of a clothes dryer, or a hydraulic system. Is that how garbage is processed in this story? Do the rats and cats form a part of a symbiotic process that breaks down the garbage for easier disposal or recycling?

"She" who? What's wrong with giving us a name? Is there a reason to hide this information?

I imagine "was squinting" could be changed to "squinted" without loss of meaning.

The "airshaft" doesn't mean anything to me. Is it a metaphor, or an actual construction? There's not much context here, so it's possible this is described in the next paragraph.

I wish I had more time - I'd ask to take a look at it. Is the story in a critiquable state?

Oh, wait, this isn't the Fragments and Feedback forum?

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
Jackass. You do know how to read, yes?

I asked a question and gave an example. I did not ask for a condesending jerk to drop in his or her worthless drivel.

[This message has been edited by Exploding Monkey (edited May 08, 2006).]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
How embarrassing.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I did not ask for a condesending jerk to drop in his or her worthless drivel

And WE did not ask for a condesending jerk to start frothing at the mouth and calling folks names.

It's easy to lose track of which forum you are in... I've posted in F&F before, forgetting I wasn't in Open Writing. And yes, sometimes people skim posts and miss pertinent information, like the fact that you are posting someone else's work and not your own.

Regardless of all that, you might ratchet down your poor attitude a notch or two, Mr. Monkey. It's not productive, nor does it contribute in a favorable way to the overall dialog of the board.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited May 08, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Exploding Monkey,
Could it be that this thread really belongs in the "Published Hooks and Books" Section of this forum? You might try that, before calling someone a Jackass. Perhaps that is what Trousercuit was trying to convey in his message, albeit, in a tongue-in-cheek manner. Either way, that response was a bit over the top, don't you think?

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And WE did not ask for a condesending jerk to start frothing at the mouth and calling folks names

Frothing at the Mouth is the name of my blog, and I started it, but that doesn't make me a condescending jerk.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, goodness. Behold the power of teh Internets! Behold, it taketh away nonverbal context and driveth its patrons to sorrow!

I actually like the hook. Yes, it belongs on the "Published Hooks and Books" section, and yes, I was kind of alluding to that, while at the same time taking a couple of good-natured (I thought) pot-shots at the membership here (myself included) for our nit-picky ways in the "Fragments and Feedback" forum.

(I actually question the usefulness of splitting the forums up so many ways. It tends to both confuse people and hide good topics. But unless Master K. wants to talk about it, that's an aside.)

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

Can anyone answer my question?

Who do you think hooks the best?

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not big on hooks. I use a deduction based system. Don't feel like revealing the identity of the POV character? Minus two. Can't be bothered to use words for their meaning rather than their affect? Minus two. Don't establish a firm setting? Minus two. Insist on choosing a pen name like "Exploding Monkey" and then living up to it by throwing a tantrum? Minus ten, automatic dismissal

I'm just kidding, it's more like minus three. No automatic disqualification just yet.

But I'm not kidding about hooks. For me, all you have to do is keep my confidence. I assume, if you've written something, that you know how to write credibly. But I'm ready to be proven wrong (and boy, do I get proven wrong a lot). Stil, it isn't possible to begin reading unless you initially believe that there is some point in doing so. So I grant a writer the assumption of coherence. Say ten points for a novice posting, twenty for someone I know has been writing seriously for a long time, and thirty for a published novel. But those extra ten or twenty points...if the first half page used up more than ten points, the next page almost always dispenses with the rest. It doesn't make that big a difference.

Sure, a deduction based system is sort of negative, but it is a good deal more fair. I'm not telling writers what they should do, only what they need to avoid. I don't strike points for things that are just my personal prefs either.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite hook this year is Ken Scholes's Action Team-Ups Number Thirty-Seven, which appeared in the Winter Issue of Shimmer (links below). By Survivor's points system, the below may be deducted a few points, but everything that Survivor mentions is developed quickly after the introduction. Normally, I'm in agreement with Survivor when it comes to developing POV, names, and setting. Sometimes I cut a little slack if the intro engages me or makes me giggle like a schoolboy, which the following does both:

quote:
Thursday, 3:32 p.m.

The dentures I lost on reconnaissance last week have come back to haunt me. Cavanaugh made a big show of it, waving them beneath my nose in the cafeteria line. Smug bastard. If I were ten years younger or if he were forty years older, I’d have shown him completely new uses for tapioca pudding. Regardless, I have my teeth back and that made lunch slightly more tolerable.

You can read the first page of Ken's story on Shimmer's site: http://www.shimmerzine.com/winter-2006/

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
The Running Man example is a perfect example of what you can do differently when you are selling books based on your name rather than wasting time working on your hooks.

As hooks go, that is one I would not keep reading. But, its a novel. The hook is not the same trick with a novel as it is a short story. Still, starting with a pronoun as a character would make me put the book down rather than buy it.

Hitchikers Guide is the only book that I ever knew right away would be a great read from the first page.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimslade
Member # 3173

- posted      Profile for Grimslade           Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! I enjoy a poster who is true to his/her name. Exploding Monkey indeed!
Welcome to the forums and please don't view every post as an attack. The people here are very nice and more than willing to help you. Some of us might come across as a little terse but we all mean well.

On the subject:

The Running Man's hook is a in the next paragraph:
"She looked at her husband. He was seated at the table, staring up at the Free-Vee with steady, vacant concentration. He had been watching it for weeks now. It wasn't like him. He hated it, always had. --- Ordinarily they never watched it. But ever since Cathy had gotten sick, he had been watching the big money giveaways. It filled her sick with fear."

That first paragraph is just garnish. Quick description of an apartment tenement. The second paragraph hooks you. Guy acting out of character. Daughter is sick. Big money giveaways. We have all the players for a nice little conflict.
The Bachman books are generally slow starters, look at Roadwork, but Running Man is a nice even paced story. King's short stories are much better for obvious hooks. Giant gaff hooks that yank you into a story.

Grim

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimslade
Member # 3173

- posted      Profile for Grimslade           Edit/Delete Post 
Pantros,
Actually, The Running Man was published under Richard Bachman, not Steve King. It wasn't until THinner was out and Misery was about to be published that King and Bachman were uncovered to be one and the same. So the name game didn't help the story in this case.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

Okay, now we're finally talk'n here!

HSO,
I liked Scholes' hook as well. You can tell right away what kind of character you're dealing with, as well as how the author does not plan to take the story too seriously. I loved it! Thanks for pointing it out! =)

Pantros,
Why does starting with a pronoun turn you off? I’m the opposite, I don’t care for the: “Jack Gorman sipped on the cup of hot Java,” or “It occurred to Tracie Hurtado that the memo was three days old…” To me, giving a name (especially both the first and last name) right from the start tells me the author does not have enough confidence in their ability to show a person’s character without giving you the standard: “Jack Fisher was a stocky man of 5’7” with a large gut and an unkempt brown beard.” I want the author to paint me a picture, not tell me a person’s stats. Why do you dislike King’s opening in this manner?

Grimslade,
I aim to please, and I’m nothing if brutally sincere and honest. =)
However, I got burnt quickly, because my past experiences on this board seemed to be a series of people attacking me for my views. Granted, I entered OSC’s forums with the wrong attitude when I first signed up, but OSC and I worked that out, and after that, I still found way too much ego and arrogance in here for my tastes. As a result, I left. When I returned the other day, I got pretty pissed to find the same BS, and lost my top. I make no apologies for this; the other poster was playing forum police and insulter at the same time, whatever the intentions were. I had a right to speak up about it. I’ll repeat what I said last year in here: Inflections in the voice cannot be heard in typed text. In addition, what you type on a board is conversation, not a novel. So no, no one understands your exact sentiments when you type something. USE SMILIES!

If these boards are consistent at all, then I expect five or six people to come in here and tell me how I’m wrong for saying what I just did, and to give me a moral lecture on why that is so. I’ll skip over any such posts.

Now back to our show… =)

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
charming.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

Exploding Monkey:

quote:
Pantros,
Why does starting with a pronoun turn you off? I’m the opposite, I don’t care for the: “Jack Gorman sipped on the cup of hot Java,” or “It occurred to Tracie Hurtado that the memo was three days old…” To me, giving a name (especially both the first and last name) right from the start tells me the author does not have enough confidence in their ability to show a person’s character without giving you the standard: “Jack Fisher was a stocky man of 5’7” with a large gut and an unkempt brown beard.” I want the author to paint me a picture, not tell me a person’s stats.

Ooh, ooh, can I answer?

First, you've presented a false dilemma. A first name will suffice: no stats or last name are necessary. What we're really looking for is a single tag - whatever it is the character is usually referred to by.

The problem with a pronoun is that you have no unique tag to hang the rest of the ideas off of. When ideas about the character are presented, the reader has to stash them away in a mental bucket labeled "Anonymous Female." Then, when the character's unique tag is finally revealed, the bucket's name has to be changed (including reverse references from the ideas, which isn't easy), or its contents have to be merged with the bucket labeled with the unique tag. All this mental merging and renaming and purging the "Anonymous Female" bucket take at least a few sentences, during which the writer has lost the reader's attention.

The writer can both save the reader from the extra work and ensure he keeps the reader's attention by just giving the character's unique tag to begin with.

If the writer needs to keep a character anonymous, descriptions like "dark figure" (cheesy - hopefully the writer comes up with something better) will do.

quote:
I’ll repeat what I said last year in here: Inflections in the voice cannot be heard in typed text. In addition, what you type on a board is conversation, not a novel. So no, no one understands your exact sentiments when you type something. USE SMILIES!

I don't like smilies. They make me feel all funny inside.

Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

That makes sense. I can understand that point of view.
Survivor
Member # 213

It's probably more compelling than "because unreferenced pronouns are gramatically incorrect." I don't even bother to say that they're gramatically incorrect, I just deduct the points and move on.

However, while I don't care about grammar per se, I am big on syntax and semantics. When you begin with a pronoun, you aren't just failing to give information, you are implying information that probably doesn't match your intent. The rule is illustrated by the exception, "I".

When you use the first person pronoun, "I", no reference is required by grammar or syntax. Indeed, if Survivor were to refer to me by name rather than by personal pronoun, I would appear to be using the third person, even though none of the other words were changed. That would constitute a grave syntax error, creating the implication that I wasn't the one being referenced. It isn't the matter of whether you use the pronoun or not, but what you imply by the usage.

Opening with an unreferenced pronoun implies that there is some reason it wouldn't be possible to give the reference. Most immediately, it seems that the POV cannot determine anything beyond the gender of the subject. I'm used to seeing openings which initially introduce the POV character only as "he" or "she", and yet it still seems like the writer is implying that the POV character (the "he/she" in question) doesn't know anything other than the gender of the subject of the first line. Just as we would expect a first person narrator to use "I" for self reference, we expect a POV character to have at least have a name. Not using one makes us wonder who is the POV.

Frequently, the author is POV cheating. The initial scene is written from a third person objective viewpoint. There is nothing wrong with third person objective viewpoint, some very fine stories are written in it. But once you start in the objective viewpoint, you can't access the characters' thoughts and feelings except by describing their actions. So most writers don't use it for more than a few lines, after which they suddenly drop into some other POV (usually third person limited omniscient) without any warning.

But the fact that I know why authors make this mistake doesn't change the fact that it is a mistake. Yes, many readers prefer to visualize the scene from the perspective of a spectator. But even those readers still suffer from the ambiguity of badly structured POV. And readers who immerse themselves in POV (who make up the bulk of those who actually prefer reading to other entertainment) will be thwarted from the first line. Of course it isn't bad to write stories that will appeal to people that would rather watch a movie, but you can do it without alienating those who would rather be reading.

[This message has been edited by Survivor (edited May 09, 2006).]

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KatFeete
Member # 2161

- posted      Profile for KatFeete   Email KatFeete         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite hooks this year, from Martha Wells's Wheel of the Infinite:

quote:
Maskelle has been asking the Ancestors to stop the rain three days running now and, as usual, they weren't listening.

Largely because it made me grin and suggested that this book wasn't, in spite of outward appearances, going to be typical fantasy. Typical fantasy takes its gods very seriously for some reason.

But hooks are a personal thing, and, as other people have suggested, they aren't totally necessary in a novel. It's a distinct plus when I read the first line and think "Oooh, this is gonna be good..." but even when picking up a book in the store, I'm gonna read a page or two, either to see whether something further in is interesting or to see whether the writing holds up to the hook. Emphasis has been placed on the hook for so long that it's common to see a really great hook segwaying into a really boring first chapter, which I think is a shame.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Marley was dead: to begin with.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is interested in reading some good hooks, try googling (or searching with your preferred search engine) "first lines" or some variation of that. There are, of course, many web sites devoted to hooks, and even some fairly decent quizzes to test your knowledge. One site that's fairly high up on the google listing is:

http://www.litline.org/ABR/100bestfirstlines.html

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If these boards are consistent at all, then I expect five or six people to come in here and tell me how I’m wrong for saying what I just did, and to give me a moral lecture on why that is so. I’ll skip over any such posts.

LMAO at all of that. Ditto, brother, D.I.T.T.O.

I had the same thought the moment I started reading Trouser's post.

Or course, in my head, I said Dumbass, not Jackass.

Perhaps it's a regional thing.

Still, my favorite hook of all time goes,

quote:
He was born with the gift of laughter and the sense that the world was mad.

Scaramouche, by Rafael Sabatini, late Forties.

[This message has been edited by Netstorm2k (edited May 09, 2006).]

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
"In the beginning..."

'Nuff said.

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

quote:
Or course, in my head, I said Dumbass, not Jackass.

You may now flame me, for I am full of love.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this does belong in the Discussing Published Hooks and Books area. Oh, well.

I submit Thomas Perry as an author who is excellent at hooking this reader. I recently read NIGHTLIFE, and he managed to hook me over and over again--his first few chapters each started with a different character, and he was able to make me interested in each character very quickly.

If you take a look, and he does that for you, too, I'd recommend studying how he does it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

Be nice Netstorm2K. Trouser already said her intentions were not to insult. However, I noticed my “here comes the lectures” comment had the desired effect: None of those types bothered to post. Thank god! Now that we’re off of that whole mess, I’d like to stick to the original topic.

Survivor,
You lost me. Although I could understand what you said, it was so technical it made my brain hurt.

Katfeete,
That line seems disjointed to me somehow. The comma placement makes me feel the way a cat must when stroked backwards.

HSO,
It never occurred to me to do such a thing. It’s such a simple suggestion that all I can say is “duh” for not thinking of it first.

Inkwell,
The Bible never hooked me, so god must need to workshop more.

KDW,
I’ll look at Perry. That in fact was the whole reason I started this thread. I want to study effective beginnings. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Exploding Monkey (edited May 10, 2006).]

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Sploding-monkey is an idiot
Trouser-recruit's post was funny...
take a look at who is doing the lecturing on this thread?
I thought you might be lonesome so I decided to keep you company and do some lecturing too.

I like the first lines of Grapes of Wrath and as Splode has not asked for comments on each other's nominated hooks I guess we better keep our opinions to ourselves, unless you happen to be Splode and can lecture, comment and generally pontificate at to your hearts delight... ( the smileys are to help you read between the lines)

PS: heh heh here comes a lecture

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited May 10, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

It's ok. His kind tends to burn out quickly. Just weather the storm. Do not engage.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

okay

was it clear that was all tongue-in-cheek?

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Oh. I just thought it sounded accurate. Never mind, then.
hoptoad
Member # 2145

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited May 10, 2006).]

Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

Casually cruising internet fish swims by, sniffs bait, decides to ignore it and moves on.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Wise fish. The Bethmonster will have to wait for another meal.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

I am patient.

trousercuit
Member # 3235

And pithy, forsooth.
RCSHIELDS
Member # 3362

- posted      Profile for RCSHIELDS   Email RCSHIELDS         Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkein's opening paragraph of The Hobbit. In a few short sentences he successfully illuminates the shire folk to the extent that from that point on he need never do it again, only reference the first paragraph.

Rob.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

You know, the Hobbit was my first gut reaction too.
I don't know why I deferred to Grapes of Wrath.

Survivor
Member # 213

If God wanted to give the Bible a "hook", it should have started with Judges 19-21.

Did any of you read that one in Sunday school?

TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor,
Don't forget Song of Solomon and Psalms? Those are much more "hooky" in my opinion. Perhaps it's a personal taste issue.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Erm...no.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.