Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Question about Italics

Author Topic: Question about Italics
Final
Member # 3414

- posted      Profile for Final           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting a short story about gladiators and I wanted to mention someone using two gladius swords. The problem I'm running across though is that the plural of the word is gladii, which is Latin. So should the being in italics or plain text? Or is it more of a preference?
Posts: 11 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, it depends on the context. If your setting is a 21st-century laboratory where two scientests are studying the metallurgical composition of a 1st-century gladius (and actually speaking in English), I would use italics.

If, however, your setting is the 1st-century and the two characters are Roman legionnaires or gladiators, I would not use italics (since the context is different...local). The two characters are assumed (perhaps subconsciously, on the reader's part) to be speaking in Latin, but their words are instantly and automatically translated to English for the benefit of the audience.

Just my opinion.

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited May 08, 2006).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RCSHIELDS
Member # 3362

- posted      Profile for RCSHIELDS   Email RCSHIELDS         Edit/Delete Post 
Inkwell's suggestion is excellent but you're the writer, you know the story, what feels best to you? What puts across the story best for your audience?

I did, however, learn on another writers' workshop that some editors despise italics. So now the question would be, do you write for the audience, the editor, or yourself?

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Final
Member # 3414

Thank you all for the information. I think I've found how I'm going to go about it. I appreciate the help.

[This message has been edited by Final (edited May 08, 2006).]

Posts: 11 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a first-person narrative in Latin would be tough to sell, yes. On the plus side, you wouldn't need to use italics.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you do use gladius, remember that it is generally a noun rather than an adjective.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Final
Member # 3414

I agree about putting the whole story in the old language, it would definitely be a hard sell. The use of gladius is something else I need to think about a little more. Thank you for all the help.
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
There is the opposite problem. When the narrator is, in my case, an alien, speaking presumably his language and an English word comes up, I italicized the English word since in the context of the story, it is a foreign term.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.