Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Want to crack my whip?

Author Topic: Want to crack my whip?
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings!

I am now looking for someone to take up the role of "Whip Cracker".

I need someone to work out a submission schedule to increase work flow. In my mind a story a day is not a problem, but reality says different. So I am looking for someone to help work out a time frame for story submissions so that I have to write something in order to meet the goal. Quality of work is not a goal with this program as much as finished stories are. Word count is a subjective theory with no play in this setup, only that there is a finished work by the deadline.

The person who takes this role gets to harass me if I fail to send notice that a story is completed (preferably notice in the form of said story). Critiquing is not required for this post, but it is a bonus. The person who takes this role does not have to read the story, only receive it and agree to not pass it on and such.

Anyone interested in filling this position should contact me via comment or email. Please specify the level of effort willing to be made on your part (just harassing and deleting received files or actual feedback on stories). Also, if you would like a return prodding on a similar level, please include what you are looking for in return.

Thank you.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Um... it sounds like you are looking for a mom. My own little birds have flown the nest, and I am basking in the relief of not having to nag someone to do what they already know they need to do, so your "offer" has zero appeal to me.

I hate to break the bad news to you, but this is completely a matter of self-discipline, honey. No one can give it to you but yourself. If you want it bad enough, you'll make it happen without outside force.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grijalva
Member # 3295

- posted      Profile for Grijalva   Email Grijalva         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, thats a little crazy to ask of anyone. The only way I think your going to get someone to do that is by taking a creative writing class at some college.

I think everyone struggles to write everyday, I know I do; it does get easier if you keep with it, especially when you notice your getting better.

For me, this is all I have. My major is english, with a emphasis in Creative Writing, so I have to motivate myself each day to write and study others writing. It comes down to a point where it becomes more than a hobby, and you realize if you really want to try and make it in this profession or not.

[This message has been edited by Grijalva (edited May 10, 2006).]

Posts: 98 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

While I understand what both of you are saying, what I am asking for is not a new thing.

It is an arrangement that I have seen other writers set up before and am merely looking for someone who is interested in participating. A critique group will sometimes have a productivity goal for their members, I am simply asking if anyone would be interested in forming such a group that focus the productivity goal part rather than the critique portion (since critiques are easier to come by than friendly deadlines).

I am not asking for a mother, I am asking for a friendly arrangement. This is not unlike the prodding that friends and such do for people participating in NaNoWriMo. I am not new to writing, nor is there any question of writing being "more than a hobby".

I am aware of the self-discipline that is part of writing, and is part of writing professionally. Discipline can be developed from internal or external sources and is not an issue here. I simply would prefer to establish a more social situation in regards to creating first drafts and increasing output. It is not that I can not get myself to sit down and write, it is that I would like to write more and I would like to build relationships while I am at it.

Deadlines create a fun challenge and tend to mean more since there is someone there at the finish line. That is part of the advantage of NaNo, the word count is tallied by an outside group and others can see your progress or lack there of. The flash challenge at Liberty Hall has people who get to see the finished story and everyone knows if it was within the time limit or not.

Writing does not have to be a lonely event where a person's only contact with other writers is when picking apart each other's works. Message boards and writing groups are proof that most writers do want contact with peers.

Besides, I see no harm in simply asking. I am hoping for responses from people who are interested, but a lack of interested parties will not prevent my progress as a writer, nor will it even be a disappointment. I just figured I would put the question out there.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grijalva
Member # 3295

- posted      Profile for Grijalva   Email Grijalva         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, ok I see what you mean now, well kind of. I dont really no anything about NaNo, or what it does, or is. But your kind of talking about workshopping with other people, to critque and give advice on their stories, via email?

Sounds interesting, just need more info on what your getting at... Sorry I'm a little slow.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

I think you are asking the wrong question. You are asking: "Who want to make me stay on task?"

What you need to ask is this: "Who wants to become a writing partner/friend, where I can send you stories and I set deadlines for myself that I will honor because now I have someone who expects me to, and I will provide the same support and help for you."

The difference between the two requests is that #1 is all about you... there is no benefit to the other person, only obligation and responsibility.

#2 is a collaborative relationship that benefits you both equally.

It's all in your presentation.

This, by the way, is a perfect topic for the "Writing Groups" forum. In essence, what you are seeking is the support of a writing group, even if it's only a group of you and one other person.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited May 10, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

Good point Elan.

I wrote my request on the basis of expressing what I want would set proper expectation. The final line of "if you would like a return prodding on a similar level, please include what you are looking for in return" I guess gets lost under all the prior information.

Also, I will move my reply to the forum group. :-)

Thank you!

Elan
Member # 2442

I should have amended my post to add that the reason I suggested you post it in the groups forum isn't that it isn't appropriate here, but that people looking for the same sort of support you are might be checking there, whereas this post will get lost as it ages down the list in a very short period of time.
JmariC
Member # 2698

True, though I think there is more traffic in this section than the groups section. '-)

Post made there (including explaination of Nano)!

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You really should work your pool of working critics and readers. If that pool is too small for your needs, then expand it. FF is a good place to do that, as is the groups section.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.