Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Ask Mr. Writing Person: The Hook

Author Topic: Ask Mr. Writing Person: The Hook
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, friends, it's time for Ask Mr. Writing Person, the only weekly advice column on the Internet that's neither weekly, a column, nor full of advice. [Ed: It's actually one of six million, but we'll let Mr. Writing Person have his fantasy for now.]

Our question du jour comes from Greg Winnemucca of Reno, Nevada, who is having problems. (Allow me a sly snicker.) Problems writing hooks, that is:

Q. Hi, I'm Greg Winnemucca...

A. Yep. We knew that.

Q. ...and I'm having problems...

A. Knew that, too.

Q. ...writing hooks.

A. Oh.

Q. I can come up with a good first sentence, but the first paragraph is nearly killing me.

A. Only nearly? How disappointing. Shoot us a first sentence, then, and we'll fix it up.

Q. Okay, here goes:

Elaine stared out at the street below, wondering if she ought to plug the guy downstairs.

A. That's it?

Q. Yeah. Catchy, isn't it?

A. It has major problems, Mr. Moccasins, major problems. The first is, it needs another sentence.

Q. Yeah, that's what I--

A. Here's a revision:

Elaine stared out at the street below, wondering if she ought to plug the guy downstairs. He was a robot, see, and he was leaking out all over the place.

Q. He's not a robot--

A. Stick with me, here. What readers hate most is to have something left undescribed, especially when it's essential to the plot. They need things 100% clear. We didn't know what "plug" means in this context, and we didn't know why Elaine wanted to do it. Now we do.

Q. Okay.

A. Next, readers need a sense of mystery. Not a lot, because a mystery can't carry a hook, but just enough to keep them interested. The easiest way to do it is to name your character something unpronounceable, like Myxinxy'jhidingmts or something. Second best is to lead with a pronoun (which, incidentally, is Latin for "easy to pronounce"). I prefer "it":

It stared out at the street below, wondering if it ought to plug the guy downstairs. He was a robot, see, and he was leaking out all over the place.

Q. But she's a woman!

A. Excactly! "It" is gender-neutral, which means we can change it later. It's part of the mystery! The first question your reader is asking is, "What gender is this person or thing?" A mystery! Isn't that clever?

Q. Sure.

A. This leads me to pacing. If you start with a tight sentence like that, you need to follow it up with something slower. We've already started slowing down, so let's finish:

It stared out at the street below, wondering if it ought to plug the guy downstairs. He was a robot, see, and he was leaking out all over the place. "It" was named Elaine, a woman, really, and she lived in a two-bedroom, 600-square-foot apartment at the top of a 49-storey high-rise that was named after Abraham Lincoln. A cloudy sunset cast its molten gaze across her silhouette like an orange cookie cutter pressed into warm asphalt.

A. Isn't that wonderful?

Q. Yeah.

A. Readers also love imagery and lots of details, so we threw those in, too. Now, one major problem with this is a total lack of conflict. One great trick you can use is to start off with some emotionally-charged dialogue. You can also sprinkle the paragraph with emotional words and imagery. We're partly there, so let's dribble some more in and add some dialogue:

"You idiot!" she screamed.

It stared out at the street below, wondering if it ought to plug the guy downstairs. He was an angry robot, see, and he was leaking out all over the place. "It" was named Elaine, a short-tempered woman, really, and she lived in a two-bedroom, 600-square-foot apartment at the top of a 49-storey high-rise that was named after Abraham Lincoln, who occasionally got into fistfights. A cloudy sunset cast its molten gaze across her silhouette like an orange cookie cutter pressed into warm asphalt.

Q. What do Abraham Lincoln's fistfights have to do with anything?

A. Just anger, that's all. It adds to the atmosphere. Notice that we didn't change the last sentence, because it already has "molten" in it, which is a Greek word for "hot-tempered" (think of a volcano). Also, we've made another pronoun switchup. Think of how fun it'll be when the reader discovers that "she" and "it" are one and the same!

Q. I'm not sensing conflict, here. I'm just confused now.

A. Sure, sure. That confusion is called mystery. Read enough books and you'll get used to it. But if there's not enough conflict, you can always throw in a corpse:

"You idiot!" she screamed as she tossed the corpse aside.

Q. She threw a dead body.

A. Isn't that clever? We all threw a corpse! Here's some more conflict, which arises from uncertainty:

"You idiot!" she screamed as she tossed the corpse aside, wondering what she was going to have for breakfast now.

Q. That's sick.

A. Conflict, young grasshopper! Conflict! Now we have one remaining problem. The reader might not trust us to string two words together--

Q. Not anymore.

A. --so we have to prove to him that we're bona fide wordsmiths. Let's take a look at the final version, in which we've chosen more colorful synonyms to replace our blandest words:

"You cretin!" she witticismed as she catapulted the carcass aside, marveling about what she was going to gormandize for her daybreak repast now.

It rubbernecked out at the corduroy below, wondering if it need obstruct the hombre on the lower underside. He was an apoplectic and shirty intelligent appliance, see, and he was absconding out all over his undersurface. "It" was nomenclatured Elaine, a cantankerous mademoiselle, really, and she populated a two-bedroom, 600-square-foot penthouse at the summit of a 49-storey bungalow that was baptized after Abraham Lincoln, who occasionally indulged in fisticuffs. A cloudy sunset cast its molten gaze across her silhouette like an orange cookie cutter pressed into warm asphalt.

Q. That's amazing.

A. Isn't it? I suggest you find a thesaurus and learn how to use it.

Q. Sure.

A. I have some homework for you. Add another paragraph, and rework it so the point-of-view character changes twice. It's a fun game for readers that I like to call "Who's really the POV?" Most people love it.

Q. I'm not sure I--

A. That's because you're an illiterate Philistine. You can change that only through much practice, young grasshopper.

And that concludes Ask Mr. Writing Person. Join us next, um, whenever, when Mr. Writing Person tackles plot building through adding arbitrary complexity.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha ha!!!! Now that's funny!!!
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KatFeete
Member # 2161

- posted      Profile for KatFeete   Email KatFeete         Edit/Delete Post 
I am most amused. Carry on.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vatyma
Member # 2749

- posted      Profile for Vatyma   Email Vatyma         Edit/Delete Post 
hilarious:)
Did you know that Penguin published collections of the most awful intros?

Here are some samples:

"With a curvaceous figure that Venus would have envied, a tanned unblemished oval face framed with lustrous thick brown hair, deep azure-blue eyes fringed with long black lashes, perfect teeth that vied for competition, and a small straight nose, Marilee had a beauty that defied description."

"Like an overripe beefsteak tomato rimmed with cottage cheese, the corpulent remains of Santa Claus lay dead on the hotel floor."

"Mike Hardware was the kind of private eye who didn't know the meaning of the word 'fear', a man who could laugh in the face of danger and spit in the eye of death - in short, a moron with suicidal tendencies."

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grijalva
Member # 3295

- posted      Profile for Grijalva   Email Grijalva         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you write that?

Thats really good, entertaining, and you actually learn something from it.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the splendid advice, Mister Writing Person. From now on I shall use it whenever I need to discombobulate the experientializers of my fabulations.

My personal problem is with dialogue and dialogue attributions. Do you have any advice on that topic?

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that was really funny, and even a little informative. And as far as those Penguin quotes go, I'd have kept reading for the last two -- just to see if the writer could sustain that voice.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheap jab. And without the guts to post in in the thread that it targets too. For shame.

[This message has been edited by Exploding Monkey (edited May 10, 2006).]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny stuff!
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
If it was a jab, it was of such quality as to warrant its own thread.

Really, genius.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Grijalva: I did write that, and I'm actually more than a little disturbed at how easy it was. *shudder*

I'm nearly regretting posting it now, as it may be publishable, but I think I have plenty more where that came from.

Exploding Monkey: Actually, this is an elaborate jab. Also, like you suspect, it's aimed solely at you. Note the lack of smileys.

Vatyma: Cool! I was aware of the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest, which does the same, but the entries there are so overwrought that it becomes a chore to read through them. They lose their humor very quickly. I'll have to check out those Penguin ones.

Adam Cadre runs the Lyttle Lytton Contest, which aims to fix that by enforcing a maximum word count of 25. Classic winner:

quote:
The pain wouldn't stop, and Vern still had three cats left.

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited May 10, 2006).]

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimslade
Member # 3173

- posted      Profile for Grimslade           Edit/Delete Post 

There is the smiley for you Trouser.
I am only dissapointed that the robot in the example is not a robot monkey.
Every story is better with robot monkeys. And ninjas. And Pirates. So Ninja pirate robot monkeys riding dinosaurs would be the pinnacle.

Grim

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the use of evil robot monkeys would constitute plagarism? Or is that simply evil vampire robot monkeys? I'm so confused.

Trousercuit, I knew I liked you. Now I know why! That was simply wonderful! My only nit: Elaine didn't start the scene out by waking up...

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

...in a white room! Crap, I knew I forgot something!
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 

www.evilrbtmonkey.blogspot.com

no such thing as vampire robot monkeys. that is just crazy talk.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

quote:
no such thing as vampire robot monkeys. that is just crazy talk

Ah HA! Now, wouldn't Mr. Writing Person say that adds to the mystery??

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

Mr. Writing Person would say that the only path to originality is permutation. (He can prove it mathematically using combinatorics.) Therefore, the more variables in your permutation, the better. In fact, he might suggest suburban, kilt-clad vampire robot monkey housewives who polygynously marry turbaned vampire robot monkey men with differing blood types as a setting for a story. Besides oozing with conflict, it's virtually guaranteed to have never been done before.

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited May 10, 2006).]

Elan
Member # 2442

quote:
Besides oozing with conflict, it's virtually guaranteed to have never been done before.

I would take that wager as a safe bet...

trousercuit
Member # 3235

I've decided what to do with this new hobby: make it a blog.

(I'm not so much posting to advertise my new blog as to make sure nobody accuses anonymous me of plagarizing Hatrack me.)

http://mr-writing-person.blogspot.com/

TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo! Mr. Writing Person. A little humor never hurt anyone, and this has it in spades. Now, spaded humor... That could be an entirely different thing.

I'd also go as far as saying this wasn't a cheap jab. It looks as though you pulled at least three out of four stops for this one, perhaps all of them! NICE!!!

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Posted by trousercuit:
(I'm not so much posting to advertise my new blog as to make sure nobody accuses anonymous me of plagarizing Hatrack me.)

But now you're not anonymous.

*Sounds of a mob gathering on the horizon*

I'd watch thy back.

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.