Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I finally started my novel!

Author Topic: I finally started my novel!
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Huzzah! This is a big deal. I wrote the novel in nanowrimo 2004, but kept fixing the beginning. Last week I figured out where I wanted the narrative to begin from, but yesterday I wrote the actual beginning. I'm not sure I'll post it to F&F till I have a couple of chapters.

[This message has been edited by pooka (edited June 30, 2006).]

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, nice to know you can finally write your story you want. I keep deleting my work and restarting as I've felt something needed to be done and changed.

Good luck with it.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Great to hear. Now, all you have to do is finish it.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

Yeah... that and balance out the amount of flesh and skeleton that is going on in the middle. Those flesh only parts in particular are troubling.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
That last comment struck a nerve: what counts as flesh and not bone. Surely everything in a novel is contributing something, be it tone or a feeling.

I suppose it's more a question of cutting things that don't contribute enough, or that contribute the wrong thing...

Did I just answer my own question?

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
A start is a good beginning. Keep going, pooka/franc li.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited May 23, 2006).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're happy when you start it, think how happy you will be when you finish it.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

Wee early this morning I was going through a manic box opening spree, and I ran across the critiqued writing sample from the seminar I took in the fall. I had been avoiding reading it... well, only actively for 5 months. Then it was in a box and I couldn't have gotten to it even though I didn't want to. Well, I read it and there wasn't anything terribly shocking- since during the move I had run across her summary note and it was the same information.

Phew.

I really have been become gradually willing to endure feedback in the last few months.

Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a little confused by the name change; thanks for clarifying. Congratulations on beginning anew on the novel, and probably more importantly, on your newfound ability to endure feedback. (Of course, I must wonder how you have survived a lifetime in the family of Survivor without becoming completely adjusted to "feedback.") Good luck with finishing the novel.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's quite easy. I don't give feedback except by request. You've got to rub the lamp, eh?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Feedback from Survivor is like placing a microphone near a speaker.

Just kidding, he has great technical common sense.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

I was hoping the writing workshop would help me get it ready for Survivor to look at. Survivor is a creampuff relative to some people in our family Myself included at times.

But yeah, since I started this thread I actually found and discarded yet another beginning and now I have another, and I really think this is it. I have been narrowing in on the true beginning of the story, I hope.

All along I've known that if I would just commit to my starting point, I could go ahead and write things out from that point and it would all be good. Though I'm a little wondering if things are going to end where I currently think they are. I guess I'll find out. I had a lot of complaints about the ending of my first draft.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.