Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Every subsequent page must carry the title...

Author Topic: Every subsequent page must carry the title...
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
What about for long titles? I've noticed one site recommended using keywords of the title and not the whole title, but with the WOTF stating that, should the entire title be used?

The following was a working title, which I've changed for the 100th time, but let's take something like: "Green Is The Color Of Time", would subsequent headers say, "Green/Time"? Or the whole title?

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not ask WOTF? The administrator is nice, and it's not like you'd be bothering her.

Although, FYI, I tend to put the complete title. Unless, of course, we are talking about something that no longer fits in the header, such as "The magnificent adventures of a little man from Germany, his best friend, his dog and his pet green parrot"...

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
... and her lover.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
... and the gender-confused fascist evil robot monkey that trailed them...

(I mean, let's not stop now. It was just getting good.)

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited June 06, 2006).]

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
...and his radioactive cat
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it's a legacy of printed manuscripts. You were supposed to put your name and address on the first page, upper left corner...then the title, more-or-less centered in the middle of the page...then on subsequent pages you were supposed to type your last name / the title or a keyword from a long title / the page number. (I was ten years or more catching on to doing this.)

Manuscripts get lost and mislaid and the pages get separated. Suppose you're an editor who has to sort through a pile of papers that fell over. It'd be easier if they were all identified by name, title, and number.

In the olden days, it would've been difficult to type out a separate manuscript without your name in the headers---I don't think the Writers of the Future rules would've been workable if a writer intended to submit elsewhere. In these days of word processors, new manuscripts, to their specifications, is just a few clicks away.

I always assumed the Writers of the Future want to pass the stories on to their judges in complete anonymity, so they don't see who it is they're judging, just the story itself. (I remember that when I got my printed manuscripts back from them, the pages with my name and address were always missing. I assumed they were compiling a mailing list.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
...named Sven...
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
WOTF puts somewhere (I don't remember where exactly) that the reason they ask for a cover page with every possible information about you is so they can remove it from the manuscript, and forward the anonymous ms to the Coordinating Judge.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Ordinarily, I'd say that "Color of Time" would be the best choice for key words for a story with "Green Is the Color of Time" as the title (since "Green" is too ambiguous).

A little common sense would indicate that for a very long title, a key phrase would work. (In fact, a key phrase might be better as the title itself.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.