Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » "I, Libertine"

Author Topic: "I, Libertine"
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
A friend sent me this link. I find the story strangely disturbing and intriguing at the same time. I'm not even sure if this is a true story or not. But it does seem to explain the oddities in the publishing industry, to some degree.

Comments?

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
This really did happen, and according to Wikepedia, it was the first book of a projected trilogy. How you could top the first one, I don't know.

It really does go to show the inconsistencies with critic reviews, which I rarely believe anyway. If bestsellers are really judged on the demand of books rather than actual sales, it just goes to show that half the popularity is based on advertisement rather than merit. In which case, I'd better get a fan base going months before I publish my first novel.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Wikipedia says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Libertine

Of course, how can we trust Wikipedia, anyway?

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
that is cool
who here is a night person?

Wikipedia is for 'List' people.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited June 08, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I sleep at night but get very little of it. Does that count?
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
Is Answers.com any better than Wikipedia? http://www.answers.com/topic/i-libertine
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
It's exactly the same as wikipedia, at least for this article. The content is syndicated.
Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have anything against Wikipedia. It's just that, if you can put a nonexistent book on the New York Times Bestseller list, what else could you pull?
Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind, Wikipedia was not the culprit that put "I, Libertine" on the NYT Best Selling list. They merely have recorded that it happened.

As Shep said, the PEOPLE -- the NIGHT people -- were the moving force behind this fiction fiasco. This reminds me a great deal of the story about the Emperor's New Clothes.

I confess, I am a DAY person. Now. Years ago I was more of a night person. But I've forced myself into an early morning routine and now I enjoy it.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have something against Wikipedia. I should probably shorten that in to a username for myself to shorten online conversations.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a true story. Jean Shepard came up with the idea on his late-night radio show, people did ask for it, Theodore Sturgeon ghost-wrote it after that, Ballantine Books published it...and that was more-or-less the end of it.

I've never seen a copy---I doubt it was a bestseller, even if Shepard's audience asked for it---but I don't have access to the era's bestseller lists. There's an account of the writing of it in one of the Theodore Sturgeon "Collected Short Stories" volumes.

The late (I'm pretty sure) Jean Shepard is probably better known these days at the writer of the story on which the movie "A Chirstmas Story" was based...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neoindra
Member # 3422

- posted      Profile for Neoindra   Email Neoindra         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you can wake up early and still be a night person. From what I gathered from the article it was more a mentality thing. Do you read the reviews before you go to the theater and only see the ones that the reviewers liked or do you go see what interests you? When you buy a book do you check out the NYT bestseller list or actually thumb through books at the bookstore until you find one that looks interesting? I have to wake up early, but I have never looked at the NYT bestsellers list and I think Ebert is on drugs most of the time so I’m guessing I’m a night kind of person, but that’s just my take on the article.

[This message has been edited by Neoindra (edited June 10, 2006).]

Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah, that reminds me. I'm a night person---but not by choice. I have to get up at nine to be at work by eleven to work to seven-thirty the next morning. And I find it nearly impossible to get to bed (or to sleep, even if I've gotten to bed) at any time before three, and often before sundown at about eight. I'm always tired and I think it's killing me.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.