Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The start of a story and introducing a character

Author Topic: The start of a story and introducing a character
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I've been away for a while, but I have a question.

A while ago I read something that said a writer has free reign for the first few paragraphs. He or she can start off very generally, with details about the world, what's wrong with it, or any other monumental thing pertaining to the story. Then he or she can introduce a character and his involvement in what's wrong with the world and his goal to set things right.

I'm just curious if anyone has a few examples of this. Trying to do it in my writing is difficult, as the concept seems very foreign to me. I normally start stories by introducing the main character in the first sentence.

Thanks.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a perfectly good approach; I'd stick with it until I had a good reason to do otherwise.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly, Uncle Orson says you get the first paragraph free: unconstrained by standard POV considerations, dumping restrictions, etc.

Not that I ever follow that advice. Of course, I'm unpublished outside academia.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC's theory works, but isn't the only idea that works. Find which one works best for you.

In about 80% of the stories that start with a first "free" paragraph, cutting that first paragraph would not detract anything from the story. In most cases it tightens it up, actually improving it.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 

For examples, compare

Call me Ishmael.

to

It was the best of times; it was the worst of times; etc etc.

you can google around and find the full text (or look on amazon) but maybe that's enough.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Harlan Coben often opens with a philosopical commentary that leads into the problem the MC is going to face.

I've seen novels open with an inciting incident that does not involve the MC. Then the MC gets involved with the ramifications of the incident in chapter two.

An entertainingly written (not boring!) description of the situation/history/backstory can work, too. You have to make sure it IS entertaining.

Whatever you use to open with has to be evocative in some way to the reader.

How about a rhetorical question?

How many times can you lie to a person and still be believed?

I have seen something as simple as a riff on how guns are more trustworthy than friends open a novel and the subtext of the riff sets up the MC's backstory beautifully while at the same time segueing beautifully into the action of the story. Let's see that was CHAIN OF COMMAND by Caspar Weinberger and Peter Schweizer. The novel was so-so, but that opening was great.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.