Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Don't publish online? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Don't publish online?
Nietge
Member # 3474

- posted      Profile for Nietge   Email Nietge         Edit/Delete Post 
I came across this on Robert Sawyer's website, under a heading entitled 'Letter to Beginning Writers' (Sawyer is a Canadian SF author, Hugo/Nebula winner in his own right):

quote:
2) "Online publishing" is an oxymoron; don't do it. If you can't make it in print, you're not yet good enough. Become a better writer, and continue to try to crack the print markets.

Hmm...any thoughts? I wonder what Sawyer would make of Strange Horizons, or IGMS for that matter...

Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you ask him?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
If an online market will pay me 5 cents a word, they can have my work any day of the week
Posts: 86 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The important distinction is between paid writing and vanity presses. There are vanity presses on paper. But a lot of online publishing at this time is vanity "press".
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's the theory that someday they'll be no more print markets and everything will be electronic publishing and online. I wouldn't say no to that. But my goal has always been the traditional form of being printed, either book or story-or-article-in-magazine---and getting paid for it. (Of course I've let a bunch of stuff be posted online for free...)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Sawyer talking about putting your own stuff on your own website?

That's what we try to discourage people from doing.

One of the points of the 13-line limit is to protect people from the risk of publishing online at Hatrack. Besides, Hatrack is not a publisher, so we don't want more than 13 lines.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
IF they pay you, it's legit. I've had several stories published in on-line mags. Just don't put a story on your own website.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured if I ever got something going writingwise, I might put up some of my completely worthless writing up on my website. (I do not now have a website.) Something like the First Story I Ever Wrote, which, the last time I looked at it, was pretty bad. The kind of thing that'll amuse anybody who turns up for a look-see.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
you guys know what I am going to say.
Something I wrote on another thread paraphrased:
quote:

Few webzines are trying to make enough money to make their efforts financially worthwhile, so they do it for other more noble reasons. In my opinion, if people are doing it for fun or love, or for its own sake, then they lack an important imperative, the need to put beans on the table. That imperative is what made Poe and Dickens, Bierce and Twain as sharp as they were. If you want to be that kind of sharp, forget ezines, you will have to compete somewhere tougher.

Like print.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 

OK by me if y'all don't want to send your stuff to Strange Horizions, IGMS, Chizine, Abyss and Apex, etc. There are a couple of hundred markets; plenty to choose from, even if you limit yourself to print.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Don't speak for Poe, Dickens, and Twain. They did not have online markets and did not leave any opinion behind when they left us.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

the point is...
competition is tougher in paying markets

ps: a spacemen astutely mentioned Poe, Dickens, Bierce and Twain all died without leaving an opinion about online publishing. Perhaps we could look at their lives and find examples of non-paying markets they contributed stories to.

Perhaps some quotes instead:

The salary, moreover, did not pay me for the labor which I was forced to bestow. _-- E A Poe on ceasing to write for the Graham's Magazine

Income is the natural and rational gauge and measure of respectability. -- Ambrose Bierce

Write without pay until somebody offers pay. If nobody offers within three years, the candidate may look upon this circumstance with the most implicit confidence as the sign that sawing wood is what he was intended for. -- Mark Twain, or perhaps his comment: Virtue has never been as respectable as money.

Robert L. Patten tells us in his seminal 1978 Charles Dickens and His Publishers: Of course Dickens wrote for money. He had to. Gissing's New Grub Street provides a grim reminder of the fate reserved for writers who, like Dickens, had no prospect of inheriting or marrying wealth. Dickens's writing was his means of livelihood.

beans on tables

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited June 12, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Thanks for taking my comment the right way and posting something substantial in response.
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
hoptoad,

I think what people are objecting to is your non sequitur logic. You first mention online magazines without solvency. You then draw the conclusion that such a need is what made Poe and Dickens write, or for them to be "as sharp as they were." But your assertion really has nothing to do with writers, but publishers. Because many of these online markets DO pay writers, even while not maintaining solvency. At least, they pay the same if not better rates than their print brothers and sisters. Spaceman's claim is that, were Twain still alive, he probably wouldn't care where his check came from -- as long as it came, in the end.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps what hoptoad was trying to get at was:

Online publisher = few beans

Print publisher = lottsa beans

The point, in my opinion, has nothing to do with online/hard copy and everything to do with how many beans DO you get?

At this point in time, because of the costs associated with print publishing, I believe there is a perception that print publishers have higher standards because they MUST recoup their expenses, so the darned story had better stimulate sales.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, I don't think the "beans" of the SF market, or at least the SF magazine part of it, are all that much. Getting a short story published, online or in print media, would be a labor of love either way.

(What *is* the going rate for an SF novel these days? Phew, it's been so long since I marketed anything in this direction I've lost touch with the market.)

hoptoad
Member # 2145

Robert, Thanks for mentioning that.
I think a lot of people do get caught up in submitting online because it is easier.
Not saying that is you, but they use online submissions to online zines as another barrier before they start submitting to print publishers.

Rahl: congratulations on your recent sale.
I was not spouting non-sequiturs.

competition = survival of fittest
online mags = little competition

there is a corellation.

If you don't have to write for beans, you are missing an important driving force.

There are other driving forces, sure, but none that will sharpen you up quicker than getting hungry, a truism for which -- I believe -- Twain, Poe, Bierce and Dickens can vouch.

You know Dickens once tried to start a society for Professional writers in order to counterract the 'amateurish' work produced by those writing under the 'protection' of patrons. The society was especially disposed to introduce rates at which professional writers should be paid and standards they should reach. The relevance is that he believed that patronage offered a 'soft' environment for writers and the result was 'amateurish' work. Competition in the commercial world, Dickens was convinced, made a writer more professional.

PS: Elan statements seem to be on my wavelength.

Beth
Member # 2192

Well, if you believe that all online markets are a nonpaying noncompetitive waste of time, I doubt any actual facts will convince you otherwise. Carry on.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

quote:

I doubt any actual facts will convince you otherwise.

You are right. Facts alone will not convince me. However, those facts logically interpreted may.

PS: I am more inclined to say low-paying and low-competition

Beth
Member # 2192

Have you actually looked at any of the markets listed above to see what their pay rates are?

I'd really be interested in what data you have that suggests that any of them are low-paying and low-competition.

[This message has been edited by Beth (edited June 12, 2006).]

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Facts alone will not convince me. However, those facts logically interpreted may.

For what it's worth, I share with you one of my new favorite quotes. I forget who said it, but it was someone recently on CNN:

"All of us are entitled to our own opinions. But none of us are entitled to our own facts."

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Yes. All of them.

Maximum returns below:

IGMS: $500 for 8333 words
Strange Horizons: $450 for 9000 words
Chizine: $280 for 4000 words
Apex and Abyss: $75 for 1500 words (but you can submit 10,000 words if you want but the money tops-out at $75)

I can bet you any money that the more they pay the better the standard of submissions they will receive.

BTW:

If IGMS has 7 x $500 articles they will need 1400 subscribers to break even, that is without paying staff.

If Strangehorizons has 5 x $450 articles they are $2250 behind without paying staff, with the disclaimer: Your donations help keep Strange Horizons running, but did you know your shopping does as well? Whenever you purchase a book, movie, or CD at Amazon or Fictionwise using one of our links, they return a percentage to us to support the site. What 'pay per click rate' do they need to recoup $2250?

If Chizine has 5 x $280 articles they are $1400 behind without paying staff and must rely on click through revenue and/or merchandising to fund the whole exercise. Do you know how they fund it? I could not see it? If they fund it through merchandising who are they selling to? The writers?

The ones that survive financially are the ones that can compete, if they constantly lose money and continue to operate they are patrons, usually at the expense of unpaid or underpaid staff.

Someone's getting stiffed.

Warbric
Member # 2178

- posted      Profile for Warbric   Email Warbric         Edit/Delete Post 
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts" -- Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

I like that quote, too. It's in the header for the Annenburg Political Fact Check site.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

A fact on its own means nothing.
Meaning lies in the relationship of facts.
In order to find meaning, that relationship is interpreted through the mind of the observer. The human mind is flawed.

Beth
Member # 2192

None of your projected financial figures about staff salaries and circulation figures argues that, say, Strange Horizons is low-paying or low-competition.

But that's fine. See the world however you like.

trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
IGMS: $0.06/word
Strange Horizons: $0.05/word
Chizine: $0.07/word
Apex and Abyss: 0.05/word

Analog: $0.06-$0.08/word
Asimov's: couldn't find out with a cursory look
F&SF: $0.06-0.09/word
Realms of Fantasy: $0.05/word

It seems inconclusive, but that just may be my own selection bias. Now we just need rejection rates.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

You need to include staff salaries in order to convince hoptoad, I think.
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so frustrating!

I am not championing online markets, but what you're saying makes no sense at all. You're saying that the pay is what drives quality up. You then showed us how online magazine have similar payscales to print magazines (except for larger stories which are always hard sells anyway). Then you started talking about solvency which, I'm sure anyone can see, has nothing to do with available slots to be published or even competition for those slots. That's not the writer's concern; it's the publisher's.

I mean seriously.

I have a headache.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Just ignore me if you find this frustrating
I'm happy to drop it.
Rather have some friends.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited June 13, 2006).]

hoptoad
Member # 2145

BTW: Australia beat Japan in World Cup Final last night. Absolute screamer.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited June 13, 2006).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

All that's what I wanted to know about it. The art of it and the fun of doing it might be important...but what it'll pay is also important.

Now, five thousand words at six cents per word is [brings up calculator on screen, puts numbers in] three hundred dollars. It seems a lot. But I might put in weeks / months of mental work and hours of the physical act of typing on those five thousand words...but I can gross more than five times that every pay period at my real-time job, and in relation to *that*, the three hundred dollars is tiny. (I also assume acceptance of what I write---which I'm stil waiting for.)

So writing for me is still, primarily, "labor of love," and would remain so, even if, say, I sold every short story I write at the rate I write 'em. I'd have to make a living somewhere else. (And that doesn't even address issues like taxes, health insurance, and retirement plans.)

Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Robert Nowall brings up a very good point.

If you really want to make money writing, don't write fiction.

Dickens didn't start out as a novelist. He started out as a journalist and only drifted away from journalism when his fiction took off.

In other words, he had a day job.

Same with Mark Twain. The equivalent today wouldn't just include journalism, it would include technical writing, copy writing, and writing romance novels.

Actually, I say that tongue-in-cheek, but now that I think about it I seem to remember someone saying that they wrote romance to pay the bills and wrote in other genres for fun. And let's face it, romance does have the greatest demand.

[edited for spelling]

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited June 13, 2006).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've recently starting submitting stories, and have submitted to both electronic and print publications; I don't see any reason to distinguish between them, because both are markets. I have so far only submitted electronicially, but that's purely a logistical issue (I don't happen to live in the same country as most of my best potential markets).

How do I choose my markets? Well, I've been using Duotrope as the initial search mechanism, and then checking out its suggestions to find the best apparent "fit". And what criteria do I use for my Duotrope searching?

Money.

Simple as that. I look for "semi-pro and up" paying markets. I'm not naive enough to expect to make a living from writing, but I am ambitious enough to want to be paid for what I do. I expect paying markets to be (in general) harder to get into, pickier about what they choose, but I don't know what sort of statistics would or would not convince hoptoad that "paying vs non-paying" is a much more meaningful split than "on-line vs print".

Ultimately, I want to be a professional writer. And if a market's going to pay me for my work, I don't much care whether the product is on paper or on a computer screen.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

quote:
But I might put in weeks / months of mental work and hours of the physical act of typing on those five thousand words

To me, if you are putting that much work into a short story, you are probably violating Heinlein's third rule. You are either tinkering too much, or don't have the story thought out well enough to write it. I rarely spend more than two weeks on a 5000-word short story, and that's with less than stellar butt-in-chair time. If you are writing 1000 words per day, then this is a 5-day project fo rfirst draft, and a couple more days to refine it, and another hour or two for market research. Much more than that and you are wasting time that should be used to write a different story.

Grimslade
Member # 3173

- posted      Profile for Grimslade           Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is a question of sustainability. I think some of the Online pubs are getting some top notch submissions, but unless they are making some income the market can not last.
Take SciFi's Scifiction site. Top notch editor, Ellen Datlow. One of the best pay rates in the business, $.020, a word. Where is it now? Closed. It was an example of modern patronage: advertising. The patron (SciFi) changed its mind on what it wanted to do. End of the pub.
Print publishers are not exempt from this either. There have been enough failed short fiction rags in the past 50 years. If the publisher is doing his gig out of love instead of providing material to draw in a paying audience, you may get a situation where 1 person loves your stuff, the editor. The paying audience at large may not care for it and now you are published in someone elses 'vanity press'.

Grim

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
"someone elses 'vanity press'." is still not self-pubished.

In either print or online submissions, choose your markets carefully. Generally, the higher paying markets are better but harder to get into. Generally print pays more than Electronic.

Low paying and free markets are not a bad idea. They are a publishing credit. Ideally, you want to make sure that any market you submit to does have standards that would reject anything of even slightly lower quality than your submission.

Never publish anything to your own website unless you have no hopes of ever publishing it. I used to put my unpublishable stories up on my website but took everything off when I realized that I didn't want editors finding evidence of the tripe I could write. I want them to think that everything I write is of submission quality so they open my next submission with at least some hope of finding quality work.

The bottom line is to research your markets before you submit to them. Shoot for the markets that you think are just outside your skills. Don't settle, just improve your storytelling until you reach the goals. Be realistic and don't set your original goals too high, though. If you're looking for the $2 a word market to start, its going to be a long time coming.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nietge
Member # 3474

Truly, I think really the *only* reason I'd want a story published in a mag, whether it be dead-tree or pretty pixels, is for the publishing credit. That's just what I think.
Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, I want my stories printed, so that I can imagine that other people are sharing the visions I create in my stories - that I have created a bond with them through my words.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

How about another way of marketing? Send a short story to a magazine / website / whatever that you actually *read*...
Beth
Member # 2192

Reading markets is one key step in researching them.
hoptoad
Member # 2145

I am glad this discussion has expanded.
The advice that we should submit to the markets that we feel are a stretch for us makes a lot of sense. Not just about publishing either.

trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Nietge:

quote:
Truly, I think really the *only* reason I'd want a story published in a mag, whether it be dead-tree or pretty pixels, is for the publishing credit.

I totally agree. Nobody could possibly do it for the money (not at first), because, well, they'd end up living in an old He-Man lunch box in the middle of an airport runway, that's why.

The big question is, do most people who will be considering your publishing credits in the future regard online publishing as less prestigious than print publishing?

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nietge
Member # 3474

Will they accept pixel-publishing as legit as dead-tree...well, there's the rub, isn't it? My guess is, such relative legitimacy of pixel-published mags will at least undergo a linear increase as peeps get acclimated to the general concept of e-pubs and e-mags...but another danger to me is submitting a piece to an e-mag that up and folds its tent, plummetting into a hole in the spacetime continuum without warning, like some others have. Analog's existence doesn't come gratis, but its life expectancy is arguably just a *tad* greater than Jimbob's Fly-By-Night Speculative Fiction E-Rag. (www.specficRus.org)...whoop! It just folded...see what I mean?

Ah...anyone wanna buy the (www.specficRus.org) domain for a quarter? In Monopoly money? Or food stamps? Anyone? Hmm, figured not (sigh)...

Beth
Member # 2192

trouser, I guarantee that publication in any of the markets listed above would be viewed very favorably by the people who will be reading your work in the future.

trousercuit
Member # 3235

You mean IGMS, Strange Horizons, Chizine, and Apex and Abyss?
Beth
Member # 2192

Yup.

Check out their awards pages someday.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

IGMS already has awards? I hadn't noticed any.
Beth
Member # 2192

Sorry; I phrased that imprecisely. IGMS only has Card's name and pro rates going for it so far.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Trousercuit wrote:
quote:
Nobody could possibly do it for the money (not at first), because, well, they'd end up living in an old He-Man lunch box in the middle of an airport runway, that's why.

I don't write just for the money (I've been writing for more than 20 years, and my first submission of any kind was in October last year; my next - six more subs - were in May this year). But I see absolutely no reason why I should not submit my work to markets that pay in preference to markets that don't. If my work isn't good enough, it'll be rejected. If it is, it'll be accepted. And I'll get paid.

I'll feel good about being published. But I'll also feel good about being paid. Is this such a terrible sin?

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Money certainly is a strong secondary motive...it influences where and when I submit my stories, certainly. But there's the long-held theory that the better-paying markets attract the better writers and get the better stories, and that the lesser-paying or no-pay markets get the leftovers and rejects...well, I don't know.

From my historical readings in the science fiction field, I gather that back in the 1940s, John W. Campbell / "Astounding" was the most important market in the field. But I also gather that, at least from time to time, or from writer to writer, other markets like "Amazing" paid as well if not better. (One cent to one-and-a-half cent a word.) And some writers avoided Campbell / "Astounding" because they found Campbell very hard to please for the financial return.

In the next decade, the 1950s, Horace Gold / "Galaxy," to an extent, supplanted Campbell / "Astounding" as the prime market. But Campbell / "Astounding" continued to pay as well, apparently. (Three to four cents, by now.) There was also competition from Tony Boucher / "Fantasy & Science Fiction" and also a host of others---and some of them paid just as much.

Furthermore, Gold / "Galaxy" was evidently harder to satisfy than Campbell / "Astounding." There are endless accounts of writers whose stories were shredded, emasculated, sloppily edited...even a few classic stories that were outright rejected. I gather that, by the end of Gold's tenure, a lot of writers simply wouldn't submit to "Galaxy," no matter what they might get paid.

So, if the history of science fiction is any judge, what a market pays can't be the be-all and end-all of what submissions a market will get...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.