Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A confession

Author Topic: A confession
Nietge
Member # 3474

- posted      Profile for Nietge   Email Nietge         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm seriously thinking about stopping my short story writing for now until I read a *lot* more of them to get the idea of them down...typically I don't read short stories at all, and lately I've been reading them only to pick them apart, especially the beginnings and endings. So far, I've had a lot of ideas for stories, but I think I have problems packing in all I need to pack in within 5000 words or so, and I think my general idea-making process may be flawed...I seem to think that I need to put the protagonist in some sort of mortal peril for me to achieve something close to tension I want. Also, lately, most of my story ideas revolve around the concept of uncommon, spooky communication with animals, or even whole planets, and then the person communicated with threatens to be won over and wants to meld with or otherwise join the force/entity who made contact with them...or something along those lines. I need a far more subtle plot-making approach, which is why I think I need to read a *lot* more stories. It's rather difficult for me to come up with an ordinary tension situation that doesn't wind up sounding like a Twilight Zone episode for some reason, regardless of whatever happy ending I put on them.
Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually writing is a better way to figure out how to write than not writing is.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimslade
Member # 3173

- posted      Profile for Grimslade           Edit/Delete Post 
Read short stories. Read novellas. Read flash. Read poetry. Examples of short fiction will inspire you to write a little more focused and concise. You can start to see patterns and tropes that you like and don't like.
But, never stop writing. Free yourself to make mistakes and epiphanies. Your writing will improve the more you flex that muscle or it can atrophy from lack of use.

Grim

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neoindra
Member # 3422

- posted      Profile for Neoindra   Email Neoindra         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Beth, keep writing and having people critique. Of course you could also read the short stories while you are at it, but if you stop writing and just read you may figure out what they are doing right, but that won’t necessarily tell you where you are going wrong.

One idea to look into is keeping a journal…that might help you find everyday tension.

[This message has been edited by Neoindra (edited June 13, 2006).]

Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Its better to think about it as you do it. Thinking without doing is not really either.

Even nuclear reactor operators learn by doing. Okay so that's a scary thought, but it's true.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nietge
Member # 3474

LOL, NeoIndra, if I start keeping a journal, I would just be spouting maximalist silly nonsense like I've done with a few of my infamous Hatrack posts that everyone in here avoids like plutonium. Kept long after its Best If Used By date.

Not sure I'll really stop writing short stories...but another factor is it'll cut into my novel writing time. Then again, I write whatever as Mizz Muse biddeth. Since she's, yanno, the *boss* and everything (yup, I'm a matriarchy). Gotta strike while the 5-iron is at least semi-lukewarm.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, if you *can* stop writing, it's probably better. Less frustrating.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Write what suits you, whatever length it may be.

I have trouble sustaining things after a certain point---my last serious attempt at a novel, back in January, and my third pass at that particular idea, got up to about nine thousand words before grinding to a halt in the first scene of Chapter Two. (Lately it's all ground to a halt, but I'm hopeful at getting back to some of it...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Well the silly nonsense will come out anyway and a journal is a good place for it. (I have a file called HUH which is huge and filled with such junk.) And remember The Twighlight Zone was a good show.

Write the story exactally as long (or short) as it should be, but you can't know that before you start. So just keep writing, (or stop as Wbriggs suggests but I don't belive that you can.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have problems packing in all I need to pack in within 5000 words

That's your problem. Let the story tell you how long it wants to be.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nietge
Member # 3474

I would love to let the story expand to the length it feels like it needs to...but then, these mags i've been looking at submitting to have 5k word limits, is the thing...
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's always editing. If, say, something you intended to write at five thousand words came in at ten or fifteen thousand, get out your pencil and start crossing things out on the manuscript. (Or the computer equivalent thereof.)

Look long and hard at the page (or screen), and say to yourself, "Do I really need that page? That paragraph? That sentence? That word? That bit of description? That adverb? That character and his scenes and dialog?"

So cut, and cut, and cut, until you've got it somewhere around the word length you intended...then retype...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Or pick a different market. There are markets that take longer stories.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
And stop knocking the Twlight Zone, at least the black and white version, that was very good storytelling. Cheesy effect, true, but good acting, and a little bit of imagination let the viewer see through to the good writing.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
You can stop writing? That's an option?

I critiqued a great story a while back, good execution, great idea, wonderful characters. The problem was the author was trying to "keep" it a short story when it really shouldn't have been. Most of my comments were in the nature of "great idea but I really need to know . . ." Or, given the story why would X agree to what X does? Wouldn't X take a more cautious approach. The problem was that in 5000 words, X didn't have the page space to act consitently with his character.

Write the story and worry about editing it to a particular lenght later.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
You can always pull a Heinlein and remove all the definite and indefinite articles. Call it "voice."

Don't limit yourself to just articles, though.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nietge
Member # 3474

quote:
You can always pull a Heinlein and remove all the definite and indefinite articles. Call it "voice."

Hmm...where did Heinlein do? Intriguing notion; perhaps I should look up man's stories and books, and look for instances of. Dunno if I can do text with no def/indef arties. Have you tried? Speech might become a little awkward, no? Again, interesting challenge. Should try soon.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.