Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Online critique groups

Author Topic: Online critique groups
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if anyone knows if you post your entire manuscript in an online critique group (like yahoo groups etc.), is that considered to be "published"?
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
It is considered to be "published" if it is readily accessible to the public. If the group is password protected (even if many people can get a password) then the posting is considered to have been meant for a private audience and therefore not published.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any good on-line critique groups for a whole manuscript?
Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Whole short stories? Yes. Whole novels? None that I've found. They usually go chapter by chapter, take forever, and you get fizzled interest. It's very difficult to get novels critiqued. I've just started a private novel critique group (we're starting next week) and I'll let you know if that works out or not.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nietge
Member # 3474

- posted      Profile for Nietge   Email Nietge         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as online critique groups for novels are concerned...have you tried Critters? I haven't yet:

http://www.critique.org/

You may have already heard about them. They mostly do shorts, but they have ways of critiquing full novels through another system apart from their main system AFAIK.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
On Critters, it's calls an RFDR, request for dedicated readers. You can post a synopsis or your first chapters and if anyone is intriqued they might bite. Then its an offline thing, you negotiate with each person as to sending chunks or the whole thing and in what format. They get a credit for every 5000 words they read, all at once when they are done critting to your reasonable satification.

I've done a RFDR, read a draft novel, gave my thoughts chapter by chapter. And I've had 5 read the first half of my draft novel, enough for me to realize to go back and punt.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried the Online Writer's Workshop?
Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
What I suggest you do is find a novel writing class at the local community college or whatever, then try to grab a couple of classmates you repect and form your own novel workshopping group. You might be lucky enough to find an established one in your area, but odds are against it.

I think your chances of success are better than online by going this route.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are there any good on-line critique groups for a whole manuscript?

The group I'm affiliated (The Muse It Up Club) with will do novels, however, 2000 words at a time. With five people in a group and only one subbing per week, it takes a really long time to get through a book. I have found it to be quite helpful though.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a novel workshop going on at Notebored. We have 3 groups of up to 4, and everyone submits at the same time. 2k word limit a week, and 3k minimum a month. So far it is working out quite well. I do expect it will take a good part of the year to get through the first read and crit.
Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jammrock
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Jammrock   Email Jammrock         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always start up a group from the HR forums.
Posts: 136 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll definitley check out those sites.

On the other hand, I have only 11 weeks before fatherhood and I was kind of hoping to wrap up the drafts before I'm buried under diapers.

Quality or finishing the damn thing? Hmmm...

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Finish it. Definitely. Quality can come later. I'd worry about pounding out that first draft, and the daddy-deadline is a great way to make yourself get it done.

After the dust settles and you're sleeping more than 2 hours a night again, start getting critiques.

But don't underestimate yourself. Relying too heavily on critiques before you finish a draft is a recipe for never ever finishing anything. Because you'll be tweaking each section forever and never really moving on. Trust me on this one; been there done that.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I second autumn. Just get it out, then get your baby looked at. You can fix all the bumps later.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Finish the first draft. Learn your story as best you can through getting it on to paper (virtual or otherwise).

11 weeks? I think I have like 3. But it won't be my first time.

If this is your first novel, I'd even recommend waiting until after the second draft to start looking for critiques on the whole thing.

Most writing workshops are good for discussing ideas about your novel.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.