Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I'm not sure I can do it . . .

Author Topic: I'm not sure I can do it . . .
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an ending in mind for my NiP.

It's a terrible ending. I mean, it's a good ending in that it propels the story, and brings about definite resolution, but it would be a terrible thing to do to characters I love, and I'm not sure I can do it.

It would be a good ending, I think. If I do it right (ah! a caveat), it could potentially be a great ending, but I don't know if it's an ending I want. I don't know if it's in me to be that sadistic (though, even that I conceived of it says something).

What would you do?

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd use this dilemna as an excuse to watch Serenity again.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd take up crochet.

Seriously, though, who doesn't want to torture their characters? Isn't the crucible what it's all about?

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Look, writers have to be sadists. We do terrible things to our characters. It we didn't, our writing would be dull. Be cruel, baby. Do your worst! Do you want to be nice to people who don't exist, or do you want to sell a story?

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited June 15, 2006).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nietge
Member # 3474

- posted      Profile for Nietge   Email Nietge         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd much rather kill off beloved characters, knowing I had a good, solid ending, then having to deal with the arguably more prickly issue of having a *bad* ending.
Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Go for the Hollywood Happy ending if it helps you sleep at night. But I think it won't, you might have seen the right ending for the story and if you don't have the guts to use it then it will haunt you. Honor you character's lives by ending it the right way.

Most memorable characters: Aeris (Final Fantasy VII) Sturm (Dragonlance)

(and hey, who needs an excuse to watch Serenity?)

[This message has been edited by Pyre Dynasty (edited June 15, 2006).]

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, what can't be learned from Serenity?

Watching the DVD special features, Whedon explains why he . . . did what he did (won't ruin it for the one man here who hasn't seen it), I gaped at the screen and went "It bloody well worked, didn't it!"

It's not that I don't like torturing my characters. (I don't, btw, but--) I see it as a necessary evil for the sake of a good tale, but there is such thing as too much torture, and too much suspense. Either of which will make a reader close the book and put it away before they get an ulcer.

I know I've read the odd tale that I wanted to put away, but couldn't, because I just had to find out what comes next.

. . .

I think I've just answered my own question.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
You can always do your worst, and then have your main character wake up. Readers just love that kind of stuff.

quote:
Suddenly, Alex awoke in his bed, sweating and weeping like a milksop. As he stared at the tiny rivulets running down his greasy pillow, he realized it had all been a dream: Mandy's crochet needles were exactly where they should be, his favorite chicken still had two legs, and J.R. was still alive.

THE END.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Once I was reading a mystery, and, well, the climax was unexpected. "I admit it," the killer said. "Yes, I killed him, and I had a sound motive. Of course I did. The author _made_ me do it. And now I'm going to spend the rest of my life in prison, while *she* gets to go to book fairs and have people tell her how great she is. Where's the justice in that?"

OK, that didn't happen. But it should.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I definately do not need an excuse to watch Serenity.

I had a moment like that with my WIP. It was "well, I can get all Disney and Hollywood and have the good guys win or. . " The best suggestion I received in response to the quandry was "write it both ways and use the one that works." I did. Guess what? The good guys getting thier butt kicked was the right ending. Since I wrote the scene from two different POVs (well actually more than two but only two really fit) trying to figure out what worked, the first MC's POV is the end of Book 1, the second MC's (a bad guy) POV is the start of Book 2.

Go with what works.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Stay consistant with the tone of your novel. If death is something that can happen and should happen, there is no reason not to kill a character or seven.

If death would be something out of left field, don't do it.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
As a writer pro told me at the end of my first ever professional critique.

Trust your instincts.

Another pro suggests to go with your most passionate, the one you feel most strongly about.

Weak endings are just that--Weak.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't ask whether you can do it. The question is whether you can believe it. Be honest with yourself, you can lie about what happens, but you can't change what actually happened. You're not really omnipotent.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.