Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Norway plans Doomsday Vault

Author Topic: Norway plans Doomsday Vault
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
So I know I've not posted in forever but when I saw this, I knew some of you would get a kick out of it and might help with some story ideas but then again its kind of overdone I suppose.

Seeds to be saved in Doomsday vault

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
So I guess ragweed and poison ivy didn't make the cut?
Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to know SOMEone is preparing for the future...
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Since they're prepared, does that mean I can stop worrying now
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

I suppose it all depends on how easily accesible you think that an isolated island some where in the extreme north Atlantic ocean is going to be assuming we need acess to them.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
So after the apocalypse the whole world is going to be Norway?

I feel a flash challenge coming on...

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
So, apocaplyse happens and a ragged band of survivors make their way to that frozen island and eat all the seed to survive? And this would be seed adapted to modern farming techniques? Like wheat whose seed stays so attached to the stalk that it cannot naturally reseed itself? Is there also a stcokpile of modern sowers and reapers, and spare parts and instruction manuals and like lots and lots of diesel?
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I think EATING the seeds, instead of planting them, might be self-defeating.

Sure hope they include pistachios. I'd hate to lose pistachios.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course there'd have to be somebody left over after the apocalypse to restart farming...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While the facility will be fenced in and guarded, Svalbard's free-roaming polar bears, known for their ferocity, could also act as natural guardians, according to the Global Diversity Trust.

Somehow, this seems either pointless or self-defeating. I'm not sure which.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

Wel in the case of global warming that results in Waterworld its all moot any way

Now in the case of a Day after Tomorrow its still kind of moot.

So the question is which set of doomsday predicitions do you actually believe?

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope that they don't forget to leave the key to the place under the mat when the apocalypse happens, you know?

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, the key will be some big riddle or treasure hunt or something. Then, when "Adam" and "Eve" find it, they can consummate the beginning of a new life on the bare soil of a place they'll come to call "Eden."

Not that this idea has been totally overdone, or anything. I just wish the Norwegians would come up with something a little more original.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The seeds, packaged in foil, would be stored at such cold temperatures that they could last hundreds, even thousands, of years, according to the independent Global Crop Diversity Trust.

Lovely. I can see the several-thousand-years-from-now story already.

SOWING THEIR WILD OATS

June 18, 4006, The Svalbard Archipelago:
While attempting to mine an obscure island in this little volcanic chain -- a part of the Global Federation that used to be the Norwegian state in the European Union -- a drill struck what appears to be an ancient cache of seeds, exposing them to the air for the first time in well over a thousand years. Unfortunately for humanity, these seeds are wild and able to reproduce their virulent strains of grain without the normal requirements for artificial fertilization and germination. The residents of the mining community, not realizing what they were doing, sent some of them home as mementos. Some got planted. The result is rampant overgrowth of ancient foodstuffs (now barely edible to our advanced digestive tracts) and severe food shortages -- not to mention tremendous environmental disturbance caused by these self-sowing ancient weeds. Seven hundred years of ecological balance has been destroyed by the infestation.

Law of unintended consequences, anyone?

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the part where polar bears eat "Adam" and "Eve" soon after they consumate the beginning of their new (and tragically short) life in "Eden".
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
My mind is telling me that this isn't the first of these caves. It's like a memory stripped of specifics. (I even watched Titan: AE, to see if it was that but it isn't.) Or perhaps it's the giant titanium rosetta stone in Death Valley.

(BTW I wonder if they have Bananas in there? can't build a new world without bananas.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I only recently learned that the mythology of Norway does call for the world situation to just get worse and worse until an apocalyptic war kills just about everyone, but a few survive to start the whole magilla over again.

"The Old Norse vision of the future is bleak. In the end, it was believed, the forces of chaos will outnumber and overcome the divine and human guardians of order...
"Still, there will be a few survivors, both human and divine, who will populate a new world, to start the cycle anew."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_mythology#The_end_times_.28Eschatological_beliefs.29

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'll find very few people in Norway these days who still take Ragnarok, and the survival of Lif and Lifthrasir in Hoddmimir's Wood, entirely seriously...

The main sign for the onset of Ragnarok, though, is the Fimbulwinter, which lasts for seven years (or three, I think, depending on the source), during which "brother will kill brother" and generally the world will go to hell in a handbasket.

Doesn't sound entirely compatible with global warming, although there are the suggestions that the Gulf Stream will shift as the polar current changes, which would leave the UK and Scandinavia entering a new Ice Age. So maybe they were right.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
I think (though I may well be wrong) that scholars believe that the rebirth of the world was a later addition to the Ragnarok story and a result of Christianity beginning to permeate Northern Europe.

So originally the world just ended.

No polar bear versions of Adam and Eve nor nuffink.

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
They might as well go through with it...and hope that North Korea or whoever doesn't specifically target a warhead at it...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.