Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Best rejection yet

Author Topic: Best rejection yet
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
"Your writing is delightful."

I assume this is meant to be encouraging, and that I should submit elsewhere with optimism befitting a hungry puppy.

It's a nice change from the feedback I've gotten so far. It's also a nice change from the negative feedback I've gotten from sober academic types, which basically boils down to, "your paper is teh sux."

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neoindra
Member # 3422

- posted      Profile for Neoindra   Email Neoindra         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently got a rejection from a magazine, after they held the article for an extra month, where they said they loved reading it three times in the letter and that they felt it was a very important topic, but that it wasn’t anecdotal enough. I took it as I was a runner up and at the last minute the perfect story came in. Oh well, at least I’ve started getting actual feedback from actual editors instead of the form letters from the unsigned masses. That’s got to be worth something.
Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I once got a rejection that summed up by saying, "I'm sure you'll find a home for this." I was so encouraged by that -- but alas, I still have not found a home for the story in question. (A shame ... it's my favorite.)
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend and I once submitted a comedy script to the BBC when we were about 16. We received the following complaints (and yes they were listed)

1. It's too long
2. There are too many characters
3. It's not funny

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Worst acceptance: I don't like this sort of thing at all, but the editor-in-chief does, so I guess I have to accept it anyway.

Best acceptance: "You're a pro, Will."

Worst rejection: "The next time you purposely mix the pages in your story to see if it gets read, it won't be." I got back a manuscript with the pages in totally random order.

Best rejection: "Send us more stuff."

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jammrock
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Jammrock   Email Jammrock         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only sumbitted on story for publishing so far, and actually got a note back from the editor. Didn't say it was bad or anything, it "just [was]n't the type of story we publish." Need to do more research on my publications next time I try.
Posts: 136 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
wbriggs: Did you mix the pages?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Will, why did you mix up the pages?

EDIT: Ha ha, Spaceman!

So here's what happened. I was pitching an idea for a column for an online webzine. The reason for rejection (stated in the email) was that they couldn't consider it for monetary reasons: columns are free content (a loss leader), and they're limiting them until they start making more money.

I'm sorely tempted to send a reply saying I'd be willing to do it only for the publishing cred. Is this wise? I assume there are more costs to them than just paying for the words.

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited June 22, 2006).]

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
See, now if you had told the editor that he could use the printing press in your basement, that might have landed you the gig.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
Submitted some poems to a lit mag last year, got back a preprinted rejection which ended, "...and we look forward to seeing more of your work." (Among other, less flattering things. But I wanted to focus on the positive.)

Although I considered the possibility that this might, in fact, be their standard rejection, I waited until their next reading period and submitted some more stuff. Got back the exact same preprinted rejection, except they had deleted, "...and we look forward to seeing more of your work." The deletion caused it to end with a sentence fragment. *sigh* I love going backwards.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is encouraging.

Three of my four rejection letters have taken the time to tell me where the difference was between my story and what they wanted to publish.

One gave me a form letter which was basically

The reason we did not opt for your story was the [u]unrealistic dialogue[/u].

it then went on to a 1000 word advertisement for their publications including many "click here to subscribe" links.

The funny part is that the particular story I submitted to them had absolutely no dialogue.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
I got one back a couple weeks ago that said: Nicely handled but I'm looking for something with more plot.

That's the best rejection I've seen yet. Sigh.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InsideOutside
Member # 3548

- posted      Profile for InsideOutside   Email InsideOutside         Edit/Delete Post 
My best rejection - "Wow. Just... wow."
My worst rejection - "Wow. Just... wow."

It was a short-story I wrote about a time-travelling detective named Herlock Sholmes, whose partner was a narcoleptic chimpanzee named Waltzin. Come on, that's best seller material! lol.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd start a "worst rejection" thread---I have one definitely in mind---but I'm reluctant to put up something that might be construed as libel and slander.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, getting into complaining about your rejections is always a bad idea. Even if it doesn't get you sued, it might persuade everyone that gets a story from you to play it safe and just send you a form rejection. Editors might not have read your story, but they are actually very likely to have read your anti-editor rant online.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rilnian
Member # 3506

- posted      Profile for Rilnian   Email Rilnian         Edit/Delete Post 
Orwell was right more than he knew....

Creepy satellites...

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aust Alien
Member # 3493

- posted      Profile for Aust Alien   Email Aust Alien         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, complaining about rejections?? Just celebrate that you got yourself off your seat, finished something and sent it on. I wish had.... :-)

Okay, now for somewhere else to procrastinate...

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I've fallen in love with "Shimmer". Not only have they taken less than 2 DAYS to go through my story, but the rejection slip was personal and encouraging... and also very true.
I'll send them the best I can produce (however poor that may be, sigh) and I'm going to tell everyone else to do the same.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey, complaining about rejections?? Just celebrate that you got yourself off your seat, finished something and sent it on. I wish had.... :-)

Okay, now for somewhere else to procrastinate...

O_O Get out of my head!

(Seriously, though, I should probably be writing more . . . 9_9 )

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
I got one that said "I should apply to a magazine more suited for my unique writing"
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.