Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How much does reading bad writing help?

Author Topic: How much does reading bad writing help?
MightyCow
Member # 3384

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
There have been several posts discussing successful books that aren't written with a great deal of skill. Marketing and sales aside, how helpful do you feel it is to read bad writing (not the particular authors from the other threads) in order to better notice when you make the same mistakes?

I picked up a book the other day, which seemed interesting, and there were 5-6 further books in the series, so I figured that it had to be pretty good. I'm about 12 pages in, and I have to say it's pretty pulpy. I'm noticing a lot of bad writing, but I may keep reading, just to notice all the poor choices in word use, dialog, pacing, and so on.

Anyone else ever keep reading something bad, just to figure out what NOT to do?

Posts: 86 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verdant
Member # 3498

- posted      Profile for Verdant   Email Verdant         Edit/Delete Post 
Read Atlanta Nights. You'll Laugh. You'll cry. You'll sometimes wonder just exactly what is being said. Reading bad writing can help if you know what you are reading. It is sometimes helpful to ignore it as candy but I also like to look at things through the "you have to know the rules in order to break them" philosophy.

It is my general frame of mind that reading is good. Period. bad writing, good writing, any writing. If you can tell the difference, great. If you can tell why, better.

Good Writing

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

This book is so bad, I want to take notes. Hell, I might.

It's definitely one of those that make you think, "This guy has a whole series of books, with writing like this? My book's going to sell like hotcakes!"

Posts: 86 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
This might get me burned at the stake around here, but it doesn't take great writing to make a great writer. Sometimes even authors with questionable prose can teach you how to do something right. After all, there is a reason they're published--somebody somewhere believed that their book embodied something capable of selling.

Take The Bourne Identity by Ludlum. There is no reasonable question that book has the best plot for a thriller, ever. There's also no question that the quality of Ludlum's prose is questionable.

Did I learn anything about writing from reading Ludlum? Absolutely. Can't think of a better teacher for how to build suspense, how to invest a reader into a reserved character, or how to hide information from the reader without making the reader mad. More importantly, I learned what to do from what he does well (plot) to a much greater degree than I learned what not to do from what he does poorly (style).

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the writing books I read suggested editing pulpy stories to make them good. I think that is probably more useful than just reading them. I'd rather read good stuff and learn what to do right, than torture myself with the bad.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
ATLANTA NIGHTS

I do believe was written as a joke by a group of authors. Sort of in the vein of "Naked Came a Stranger."

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading a poorly written novel write now that I'm amazed I can't put down.
Why?
The story is great, the writing is...not.
Perhaps because there is a feeling that this story knows where it is going.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

The book I'm currently struggling through is "Way of the Wolf" Book one of The Vampire Earth, by E.E. Knight.

Here's a delicious slice:

quote:
"Grenades," Valentine bellowed. Three of his men gathered at the trapdoor, now shooting down with pistols.

Striking matches or using the lanterns, two Wolves lit fuses on the bombs and hurled them down the square hole. Valentine grabbed the trapdoor and flung it shut. The rusty hinges squealed their complaints.

The first explosion threw the door forever off its aged fastenings, and the second boomed with an earsplitting roar. Smoke mushroomed from the square hole."

I like Mary's idea of editing the story. I would say it could use it.

Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't reached that point, yet, where I read with the editor's eye. My reading is still very separate from my writing, which probably shows.

The only things I really study are when an author creates an unusually interesting character (has anyone read Robin McKinley's "Sunshine"?) or an unusually interesting world/plot. (This is where the Harry Potter books fall, for me.) I try to sort out exactly what is new and interesting, what caught and held my eye. I don't turn that kind of concentration to the writing mechanics, though I suspect I'll start doing so if I keep hanging out in this forum.

So I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of many books I've seen listed in here in various "badness" posts. Has reading them helped my writing? Certainly, because each and every book I read makes my mind turn in a slightly new direction.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* Sorry, I got off on a tangent and never answered the question. I've kept reading books I wasn't enjoying, but not often, and never as a learning exercise. Maybe now I can say, "I'm studying the glorious badness of it all." Previously I've had to say, "I'd quit reading this if the OCD would let me."
Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading a bad novel is a painful way to learn!
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but not only do you learn, you also build character!
Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest instead of editing the novel you simply critique as many short stories you can. When you hit the really bad ones, the pain is limited. Also, it gives you a variety of writing errors, whereas a bad novel probably gives you the same errors over and over.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently reading Ulysses by James Joyce, and it has to be one of the worst successful novels ever. There was a poll a few years ago in both England and the United States asking what was the most important literary work to come out of the twentieth. Oxford put Ulysses as number one and everybody else said Lord of the Rings. I became curious why that place would say Ulysses, so I've put myself through one of the most incredibly dry books ever. On the bright side, I've discovered a lot of writing techniques that I never considered and will be aware of to avoid in the future.

Will is right, though. It's a painful way to learn.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that if you can put up with bad writing, you're in danger of imitating it unconsciously if you read too much of it. If you can't stand the stuff, then the question of whether you would benefit from it is irrelevant.

Try to read literature equal to what you want to write.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for Mig           Edit/Delete Post 
You can learn from reading good or bad writing. But I think you learn more by reading the stuff that works than the stuff that doesn't if you know what you're looking for. It think any beginning writer should have a well stocked library of how to write fiction books, and read some of the monthly writer's mags like Writer's Digest. We, as writers, should always read with a critical (and educated) eye. I think the bottom line is to just read as much as you can, good or bad.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verdant
Member # 3498

- posted      Profile for Verdant   Email Verdant         Edit/Delete Post 
ATLANTA NIGHTS was writting by a bunch of sci-fi/fantasy authors as a sting operation and was deliberately done poorly. It is, quite literally, an object lesson on what NOT to do when writing. That is what makes it so good. Try to find all the ways the suthors misuse conventions and insert errors.

Reading is good, even if the work is bad. Lord of the Flies was not written very well, but everyone loved it. Moby Dick is a snoozer, but is considered a classic. Suffering from insomnia? pick up War and Peace. I like Willa Cather's stuff - not fantasy or sci-fi, but good writing.

What amazes me is that everyone has their own ideas of what makes good writing. That is why there is such a wonderful market for writers. One person's treasure is another's trash. Read it all and decide for yourself.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I never keep on reading something I don't like. Life is too short, and to hell if I don't improve my writing.
Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I remain fond of the work of one Emile C. Schurmacher. Probably you've never heard of him...but, either way, I like most of his stuff that I've encountered...and you'd never mistake any of it for "good writing"...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
"Bad writing" for me encompasses two things: bad style, which is where an editor would have helped greatly, and bad story.

I'll put the bad stories down soon after I've started them, because life's too short for me to waste reading time on those. However, I can tolerate bad style. The story had better be good, though.

I'm with Spaceman here, and in total agreement with both of his reasons. There is no way I am trudging through an entire novel with an editor's eye to spot horrible mistakes. Again, life is too short.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I should clarify my point: reading bad literature has its advantages, but they're limited. The first is a confidence boost. If dreck like this can be published and even be considered a classic, I got a shot! However, this is often short-lived once you start putting words to paper.

The second reason is more practical, and that is to find out why you don't like it. Saying a story sucks is fine, because it probably does, but what value does that have if you can't give a reason for it? There aren't many things to appreciate from reading dreck, but if you gleaned a little knowledge, at least it wasn't a complete waste of your life.

The danger is making a habit of reading wretched literature. Several have pointed out that life is too short. But beyond that, it profits you nothing. Given the choice, I'll read good literature over crap any day, not only because it's easier on my mind, but also for learning what works in writing. It's much better to learn that two plus two is four, rather than being told that two plus two isn't three, five, or a pepperoni.

[This message has been edited by Ray (edited June 24, 2006).]

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you're a fairly good writer in the first place, I doubt you'd recognize bad writing if you were reading it. A lot of people LOVE The Da Vinci Code.

I suppose that's a sign in and of itself.

[This message has been edited by Swimming Bird (edited June 24, 2006).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the only bad writing you should read is your own, and just to tell you that you are improving. If you are enjoying yourself go for it.

But as Survivor said Garbage in Garbage out.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The writer I named was at least published...

On the other hand, in my, ahem, Internet Fan Fiction period, I read a lot of, well, badly-written stuff. Short of a stint as a slushpile reader, I doubt if I could surpass the volume of it.

On the other hand of that, I found I enjoyed a lot of it even though it was badly written---nearly always, there was something in it, some new idea or angle on the series, that made me appreciate the work in question.

So I got to thinking that good writing might not be the be-all and end all of it...at least for me. Whatever I'm looking for in the written word, well, the ill-defined quality of "good" must not be it...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Bringing up the slushpile makes me think of something. At Shimmer we respond to all of the submissions, even the truly dreadful ones. I think that just reading bad fiction isn't useful, but reading it and analyzing what works and what doesn't can make the flaws in ones own fiction easier to spot.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I think reading "bad" Internet Fan Fiction, and often critiquing it for the writers, helped me figuring out what was bad in my own writing. Or at least that's the theory I've been operating on...
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Belatedly I remember a comment I made a few weeks ago in a quick reply to an article posted at the American Spectator site. The article concerned the slide in the quality of writing, owing to the Internet and other factors.

I pointed out that it was like Gresham's Law---bad writing drives out the good.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.