Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » MS Word Quandries

Author Topic: MS Word Quandries
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
On my work laptop I've Office 2003, but since I'm not the adminstator I can't add my printer. However, on my PC, I've Office 2000, which ordinarilly isn't a problem.

In Office 2003, I've it set up so the first 13 are on the 1st page, but in 2000, I've only the first ten lines. What's going on here? Same margins, same font, same layout...

I have noticed, here and there, that a word on the end of a line, ends up on the next line in 2000, logically causing the discrepecy.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you by any chance have widows and orphans turned on? That can cause similar things to happen.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, forgot about that one. But alas, I checked under Paragraphs and widows and orphans were unchecked at both places.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Same paper size?

A three-line discrepancy seems huge.

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited June 26, 2006).]

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Yep. 8.5 by 11. As I said, it's due to words on the end of the line in one version, appearing on the beginning of another line in another version.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
it's a microsoft product. not worth your time to figure out what's wrong. use something better and cheaper instead. there are many alternatives out there.

these are all free:

Rough Draft - my tool of choice for writing

http://www.rsalsbury.co.uk/rd.htm

quote:
RoughDraft is a freeware word processor for Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 and XP. Although suitable for general use, it has features specifically designed for creative writing: novels, short stories, articles, plays and screenplays. It's designed to be as practical as possible, offering all the features you need, but without being complicated or awkward to use.

RoughDraft has the following features:
Special modes for plays and screenplays which make formatting easy.
A side panel that makes common operations quicker and more convenient.
Instant backup of all open files to the device of your choice - a very convenient way to make sure you don't lose your work.
Automatic creation of cover pages for manuscript submissions with word and page counts.
Automatic insertion of user-defined words - for character names or commonly used words.
Four extra clipboards for inserting longer phrases or paragraphs.
A comprehensive but simple printing system, including a print preview that shows exactly how your work will look on the page.
Creation of HTML files of your work for publishing on the web.
Importing of files in Word 6.0, Word 97 and HTML formats.
Up to 100 files open at the same time.
Spellchecking. British and American English dictionaries are included. Dictionaries for many other languages can be downloaded.
Live spellchecking that underlines misspelled words in red as you type.
A custom spellchecking dictionary so you can add your own words.
A dictionary and thesaurus facility (provided by Anthony Lewis' WordWeb program, which has to be installed separately - it's not required to run RoughDraft, but strongly recommended).
Comprehensive text and paragraph formatting options.
Saving of files in the popular Rich Text Format (RTF), meaning they can be opened in just about any other word processor.

--

Open Office 2.0 - a viable alternative to MS Office

http://www.openoffice.org/

quote:
OpenOffice.org 2 - Product Description
Version 2 - another first for OpenOffice.org

OpenOffice.org Version 1 was the first product to deliver the benefits of open-source software to mass-market users, delivering essential everyday software tools completely free of charge. Translated into over 30 languages, available on all major computing platforms (Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X X11, GNU/Linux, Solaris), OpenOffice.org Version 1 is now in use by tens of millions of delighted users worldwide.

With Version 2, it gets even better:
the first office suite to use the new OASIS OpenDocument format, the future-proof international standard for office software
easier to install, with a whole new look and feel, matched to the type of computer in use
more intuitive, more easy to use than ever, with a host of new usability features
introducing a major new component, Base: an easy-to-use database manager with a fully integrated database
more compatible with other software packages – now understands even obscure and rarely used features in major competitors

But the licence is still the same: you may download OpenOffice.org Version 2 completely free of any licence fees, use it for any purpose– private, educational, government and public administration, commercial – and pass on copies free of charge to family, friends, students, employees, etc.
What’s so great about OpenOffice.org?

As the name suggests, OpenOffice.org is the most open office suite available:
no commercial licences or software compliance issues to worry about
no language barriers - if it’s not yet available in your language, the chances are it will be soon
available on all major computing platforms
the first office suite to comply with the OASIS OpenDocument format
the source code for the software is freely available under a full OSI certified licence

OpenOffice.org is synonymous with quality
the roots of OpenOffice.org go back twenty years, creating a huge wealth of experience
hundreds of thousands of users have participated in the beta testing of version 2
with a fully open development process, OpenOffice.org has nothing to hide - the product stands or falls on its reputation

OpenOffice.org is friendly
the software looks and feels familiar and is instantly usable by anyone who has used a competitive product
it’s easy to change to OpenOffice.org - the software reads all major competitors’ files
OpenOffice.org is supported by a global community of friendly volunteers, only too happy to provide assistance to newcomers and advanced users alike
What’s in OpenOffice.org?

WRITER is OpenOffice.org’s word processor: use it for anything from writing a quick letter to producing an entire book with embedded illustrations, cross-references, tables of contents, indexes, bibliographies... Auto-complete, auto-format, and real-time spelling check make light work of the hardest task. Writer is powerful enough to tackle desktop publishing tasks such as creating multi-column newsletters, brochures – the only limit is your imagination.

Use CALC to bring your numbers under control. This powerful spreadsheet has all the tools you need to calculate, analyse, summarise, and present your data in numerical reports or sizzling graphics. A fully-integrated help system makes entering complex formulas a breeze. Sophisticated decision-making tools are just a few mouse clicks away. Pull in external data using the Data Pilot, and sort it, filter it, and produce subtotals and statistical analyses. Use previews to select from thirteen categories of 2-D and 3-D charts including line, area, column, pie, XY, stock and net with dozens of variants.

IMPRESS is the fastest, most powerful way to create effective multimedia presentations. Your presentations will truly stand out with special effects, animation and high-impact drawing tools.

DRAW will produce everything from simple diagrams to dynamic 3D illustrations and special effects.

New to Version 2, BASE enables you to manipulate database data seamlessly within OpenOffice.org. Create and modify tables, forms, queries, and reports, either using your own database or Base’s own built-in HSQL database engine.
Full find and replace, including the ability to list all the matches in the current file or in a number of files.
Font styles for quicker formatting.
Shortcut keys for just about everything.
A comprehensive help system.

---

ABI Word - something for everyone

http://www.abisource.com/

quote:
AbiWord Highlights

AbiWord is rapidly becoming a state of the art Word Processor, with lots of features useful for your daily work, personal needs, or for just some good old typing fun. This tour gives you a quick look into some of AbiWord's highlights.

Multi Platform

Enjoy your favorite Word Processor on the operating system you like to use - be it Windows, Linux, QNX, FreeBSD or Solaris.

AbiWord has been designed to integrate perfectly with the operating system it runs on. It will take advantage of the functionality provided by the system, such as image loading or printing capabilities.

Interoperability

What use is a Word Processor when you can't share your documents with your friends? AbiWord is able to read and write all industry standard document types, such as OpenOffice.org documents, Microsoft Word documents, WordPerfect documents, Rich Text Format documents, HTML web pages and many more.

Advanced Document Layout

Give your document that professional, scientific or fun-to-read look using AbiWord's advanced document layout options. Use tables, bullets, lists, images, footnotes, endnotes and styles to enhance the way your document looks.

Internationalization

Since not everyone in the world speaks the same language, AbiWord comes in many different languages. AbiWord is available in most common and many not-so-common languages.

Make sure your document contains none of those nasty spelling errors by using AbiWord's built-in spelling checker. Dictionaries exist for over 30 languages.

AbiWord supports right-to-left, left-to-right, and mixed-mode text. This means that in addition to supporting European languages, AbiWord supports languages like Hebrew and Arabic as well.

Mail Merge

Do you also hate writing tens of thousands form letters by hand? With AbiWord's Mail Merge capabilities, you can let AbiWord automate that job for you. Special fields inserted into a template document can automatically be replaced with data coming from a variety of sources, such as Relational Databases, Comma Separated Text files or Tabbed Text files.

To facilitate the use of AbiWord in a server environment, a powerful command line interface to AbiWord is available. This allows you to generate form letters, print documents or convert documents to any file format AbiWord supports - all from the command line!

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Yep, I'm getting a bit fed up with MS Word, and have entertained the thought of trying something else. MS products are SO expensive. Free is better than $400 for the latest version. Somehow they hide all the older versions, so that it can't be bought at a discount. At least, at any stores I go to.

However, it's the one word processor that is on almost every PC and laptop, from work to home to the library. I can't extactly install software an a machine I don't own, sometimes it's against policy, sometimes I don't have the authority.

Therefore, I do want to work within that environment. At least, for now...

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
If you install Open Office at home, it will you allow you to save files as .doc as the default. It feels pretty much like Word in the interface. But since you can save things as .doc, it is handy for hauling things around. I love OpenOffice and wouldn't go back to Word voluntarily.

The other option is an online wordprocessor. writerly.com
I've been playing with it, but haven't committed to using it, but I think it might be good for someone who travels a lot.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

I did install OpenOffice and opened the story with it. Same problem. Well, maybe I'm being pickier than the first reader. Maybe the first ten lines are okay, as long as the title is midpage...
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Get an Ubuntu Live CD and shut down the machine, put the CD in the drive, turn on the machine and operate in Linux and use Open Office. Even without Linux experience you should have no problem figuring it out and you can save your files to a flash stick. No footprints left on the computer you're using.

Download Ubuntu here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download

If you are traveling and have a computer you can use when you need to, carrying a single CD and a flash stick sure beats the hell out of carrying a laptop. And besides the Open Office you'll also be able to surf the web, check email, chat online, etc.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

I'll consider it.

On my home PC now, it looks like I have to use OpenOffice. Now, since I've installed it, everytime I open Word, it crashes...

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

never heard pf that happening before, but that's Word for you.

actually, i prefer to work in RoughDraft

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.