Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Who are we trying to impress?

Author Topic: Who are we trying to impress?
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
I know the correct word is "whom," but if you noticed that, you may not be a person I'm trying to impress.

So I've been reading The Three Musketeers (translated into English because I don't hock and spit well enough to speak French), finding that I'm totally impressed with it in spite of myself. Here's a very incomplete list of faults:

- Alternating third-person omniscient and pseudo-third-person limited with jarring POV shifts

- Unbelievable character interactions (including plenty of "well, this is how they thought back then" excuses)

- Unnecessary asides (though it styles itself as historical, which makes it somewhat excusable)

- Lots and lots and LOTS of "tell, don't show"

- Totally over-the-top in just about every way

On the plus side, it's terribly witty and well-paced, and it has interesting, colorful characters, and a great story. In other words, mechanics aside, it's just darn good storytelling.

To avoid the "This thread belongs in Published Hooks & Books" replies, I've developed a more general opinion about this that I'd like to share. (Okay, so maybe I developed it in spite of that.) Here it is: I think I'm spending too much time on mechanics and not enough on storytelling.

It's like buying a Ferrari because my, um, house is too small.

Yet, at the same time, I get the feeling that I have to spend a lot of energy on good mechanics to impress a publisher. Judging by the success of certain books we've discussed recently on this forum (with much hocking and spitting of venom), I'm almost certain there's a disconnect between what impresses readers and what impresses writers. What I'm less sure of is whether there's a disconnect between what impresses writers and what impresses publishers. I think it's true, though. I think publishers may be a little more impressed by what will impress readers.

Maybe storytelling gets less attention because it's harder to critique. It certainly seems like a forum for story ideas (analogous to the Fragments and Feedback forum) wouldn't go over very well. Maybe we're afraid people will steal our good ideas, so we stick to safe topics, like mechanics. And then, after sticking with that safe topic, we start to think it's of prime importance, because, after all, we talk about it a lot.

Maybe I'll just stick to impressing myself. For the moment, I'll concentrate on just telling a darn good story.

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited June 28, 2006).]

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not the mechanics I care so much about in storytelling, it's clarity. Does this story make sense? If it doesn't, you might as well throw in the towel, because if the reader doesn't understand it, I guarantee they're not going to like it.

The writing mechanics are there to help us with the clarity. It's not always necessary to use them, but it's important to know why you're not using them in your writing. It's like building a house. You've got all these tools to construct this architecture, but you have to know which tools to use and why you're using them. It'd be ridiculous to use a saw when what you need is a hammer. Then there's even subtle differences, like if you're going to nail something together or use a screwdriver. It might even be a personal preference thing, like what color of paint you want to have. Writing mechanics work the same way. Know your tools and use them the way you want to tell the story you want to tell.

As far as The Three Musketeers go, I've been thinking about similar things with Ben Hur. The story begins with a lot of things that normally would irritate people on Fragments and Feedback. Intrusive narrator, no name for the character, omniscient viewpoint, and the like, but none of that bothered me while I was reading, because everything was clear.

Which has led me to wonder about the purpose of literature back then and today. Reading Ben Hur, I've felt a rather cinematic quality about the whole thing. There are scenes there that feel like they are coming from a movie, when I realized that that's what is going on. Starting from the nineteenth century on backward, there was no television, so even when a person went to plays, they couldn't get a visual glimpse at magnificent landscapes or societies. But in literature, they could. These days, we don't really need omniscient viewpoints to get expansive visuals because movies have satiated that need for us. What literature offers now is emotions and thoughts.

It's not that there's anything's wrong with grand sweeping cinematics in writing today, it's just that that's not the expectation.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting point about the cinematics, though I disagree. Unless you're talking about long, descriptive passages, then I agree completely.

I'd like to clarify one thing: by "storytelling," I mean what you tell and the attitude and voice with which you tell it.

I think readers are fine with any mechanics and rule set as long as it doesn't hurt to read and it's clear. What they're really looking for when they pick up a book is a good story. As horrible as Dan Brown and J.K. Rowling might be and as derivative as that teenage yokel is who penned Eragon, they all spun a good yarn.

I'm not saying mechanics are unimportant. I'm saying I've had my priorities mixed up for a while--thought I could take any old interesting idea and turn it into a great novel as long as I wrote it well enough. No dice, I think. My stuff was boring.

And I'm blaming HATRACK! Hatrack, darn you! You thought you had foiled my evil plans for literary domination, but I'm BACK! Bwahahaha!

Or something.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of our current opinion on point of view and how rigid it should be dates from literary criticism of the late nineteenth century, more or less. (I haven't actually studied it, so I'm not sure who decided what---the name Henry James comes up in my mind in connection with this, but I might be wrong here.)

By the standards of today, the literary giants of the nineteenth century and earlier got away with a lot...by the standards of the day, they were fine.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Storytelling is always more important than grammar but grammar must not be wrong.

There is a difference between grammar and good style. PoV use is a style, not grammar. Style is a tool used in storytelling. It is not necessary, but it helps a lot.

[This message has been edited by pantros (edited June 29, 2006).]

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if we only concentrate on the first thirteen lines of a story then yes, it's likely we will get bogged down in mechanics. Because you can't judge a story on its first thirteen lines.

That's why its important to try to get people to read your whole piece and this forum has a set up for that - you can solicit readers, or start up groups in some forum whose name I've forgotten. So I think that, as long as we utilize those aspects of the forum, then we may be saved from mechanics pedantry.

At the same time, mechanics are important. I personally don't think they're AS important as a good underlying story, but I good mechanics are what separates a good writer from a hack. And I don't want to be a hack.

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
We can all learn mechanics.

Almost none of us can "learn" storytelling.

It's just that simple. Sure, you could say that storytelling is harder to critique, but that's not really the case. It's just harder to criticize usefully without simply taking over the story, telling the writer all the clever ideas and characters and dialogue that you would put into the story.

I can tell if the story is working or not, and I don't refrain from giving a few pointers on story if they occur to me. But it's also the kind of thing you can only judge in the context of the story as a whole, you can never tell whether the story qua story is working just from a synopsis and certainly never from an opening fragment.

And mechanics aren't unimportant. Ultimately, for a person like myself, they are usually more important than the story. Very little art really exists for people like myself, we have to satisfy ourselves with caring about the craftsmanship of art ultimately intended for others. It's how I judge how important a work of art is to the artist. If it's exceptionally well crafted, then I'll believe that it really mattered to someone.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like doing good versus intending good. I think you have to have both together, though in intending good, sometimes something bad happens. Or something.

I really like Dumas. He impresses me. But yeah, mechanics are not an end unto themselves. For some reason I always connect Dumas with the belief in his day that giraffes were mythical creatures like unicorns.

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Dumas was a good writer, but for that particular age of writer, I'd have to put Mark Twain at the top. He truly mastered the art of knowing all the rules well enough to know when to break them well.
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think at least a few of those things you listed as faults in The Three Musketeers, trousercuit, may have been intended by the author as part of the humor of the book, especially the "unbelievable character interactions" and "unnecessary asides."

[This message has been edited by Corky (edited June 29, 2006).]

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aalanya
Member # 3263

- posted      Profile for Aalanya   Email Aalanya         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I just realized that this is my first post in over a month. I guess I've been busy...

You have a pretty good point, trousercuit. I've recently discovered plenty of books that are not all that great on the mechanics end of things but have somehow made it past the publishers. I begin wondering why, and then I realize that they are actually pretty interesting stories.

A story idea critique forum might be very interesting. I'd definitely go for it.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I've already said this, but there isn't any point in critiquing the story idea outside of the execution.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

It's impossible to say that a story is objectively boring?
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like what I've been saying a lot lately, that I'm too concerned with "finish work" when I should be concerned with solid "construction work."
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.