Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » how do you revise?

Author Topic: how do you revise?
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you revise? Is there any particular method you use?. Are there good books about revision?

I have a serious problem with my writing. My first drafts are middling decent, partly because I sort-of correct as I go along.
When I get to revising them I don't have a problem identifying what's wrong with them, and I can fix minor details. Most of the time I've had my work critiqued by other people I had already noticed ninety percent of the errors they pointed out.
Problem is, what do I do next? Whenever I try to rewrite, the original draft seems carved inside my skull. I can't break free of those first words I scribbled. I can't turn the story around and start with a different MC, for example, because I keep getting pulled back into the rut of the first draft.
Any ideas? How do you revise? Do you throw your first draft away immediately and start afresh? Do you revise on your drafts?

Thanks everybody

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
You seem to be mixing up two very different things: reVISE and reWRITE. Also, there's a third thing -- edit. I'll get to all three of these things.

You rewrite a story when there is a major change that needs to happen. Everyone says (and you agree) that the POV character should have been Chuck, not Bob, for example. When this happens, you need to throw away the first version and start fresh as the old version will just get in the way.

Revising happens when you need to make small changes throughout: add some description here, cut some words there, make Charlotte taller because you need her to be able to reach the top shelf in Chapter 7...These kinds of changes can be worked through a first draft and are probably better for it. The first draft tends to have the most passion, and assuming you can put words down in a fairly coherent manner the first time through, it is best to maintain that passion.

Editing happens when you go through and polish, checking for spelling, grammar, and syntax. This, too, should USUALLY be done to an already written draft. I caution that if something is particularly poorly written (wording), it may be better off rewritten rather than edite.

These things can be combined. Especially in a novel, I might rewrite a chapter or even a section. If I notice that I got particularly clunky with my wording throughout an entire page or two (normally an editing pass), I might go ahead and rewrite that page to get a fresh spin on the entire wording process.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
I outline so that's where I do most of the major reworking of the story. That's where I work out all the major (and a lot of the minor) turning points and go about working out where to set up important information. That gets re-written a lot, and I get other people to read it to. An outline should be able to hold someone's attention for about 10 minutes when read aloud.

So that (hopefully)prevents any major rewriting and a little of the revising (as defined by Christine).

That's not to say that rewriting and revising isn't required though. I did that with my current project and I'm now rewriting the whole climactic chapter 'cos I fluffed it first time round.

Anyway, then I tend to revise and edit every four chapters or so, because I personally find it easier that way. Now I've got the whole manuscript though, plus comments from my wife (she's the one who called for the chapter rewrite)and I'm working my way through all of that. Once I've finished all those changes I'm going to print it off again, do an idiot read (to check for places where I sound like an idiot--I always do this after an edit, it seems to happen when I concentrate too specifically on one or two sentences without paying attention to what surrounds them).

Then I'm maybe going to widen my reading circle and see if I can get more comments. But maybe I won't because I really just want to finish this damn novel now...

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
I never revise immediately after finishing anything. (This is especially true for poetry.) I put it away, at least for a few days, so that when I go back to it, I'm not in the same frame of mind that led me to create it. That helps me avoid the effect you are describing.

I am on the verge of finishing a year-long rewrite of my only "completed" novel. The rewrite is intended to correct a slow pace and distant tone. My goals were to add secondary action that supported the plot, and adjust the POV to give the reader more access. Some chapters I rewrote from new POV, which was easiest to do by cutting and pasting and editing the old chapter as I went. I replaced two cliche chapters with new content, and these required clean new documents to start, although I kept a printout of the old chapter in front of me, so I didn't lose any important plot details. I split three chapters into six, again cutting and pasting and inserting scenes, although some of the new scenes I wrote in new documents, and then inserted them later. All of this required outlining, which I didn't do the first time around and didn't do with any great flair this time. I just had to have some way to break it into manageable pieces. The rewrite has taken at least as much screen time as I needed to write the original.

I kept notes in a composition book, so that I could alter later chapters as needed to avoid referencing material I had removed. I have no idea whether or not I've done a good job, and I guess I'll find out when I start approaching readers again.

I've seen this quote in multiple places on the internet, although I've never seen the primary source. I think it's going to be my next "writing" purchase:

From Carolyn See's "Making a Literary Life":

"Revision is when you first get to recognize the distance between what you wanted to write, what you thought you were writing, and what you actually did write. That recognition often makes you want to throw up."

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not at the novel stage yet. My problem is kind of a basic writers block at the revision stage. Weird?
Thanks for the input.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
I also like to put it down for a bit before I change anything major. I've seen advice that says put it in a different font, something you don't use, then read it. It makes it seem less like your work, lets you be more objective (supposedly...I haven't tried this yet). I also like to handwrite my first draft, and type the second. I also have a hard time revising something long on a computer screen, printing it out and taking a red pen to it seems to help.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm almost completely stuck at the rewrite stage. I can write new first drafts, and I can do revisions and edits, but the rewriting, I just freeze.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Read this entire thread from Dean Wesley Smith's web site.

http://deanwesleysmith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=248

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited July 05, 2006).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 

Hatracker: Help! I'm stuck!
Second Hatracker: Well, stop being stuck, then. Duh.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I try to edit for length---I try to smooth things out so I say the same thing in as few words as possible. (Not here, in my work---here I'm more verbose (and ungrammatical) than I like to be in fiction.) Usually, in the end, it's only a few hundred words out of thousands...sometimes it even gets longer as I think of new things to say.

Of course, since I got the hang of word processing, I pick and pick and pick and pick until I'm not sure it's worth fiddling with anymore. I've tried to stick to one draft (and endless fiddling), then a printout and a fresh new draft (and endless fiddling), then abandonment (and / or submission).

Then there's editing for mistakes---misspellings, grammar, continuity, the usual. You've gotta do that.

Of course, that's just rewriting...maybe it doesn't qualify as true revision. Usually I've decided what I want to write in the big broad strokes (the scenes and characters), all in my head before I start pressing the keyboard. But sometimes I'll discard something along the way.

Right now I've got one scene (an arrival at school merging into a memorial service) in a novelette-I've-done-two-drafts-on-already, that I want to discard, but can't decide on just what I need for the scene that will replace it (some kind of arrival at school, but what details do I put in?) Meanwhile, it sits in my files, its weight-on-my-conscience oppressing me and depressing me, too...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garp
Member # 2919

- posted      Profile for Garp           Edit/Delete Post 
I need to have the story clearly outlined before I start writing. I write pretty slowly, revising as I go along, and even trashing a chunck of pages and rewriting them.

Then I let the story sit for several days before I go back and reread it. During this stage I focus on cutting the fat and correcting the mistakes.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Spaceman. I'm going to try that. Why the heck not? Postage and printing doesn't cost that much! Not for a short, anyway.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

I'm not sure I can write one story a week. I would never send out every story I wrote, some are just so bad they're embarassing.
Jammrock
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Jammrock   Email Jammrock         Edit/Delete Post 
Very slowly and painfully.
Posts: 136 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara Genge, maybe you're being too hard on yourself.

The only short story I've ever written that ended up published was written as part of a challenge, then tidied up a bit a few weeks later. The editor loved it in spite of its flaws.

Myself, I think it's okay. It's definitely not my best.

I've also noticed that I get more positive reviews on my edited first drafts than I do when I rewrite sections of a story. It makes sense because I've learned that once I write a story down I have a very difficult time rewriting anything inside it. Usually I either edit (with a little revising here and there) or start over from scratch.

That's shorts though. Novels are different.

I think the idea of using the comments on a story for the next story is fascinating. Has anyone else tried this?

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited July 07, 2006).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acadia5
Member # 3181

- posted      Profile for acadia5   Email acadia5         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an obsessive reviser. I can't write a paragraph without going back and rereading it a hundred times so that it sounds right. This, I now realize, is my major downfall and why I am unable to complete any story I start. I've fooled myself into pretending I'm just a perfectionist but I can't go on this way. I've set myself to write and for once finish just one stinking short story by the end of the summer (Labor Day) or I'm just going to throw in the typewriter and give up on my dream of being a writer. I'm going to stop rereading my own work endlessly and get on with finishing the draft. nuff said!
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

To Acadia: try writing in the dark, that way you cannot go back and correct.
You can revise afterwards once you have gotten the gist of the story down and have a substantial first draft.

Jammrock
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Jammrock   Email Jammrock         Edit/Delete Post 
That would work great if you wrote using pen and paper. Us paper free people in the digital world can still see the screen in the dark. It just requires a bit of discipline. You have to consciously force yourself to move forward. It's hard at first, but you get used to it after a while.

Oh, and go watch Finding Forrester. Sean Connery movie where he plays a reclusive Pulitzer Prize winning author. The "Punch the keys!" scene is good for writters who have problems with stopping too much.

Posts: 136 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You can always set the background color in your editor to match the text color.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an article from the Wordos site (Eugene Or SciFi writers founded by Damon Knight and Kate Wilhelm):

http://www.wordos.com/what.htm

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

Thanks, I bookmarked that article. It's good. Plus, there's this line:

["She was interesting looking," when I might have said, "She had the face of a Doberman glued to the body of a supermodel."]

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Or just turn off the monitor so no reformatting is needed later.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
No, then you have the problem of typing for an hour or so only to discover that you accidentally hit the keyboard shortcut for your browser early on and thus have accomplished nothing except searching for paragraph long urls.

If you change the background color in your display preferences, it doesn't affect the document formatting, so there's no problem there. Though changing the document formattng shouldn't be all that difficult either.

You can also just accept that a document is going to need a lot of revision and planning. Go through multiple versions. Type notes to yourself.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine writing without being able to see what I am writing. I already have this tendency to not finish my sentences (which I have trouble picking up when I read my own work since I know exactly how it is supposed to end and just assume I said it). Without the monitor on, I see pages and pages of random words, phrases and partially completed sentences, and me swearing that I had written something coherent.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

I see a use for the 'submit a story a week' idea, at least for writers with a lot of hours to write each week. I'm starting to think the only way I'm going write well is to revise knowing someone else will read it, not in the distant future, but soon.

Every time I paste 13 lines in the box and start to hit send, I stop and rewrite part of it, because I see flaws that were invisible to me on every previous read-through. I don't see all of the flaws, but it's a start.

I think revising with the fear of an editor coming right behind, red pen in hand, is forcing me to write better first drafts, or at least revise with a sharper eye.

Sara Genge
Member # 3468

I'm in a writting frenzy this week, but as always, I don't revise as much as I should

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.