Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Novel writing website [BEWARE!!!] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Novel writing website [BEWARE!!!]
aditya
Member # 3544

- posted      Profile for aditya   Email aditya         Edit/Delete Post 
I am writing to build some knowledge in a new website I have produced. It is a pretty creative site where an evolving story is created by multiple people. Words are sold by me, and people get a chance for novel online advertising (direct link to their own website) or just the chance to participate in this internet story.

http://www.anovelmillion.com

I am writing to you all as I thought you might have particular interest in either participating, or just looking. The website is called www.anovelmillion.com. In its first week the site had just under 9,000 hits (about 3,500 coming from NZ and Australia), and it has just made it into the top 100,000 sites by Alexa….the site is getting a lot of hits.

It is starting to get a bit of press coverage, and it looks as though there will be an article in Wellington’s biggest newspaper, The Dominion Post on Monday. If you would like to participate, it would probably be good to contact me, buy words, and get your link on the site before the newspaper goes out, as I’m sure a lot of people will look at the website then. I can be contacted at aditya@anovelmillion.com

Cheers Aditya

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

From http://www.anovelmillion.com/index_terms_conditions.htm

quote:
· Once you are contacted, it is your turn to become the author and decide the words you would like to publish on my website. If your entry is to be less than 1000 words/characters you will have 12 hours to choose your words, the color to surround the text, and submit payment along with the internet address you wish to be linked to. This 12 hour limit will be enforced, and if you are longer than this, you will be placed at the back of the queue.

· If you intend on writing more than 1000 words/characters you will be given at least 24 hours to choose your words and color, and potentially more if you intend on writing considerably more than 1000 words/characters. However, in these cases, you need to do 2 things: 1) You need to let me know of your intention, and 2) you need to submit down payment of at least US$1000 in the first 12 hours to confirm that you are indeed serious, and to be given the extra time allowance. This US$1000 contributes towards the total end cost of your entry, and any difference outstanding needs to be paid when you have decided on your words. If your entry consequently falls short of 1000 words/characters you will not be given a refund.

· I have the right to decide the amount of time people have to choose their words, and this may vary between people. This is due to some people wanting to write more, and also the fact that my chosen time period of 12 hours may not be appropriate when this website gets going…...I’ll know once the site is running and people are buying words.

If you can get people to pay you $1000 dollars for the privilege of writing a thousand words that you then get to sell, you must deserve the money.

I'm stupid. I'll write complete stories for myself.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Note that he's also claiming copyright on all the stories posted.

I think my $1 word will be "No."

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really impressed by the audacity of this one. I'm just wondering if our site got a couple of hundred bucks to host this person's post.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Beth, don't do that! Then he'll claim copyright on it and you'll never be able to use it again!

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited July 08, 2006).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, my website gets between 20,000 and 30,000 hits a month, and you know what? Most of those hits are internet spiders, not individuals. I'd be curious, out of 9,000 measley hits a month, how many of those hits are actually unique viewers and not coming from the spiders?

Aditya, you will find that those of us here are serious writers, and consider a post like yours soliciting the fruits of OUR labors to financially benefit YOU are not going to yield a hell of a lot of return for you.

Other than saying: "Your offer is in poor taste. Boo on you."

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.anovelmillion.com/MillionWordStory.htm

I read the 159 words sold so far.

Here's my critique: Melodramatic, sappy. I can't imagine anyone reading this without laughing.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

Oh, but it's pretty funny as satire.
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you look at the authors' web sites?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

I think a better audience for this pitch is "people who want to advertize." It's not a particularly good venue for "people who want to write."

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
My mind boggles at this.

I think I'll give WRITERS BEWARE a heads-up.

I'm also tempted to delete this topic, or at least close it for now and delete it later.

Or would it serve as enough of a cautionary tale if I just leave it alone?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, let a few more people rail on it first. Then close it.
Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Who honestly has $1000 to give away to just some idiot who thinks 9000 hits a month is decent? I don't for sure. My money is my money and I'd rather just spend it on whatever I like As for the writing part, I'd rather just write the payment of the power bill my computer uses up, as even over a year I doubt it'd hit $1000.

Btw, the site actually does suck quite a bit. Even I could create a better website with my limited knowledge of HTML and Java, which I don't have any idea what to do

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
If I were somehow inclined to waste $1000, I'd put a story on a website of my own, and use $1000 to have it marketed on google or in the local paper. I'm sure more than 9,000 people would see it for my money.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neoindra
Member # 3422

- posted      Profile for Neoindra   Email Neoindra         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m sorry, maybe I’m just particularly slow today, but I just don’t get it. Why would anyone do this? Seriously, I don’t get it. P.S. my vote is to leave it up. Aspiring writers should know what’s out there and the reactions of other writers, that way if someone is thinking this might be a good way to launch a career they can read what other’s think about it, but I think you should send him a bill for his post.
Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little lost, too. "The ways of the Web are mysterious to me..." Though I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to leave a link---almost any link---up and active...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

If you think of it as writing, you will never understand.

It's advertizing. The words are there not because they have any merit or even coherence - they're just a link to the advertizer's site.

pitching it to writers is a really really bad idea.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
heh heh heh,
I wonder if, in the second draft, they cut a couple of words from your paragraph whether you get the money back.

We should buy just one word and make it 5,000,000 characters long, lets introduce a character named: Ixathatacolotamatubishainothighbuster....(add about 5,000,000 letters)...vangogogoch.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited July 09, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

heh heh
or a whole novel with no punctuation or spaces

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

if this person was smart they would add a 'how to..." section to the site, get newbies writing and then paying to post... i feel so dirty ...
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
if this person was smart they would add a 'how to..." section to the site, get newbies writing and then paying to post... i feel so dirty ...

Actually... my husband sent me a link a couple of years ago to a website that did something similar. You had to buy a subscription in order to post your story for others to review. If I remember correctly, it was password-protected, though portions of the stories were available for public viewing... sort of like a teaser for the website.

The reason my husband sent the link was because they were having a contest... membership only if memory serves. I knew very little about writing and copyright at the time (not much more now), but I didn't like the idea of paying someone to post a story.

I'll try looking for it.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

It's not very similar. The idea of this site is you're buying advertizing space.
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

I don't think it's about advertising, though. That would have been smarter.

I think this guy actually believes that people will pay him to be part of an "historic event". At a buck a word, no less. That's what I pay really good technology ghost writers for completed projects that had lots of thought and revisions going into them.

Mig
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for Mig           Edit/Delete Post 
My first reaction with the post was annoyance at this sleazy practice of using our community as a billboard. I'm a little surprised at what I'm not reading from the posts: That it is sleazy and offensive to use our Hatrack message boards to peddle this questionable business scheme.

Kathleen, I don't think the topic should be deleted. It should stay up as an example of how sleazy and disperate some people can be to make a buck. I can't say it enough: this is sleazy. Ok, one more time, S L E A Z Y.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

oh, it's totally advertising, Mr. House. He even explains somewhere how he ripped the idea off from that buy-a-pixel site. That he thinks he's going to have a salable book at the end just shows he's delusional.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured out what to do.

Do you like my change of the topic title?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice compromise, Kathleen. I actually didn't even notice this until today, when the "BEWARE" was added -- now I'm afraid my head has jumped off my shoulderrs, spun around 360 degrees, and plopped back on.

In other words, what the *#@#?

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

Beth, I stand corrected. I mistook delusion for strategy. So sorry.
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
There are people with way too much money on their hands. I could mug them for postage...
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Hmph. I was hoping to get a cut of the money, but I suppose that we've all had a few laughs....

You know what? I think I'd rather have a few bucks and laughs.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just another harmless internet fad. It started with the Million Dollar Homepage, which sold a million pixels at $1 per pixel and actually did make a million dollars.

There are others, some benefitting charities. The idea is to make a million dollars from people a few dollars at a time.

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited July 12, 2006).]

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
In fact, here is a link to more of them: The Million Dollar Script Page.

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited July 12, 2006).]

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the stipulation about the $1000 payment in advance bit is what makes it possibly seem evil.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I already give away thousands of dollars to undeserving people. They hide their names under the initials I.R.S.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Is it evil to take advantage of the stupidity of mankind? To be honest, I've never really felt sorry for anyone who got ripped off by those e-mails that said, "Give me your personal bank account information and I'll make you rich!" I mean, these scams aren't even very clever.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Provided you think stupid people are less than human, no, it's not evil.

I tried to think of a clever, funny, witty, and less biting way to say that, but I didn't succeed. Granted, I didn't try very hard.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

Oh, it's evil to take advantage of people, even idiots. But it's hard to get angry at the scammers when you're dumbfounded that the poor fools actually fell for it.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I don't take advantage of human stupidity. I have learned to enjoy it for it's own sake, though
trousercuit
Member # 3235

I'll drink to that.
Ray
Member # 2415

Ditto. It's more fun that way.
Christine
Member # 1646

I think stupid people are the epitome of humanity, actually. And I still don't feel sorry for them. I used to, but it hurt too much because it was just too much a part of life. So I stopped and now I feel better.

I find it immoral to take advantage of the stupidity of mankind, but not evil. Then again, that goes to my definition of evil, which is complicatd and probably best left for another time.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited July 14, 2006).]

Christine
Member # 1646

I keep thinking about that post I ust made and I thought I should add one thing: Most of the scams that I was thinking of when I wrote both posts were the ones that prey, not just on the stupidity of mankind, but on its greed as well. In my experience, most cons work this way. I do feel a little sorrier for people whose naivete and trust cause them to stumble into misfortune. (But even that would hurt if I dwelled on it too much.)

My husband had a boss a few years back who promsied him a raise and a bonus to get him to stay. When my husband agreed to stay on for at least another year, the man went back on his bargain and spent the money on a bigger house instead. Then he tried to trip up my husband's search for a new job by providing a (false) bad reference. Of course, none of these strategies were going to work, but he was both stupid and greedy, and when he fell for one of those dumbass internet scams (he gave away his bank account info) I pretty much thought he reeped what he sewed.

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
It is amazing to me how many people do really stupid and shortsighted things because of greed. But then that's why I have a day job . . .

We've had any number of cases where X did something good for Y with the understanding that X would receive part of the good fortune (either ownership of the company using the idea, or commissions or something) of course the agreement to share is never in writing or only obliquly referenced in emails. So Y makes a fortune and doesn't share (gee, who didn't see that coming other than X?). Lawsuits result. It most of the cases had Y just honored the agreement, X & Y would have made millions, as it turned out, they both ended up losers. Some have committed suicide, some have filed bankruptcy, some have gone to jail, some have destroyed their relationship with thier children. (BTW - we usually represent X).

There are times when I've felt very bad for X (70+ women swindled by thier son/son-in-law/daughter)(three separate matters) and sometimes not (businessmen who should have known better to document the deal). You can't shut the emphathy down for everyone who gets scammed without losing, IMO, some for your humanity.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LibbieMistretta
Member # 3496

- posted      Profile for LibbieMistretta   Email LibbieMistretta         Edit/Delete Post 
HAHHAHHAHHHAHAH!

Oh, man. How many things are wrong with this? Besides those points already detailed (most notably, who the hell would pay $1000 and write something for you so that you could "sell" it and own the copyright?), HOW, exactly, do you expect to sell this piece of tripe? The melodrama is suffocating. The ghost of Vladimir Nabokov is wishing he could come back to life and then die all over again because of what your contributing suckers wrote. Not only that, but the obnoxiously colored highlighting and text makes this even more unreadable than it would be in black and white.

I can see this "novel" maybe making the top 100 list of a gothy teenager with a Geocities page covered in animated, flaming skull .gifs who listens to Bauhaus while cutting himself shallowly and being mad at his parents, but not many other audiences.

WHOO-EEE, 9,000 hits in a month! You're really onto something there, son! Quit your day job and devote your life to the worst idea to hit the world of writing since Piers Anthony picked up a pen!

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
I worry because I've seen internet fads hit the bookstores before (ninjas are really cool). I could see this on a shelf someday, touted as a group project where people with too much money and not enough sense write the worst story ever concocted. And the 'authors' will reap ridicule, and the person who came up with this scheme will make money. Sad. I hope it doesn't happen, but I could see it.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

I can't.

How many of these "everyone writes a few words" things have you seen on various sites? They never get very far, and that the primary point is ADVERTISING further reduces the odds of either coherence or completion.

Rilnian
Member # 3506

- posted      Profile for Rilnian   Email Rilnian         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone run for the hills! At first I thought it was a cool idea, until I realized you had to pay....

I would like to start something similar, minus the cost for words, and the advertisement. I think it would be fun to talk with others and create a story using at least forty plus people. Of course, it would never work, but a scaled down version sounds fun. I wonder if this is something they do at a writers workshop, all chip in for a story.

Well! And the tainted "sleaze" of our literary community builds with a disgust I find it hard to supress!

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

it is done *on just about every writer's site in the universe.* It always fails after maybe 20-40 posts.

Updated to add: there are some RPGs out there that use this model more or less effectively, because they have a dedicated group of people and involved moderators who keep things moving and moving in the right direction - but this kind of random "everyone write a few words and we'll have a brilliant novel!" thing never gets anywhere much.

[This message has been edited by Beth (edited July 14, 2006).]

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
This does boggle the mind a bit. Why on earth would anyone pay that much for a flash sized bit...when for less you can get a vanity press to actually print a whole novel. Neither of which are worth much, but at least you get more ego boost for your buck...
Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.