Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Well-Known Gestures

Author Topic: Well-Known Gestures
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I was retyping a short story the other day, and I got to thinking about the gestures my characters were making. They nod. They shake their heads. They fold their arms across their chests. They wave. They point. And so on, and so on.

Now, these have accepted meanings---but, it strikes me that the accepted meanings are of the here-and-now, and of American / Western civilization in particular. And since the story takes place thousands of years in the future and thousands of light years away (more or less), I got to wondering how gestures might have evolved...

I'm not really asking for help here---I'll figure out something to do. But it's been brought home to me in recent plowings through this and that, that gestures that are acceptable in one culture are obscene here, and vice versa. Even the meaning of "yes" and "no" gestures varies. Anybody got information on tap, some account of their own to share?

And from a writing point of view...how does one go about introducting a gesture foreign to our culture? How would one describe it? How would one justify the presence of the gesture in the story---especially if it has another meaning in the aforesead here-and-now?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
In _Dune_, one of the Fremen spits on the Duke's table. Everyone leaps up to beat the tar out of him until Duncan Idaho stops them, then says "I accept the gift of your water, and gratefully share my own as well". He spits on the table, too, and the two waters mingle. (I'm sure I have details wrong, but that's the gist.)

In that case it worked because it showed how alien the thought processes of the Fremen were as a result of their environment.

Generally, though, I would use normal gestures that we're all used to. I think that gestures should be much like speech -- transparent to the reader, a translation of whatever gestures the characters might actually use in the future. "Spit" in a thousand years might be pronounced with a long "i", but I'm not going to write it as "spite" in my manuscript. Similarly, people may not use handshakes in the future (fear of germs spreading, etc.) but unless that's part of your story's theme, I'd make them shake hands rather than, um, do a long-distance "high five".

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
A resource:
The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals, written by Charles Darwin in 1872

If they have a human body, give them human gestures.

In the majority of the world, any given gesture will have a similar meaning. There are some gestures, like the middle finger, that only have the same meaning where our pop-culture has spread (IE places where they watch our movies).

The Peace sign forefinger and middle finger, means peace in America, no matter how you hold it. The Peace-Out Gesture of a peace sign slammed to your chest would be an insult in great britain or Australia where a "Peace sign", showing the recepient the back of your hand means the same as giving them the middle finger.

There are several ways to introduce a gesture and attach it to a meaning. The best might be to say the gesture then explain it.

"Glorph wiggled his ambulatury tenacles over his head, insulting Mifkka and all of his ancestors."

Or you could show us the meaning by other characters reactions. This works well when you can have two characters from different cultures, one of which is already familiar to the reader.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The Peace Sign gesture...does it mean "peace," or does it mean "there's two of them"? I understand that in England, if done palm backwards, it's a rude gesture...

Explaining a gesture only works when there's some doubt between the characters of the meaning. If they're of the same culture, an explanation would be pointless. ("He nodded. 'That means "yes,"' he said.")

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
"Explaining a gesture only works when there's some doubt between the characters of the meaning"

You have some leeway here to be redundant without being silly.

Instead of "He nodded, meaning yes."

Say "He nodded in agreement." or "He nodded approvingly."

This is an example of when to break the standard rules against pronouns and redundancy. However, if your gestures are the same as those used by your readers, it would be a little silly to explain them.

If someone nods at me when I propose an idea in a business meeting, it is natural for me to make a mental not of their approval in addition to noticing their nodding. I don't just think, "The boss is nodding" I think "The boss is nodding, She approves of the idea." so in this case, redundancy is not unnatural. Hopefully the boss wasn't nodding because she's got her ipod running and her earpiece hidden by her hair.

But, you can always use another characters reaction.

"Joe nodded.

"Noting Joes affirmative response, Mike continued."

Keep in mind these are bad writing but good examples using the most basic concepts.

Don't, as in your example, outright define the gesture. Do, reaffirm the gesture.

The Peace sign is derived from "V for Victory" I don't know why or the history of it, but someone probably saw someone noting the end of the war with the symbol and connected "end of war" = "peace" instead of "V for victory".

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm deliberately going on a tangent...
Italians and Spaniards move their hands a lot when they speak. It agravates the dickens out of French people, who think it's rude to be so expressive, but to Italians and Spaniards if you don't do it, you're a cold heartless, unempathical bastard who is either bored or angry or uninterested.
Likewise, I've noticed anglo-saxons tend to cross their arms across their chests when they speak. In Spain that would be cool for a guy but in a girl it would mean:
a. if you're a guy, she's noticed you're looking at her boobs
b. in any other situation: she's on the defensive and not confortable in the conversation.
Anglo-saxon women sometimes place their hands on their hips, in the South of Europe young girls rarely do that, and if they do, they don't stick their elbows out.
In all the cultures I know, if someone speaks to you and their feet are pointing in another direction it means you're boring them and they want to leave.
It's not the same as an expression but it's body language and it helps build character.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.csupomona.edu/~tassi/gestures.htm#asian

Here is a link to gestures in asian cultures, maybe it will generate some ideas.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
just as in the use of dialect in dialogue, gestures should be used sparingly and abandoned once the point is made.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, the "V for Victory" campaign started in World War II when somebody heard that people in Occupied Europe were scribbling "R. A. F." on walls. Since every moment was precious---and being caught in the act might well mean death---it was suggested that a simple "V" (standing for "Victory" in several languages, and a couple of things in others) would work better and faster. And it caught on.

I read recently (probably one of the things that started me worrying about this) that crossing the arms across the chest is a sign of respectful attention in India (I think), but a signal of boredom with and contempt for the listener in America.

And the various meanings of the "Peace Sign Minus One" can astonish Americans, who, after all, tend to assume our world is universal...

(edited to correct a typo)

[This message has been edited by Robert Nowall (edited July 25, 2006).]

Aust Alien
Member # 3493

- posted      Profile for Aust Alien   Email Aust Alien         Edit/Delete Post 
My ten cents worth: Zulus shake their heads side-to-side when they say yes.

Thanks to "The Gods Must be Crazy".

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Those weren't Zulus....

Bottom line, use appropriate POV.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
authorsjourney
Member # 3569

- posted      Profile for authorsjourney   Email authorsjourney         Edit/Delete Post 
Those were the !kung people.

I suspect that movie is not the best anthropological reference material...

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

There's the parallel issue of how close two people should be standing when talking to each other. I forget the exact length (but know it when it happens), but, I gather, Americans run into trouble in South America, where it's a little shorter distance...
Survivor
Member # 213

They weren't !kung either, but that doesn't sound silly at least.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
yes many gestures mean different things in different places, two finger placed upon your heart/left breast, can get you killed in some places... a symbol of solidarity in others.

Edit: Oh! and in some places if a local starts looking you in the eye it means you've lost their respect and the more blatant it becomes the more trouble you could find yourself in.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited July 25, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aust Alien
Member # 3493

- posted      Profile for Aust Alien   Email Aust Alien         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those were the !kung people.

I suspect that movie is not the best anthropological reference material...

No, !Ki the little "bushman" was, but there's a scene where the bumbling hero gets chased by a Rhino and ends up running into the lady who was dressing or bathing or something. Some Zulu guys are passing thru at the time and came to see what the commotion was. The lady didn't see the Rhino so doesn't really believe him and he asks the Zulus to back him up. They same something (I pressume 'yes' in a Zulu language) and shake their heads side to side.

But anyway, yes, Movies in general don't tend to allow the facts to get in the way of a good story.

Back on topic, though: Zulus also shake hands with their left hand ("I don't need my shield with you" instead of our "I don't need my weapon with you"). This is the origin of the Boy Scouts hand shake (left-handed).

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Those weren't Zulus.
hoptoad
Member # 2145

The Baden Powell handshake originates with an encounter he had with an Ashanti chief, so I guess that would have been Ghana?

Aust Alien, I remember that scene and it was very funny.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone please tell me that you don't pronounce the "!" in "!Ki" as "bang."

'Cuz "Bang-Ki" sounds really weird.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

It's a loudish clicking noise made by sealing the tongue against the palate and pulling it down to break the natural suction. It sounds a good bit more like "tuh" than "bang", though the actual sound is a rather more unique phonetic.
Aust Alien
Member # 3493

quote:
Those weren't Zulus.
Ok
quote:
Message The Baden Powell handshake originates with an encounter he had with an Ashanti chief, so I guess that would have been Ghana?
Okay, *takinge foot out of mouth*
Sorry if their are any Zulu or Ashanti folks reading this.
quote:
Aust Alien, I remember that scene and it was very funny.
:-)

[This message has been edited by Aust Alien (edited July 27, 2006).]

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had characters "signal yes" or "make a sign against bad luck" or such.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
I've had characters "signal yes" or "make a sign against bad luck" or such.

That's as maybe, but it doesn't say precisely what gesture they're making, only what the gesture means.

Survivor
Member # 213

And why do you need to know more than what it means?
Survivor
Member # 213

I suppose I should clarify something here. Whether a gesture is meaningful or meaningless is a matter of perspective and upbringing, just like any other symbol.

When I grew up, I understood both "the finger" and the "F-word" to mean "I'm in the mood to beat my wife and/or children senseless." That was what gave it espressive power. When I got old enough to understand the concept formally expressed by both, it left me rather cold, truth be told.

Okay, I was still too young for that particular formal concept to really mean anything to me. So it was really just the concept of "it's very rude." Since I didn't have a wife or children to beat senseless (even had I been in the mood), and I never needed any formal means of being rude, I never had any use for the gesture or the word.

As I grew up, both symbols ceased to have any real meaning to me. For one thing, having been raised with my father's truly inventive blasphemies (both verbal and gesticulary), everything else seemed pretty tame (not to say unimaginitive and dull). And it was never backed by force anymore. I was no longer a child. I was stronger, smarter, and more ruthless than any human. Seeing his children (and wife) outgrow him had changed my father. And even if it hadn't, such a display from him would have been merely pathetic in view of our relative positions.

So both word and gesture faded, for me, back to their generally accepted meaning as a formal display of uncouth attitudes. When my drill sergeant asked if any of us would have a problem with that sort of thing, I claimed I found it offensive. But the truth, as it turned out, is that I was barely capable of even noticing. I have many memories of sergeant Jones, most fond. I do not remember any specific instance of him swearing at me, even though he peppered his language with such terms constantly (and on one occasion I'm pretty sure he "really" swore at me, the "I'd like to beat you senseless" kind). I'm pretty sure he used the finger a lot too, but I simply don't remember it.

Man, I still feel bad about that. I liked Sgt. Jones, and I knew that I'd let him down one way or another. To this day, I'm not sure exactly how. I think he'd been expecting me to do particularly well, or to follow our covert instructions on how to cheat, or...well, something. But he didn't say, and I never could really ask. Oh well, I guess he realized that I was what I am.

The point is that I know how a gesture (or word) can mean a lot to one person and be almost meaningless, in and of itself, to another. Because I've been both people. I used (with my siblings) to scamper for cover the moment a particular gesture was invoked, now I'd barely notice if you did it in Church.

No matter how accurately you detail the gesture, it will have absolutely no significance to your readers except by virtue of the meaning your POV assigns to it. So why bother describing the gesture at all? It will only look pathetic and silly.

Aust Alien
Member # 3493

quote:
That's as maybe, but it doesn't say precisely what gesture they're making, only what the gesture means.

From the character's point of view he doesn't think "I rotated my neck about the a horizontal plane so my face moved left and right" but rather "I shook my head no."
If it is different to the way we do it they the character would still experience "I shook my head no." and it would be irrelevent if it was different to how we do it.
If you need to empasize the difference in the method of indicating this, then maybe have a pov character from outside of that culture view it.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

It is possible that the mechanics of a gesture has an informative value, especially in a fantasy setting. But I would only describe them if they did, or if the gesture would at some point be explained.

The paragraph:

"What happened here, George?" asked Wayland.
George made a gesture that indicated he did not know.

Is clumsy compared with.

"What happened here, George?"
George shrugged.

Culturally we understand a shrug. It saves keystrokes to describe the gesture and is simpler.

With a gesture that we dont understand culturally, I don't think you can get away with not describing it.

It will feel like a cheat.

A good friend of mine is a cop. He has to report in court the precise language and gestures used by the people he interviews or arrests. 1: For context, 2: For accuracy and credibility.

So the POV is critical but so is context, accuracy and credibility.

It strikes me as a bit lazy to not describe a gesture that otherwise no-one reading will be able to picture because it is specific to a culture within the author's milieu.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited July 28, 2006).]

trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
How about, "Grignak shrugged with his giant flagellum?"
Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Again, it's all tied in with assumptions about the universality of gestures local to Western / American civilization, circa 2000 AD.

Gestures change and evolve...new gestures come in. Most of you have probably seen the thumb-and-pinkie gesture that means "phone me" or "you've got a phone call." (Adapted from American Sign Language, apparently.) I never saw it in use until the late eighties.

Gestures die out, too. A couple of years ago, Harry Turtledove published an alternate history novel set in (technically) Elizabethan England. When characters met, they "made a leg." Made a leg? If I hadn't been familiar with accounts of the gesture (it lasted in America through the Revolutionary War, at least), I might well have been puzzled---I imagine some readers were, too. (And I'm familiar with the notion of the gesture---not the gesture itself, the exact physical moves one would have to perform to make it.)

TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
I have learned alot about certain gestures - the peace sign, the finger, three fingers and of vourse the ever popular thumbs up...they mean different things in different countries...
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

quote:
When characters met, they "made a leg." Made a leg? If I hadn't been familiar with accounts of the gesture (it lasted in America through the Revolutionary War, at least), I might well have been puzzled---I imagine some readers were, too.

I can't think of anything but utter silliness when I read "made a leg." What is it?

EDIT: Of course, I can't think of anything but utter silliness when I read most things, but this one is definitely special.

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited July 29, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

It's a sort of "man curtsy", basically. I don't think that you can really limit it to a gesture, since it affects movement. If someone jumps up and down as a means of expressing something, you probably have to mention that even if it doesn't directly contribute to our understanding of the meaning of the "gesture", because it does contribute to our understanding of the action.

In other words, we (the readers) need to know that when you "make a leg" you come to a full stop. It isn't something you can do while continuing to walk (or run) past, the way you could "tip your hat".

hoptoad
Member # 2145

Robert, this is something that has bothered me too. But it is not limited to gestures. It is the same for names, words, phrases etc. I often read stories set in an alternate worlds or times with alien histories but the characters and places have hebrew or greek names.

You have to draw the line with being a pedant somewhere in your writing. Your personal cultural bent will reveal itself at some point no matter how hard you try to conceal it.

Recently I researched, wrote and designed and exhibition on botanical explorers throughout time. One of the interesting factoids I learned was that a Flora is a book detailing the plants of a specific region and time. And time? I thought, Plants of a specific time? Suddenly a light popped on in my head and I realised that I could go back to old floraes and see a snapshot of the the plants of a region at that specific time. Plants change over time especially in the last couple of centuries. Plants that, last century, were isolated to a tiny pocket within a Sikkim valley are know commonplace throughout temperate gardens around the globe. Never before in the history of the world could such a thing have occurred.

It lead me to the idea of creating a Cretaceous Flora or a Jurassic Flora with information derived from what we know from fossils etc

What I'm getting at is that you cannot think of flora as static. It changes over time because it is a 'community' of living things. The same goes with the catalog of human attitudes and gestures etc. Any description can only be a snapshot of a given time or region. As the creator of your story you are able to dictate -- less so in historical stories -- what species of gesture survives, what thrives and what becomes extinct in the setting.

Whether this all serve a narrative purpose in your story is another question.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I figure, in a cosmopolitan society (say, in any organization contained within a Galactic Empire), the people therein will also be cosmopolitan---blessed with a wide variety of names, ethnic types, gestures, etcetera.

In a more isolated setting (say, a colonized planet some thousands of years after the fall of a Galactic Empire), I figure names and such will develop in specialized ways---there might be a similarity of names to those we know [especially if the writer has fiddled with a more familiar name].

In my current story {yes, the one that set this thing off}, I've got two characters named "Teobaldi" [which I like, but haven't definitely decided will do], and "Farald" [which I don't like and will change before the finish]. The first is definitely a real name of the here-and-now...the other is just "Harald" with an "F" instead of an "H." They're both "cosmopolitan"...so I figure I'm okay with pretty much any name I pick. The rest, as "hoptoad" said (more or less) is being "pedantic."

pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I only hope that if I ever published something, people would still be reading it far enough down the line to have to have someone explain to them any Saussurean subtext that might occur in my writing.

If not, and we really want to go for an alien experience, why write in English?

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I tend to say my characters from stories-set-in-the-near-and-far-future speak in "Standard"...I make an assumption that the domination of English continued long enough to be adapted as a Galactic language.

Naturally, I have no way of knowing what will happen, or if it will happen. But I feel I can make the assumption...

Verdant
Member # 3498

- posted      Profile for Verdant   Email Verdant         Edit/Delete Post 
Trouser, to "make a leg" describes a bow. If you have ever taken any sort of Shaksepearian acting class, you learn that a proper male bow consists of extending your leg forward and then bowing forward while crossing one arm across your chest and extending the other arm to the side (possibly holding a cape)

A woman would not do this. She would curtsey, crossing legs at the ankles and holding her dress while inclining the head. She might also hold her dress with only one hand with the other hand only her chest.

These are not the only way to bow, but were considered formal. An interesting example of this was shown in the film "Shakespeare in Love" toward the end of the film. Watch it and you can see the difference.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

I think if you are going to include a "gesture" recognized or not, then one would have to briefly describe it to the reader once - then as it carries throughout the story it would be recognized.
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
[How about, "Grignak shrugged with his giant flagellum?"]

Well, as long as Grignak doesn't shrug with someone else's flagellum. That's just rude.

I knew a woman from Colombia who liked to stand an inch away when we talked and would walk so close we brushed shoulders. Nice lady, but made me a nervous wreck.

Edited to spell "Colombia" right. Time to go get coffee...

[This message has been edited by Louiseoneal (edited July 31, 2006).]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
to "make a leg" describes a bow. If you have ever taken any sort of Shaksepearian acting class, you learn that a proper male bow consists of extending your leg forward and then bowing forward while crossing one arm across your chest and extending the other arm to the side (possibly holding a cape)

Yup, that's the kind of exact description I needed to complete my image of the gesture...but I do not know how to gracefully introduce such an explanation into a work of fiction, where all the other characters are fully and utterly aware of the gesture and its meaning...

TMan1969
Member # 3552

"What's that guy doing?"

"Look's like he's makin a leg"

"Doesn't he already have one?"

"No you dummy he's bowing"

"Oh why didn't ya say so in the first place"

Aust Alien
Member # 3493

"Cause I couldn't see his quiver or arrows"

Survivor
Member # 213

You can describe the gesture tangentially if it impacts the action somehow. "Making a leg" meets this qualification pretty easily.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.