Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Novel update

Author Topic: Novel update
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
For any of you who were interested, I just thought I'd let you know that the edits are in for the novel I sold to Twilight Times. It looks like they are actually expecting some revision ... I'm going to call it a moderate amount. I'm hoping it won't end up being too major, at least. They want me to try to work on my dialogue a bit -- give some of the characters different voices and maybe ramp up the suspense here and there. Also, they spotted a couple of plot inconsistensies -- not big ones -- sort of the blue eyes in one scene, brown eyes in the next variety.

The publisher suggested that I join a writing forum -- find one, introduce myself, and use it as a resource to ask for advice when I needed it.

Hi, my name is Christine and -- what's that? I've been here for over three years? Well, all right then, but that only means I might trust your advice because I know you all are usually so dang good.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, I needed a good laugh.

I wonder if one will be good enough, think you need a few more?

hehhehe.

Congrats

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ken_hawk
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for ken_hawk   Email ken_hawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Christine. I'm looking forward to buying a copy of your novel.

-Ken

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like you're already doing some of what the publisher wants, which is surely a good thing.

Good luck to you, this sounds most exciting!

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay. another Newb!

Um, welcome to Hatrack, If you look very carefully, there is some interesting and education stuff here.

Don't forget to introduce yourself in the new members forum!

[This message has been edited by pantros (edited July 25, 2006).]

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine, that's really exciting. What can you tell us about the novel? (I assume that any critique work was done before I joined.) Is this your first? Do you have any interesting feedback about the publishing process so far?

Congratulations!
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, so the work begins. Let us know what we can do to help to lighten the load, Chicky.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Oliver -- this novel is called "Touch of Fate" and is a supernatural suspense/thriller. This has been a popular genre of late, but I think that these stories usually emphasize the mystery/suspense and do a poor job on the magic. I used Card's advice in "How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy" and came up with a price for magic -- and then used that to create a character novel at the heart of the suspense. I'm hoping that it can appeal to scifi/fantasy readers as well as mystery/suspense readers. (The more readers the better, right? )

It is my first COMPLETED novel -- by no means my first novel or stab at a novel. It was an interesting one to finish first because it is somewhat unlike any of my other projects with the possible exception of the character story at the heart of it (I enjoy stories of character transformation and self-discovery).

The publishing process so far has been slow. It seems like a long time since my husband threw me that acceptance party and until two days ago, I barely heard a word from the publisher. She sent out e-mails to all her authors regularly, mostly with suggestions on how to promote our work which I do take seriously but which I have little to no power to implement until the novel is finished and hot off the presses. (That won't be until early next year -- although it's coming to e-book much sooner -- as near as I can tell, as soon as I'm done with the edits.)

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I'll read your novel if it gets released "Down Under", which I hope it does as it costs a lot of money to import from America.

On the bright side, your future is just beginning Christine, go for it!

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm keeping my eyes open for it's release.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! The wait might be annoying, but you're in, you did it!
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
Felicitations, Awesome! Well Done...all the best - really, I mean it

[This message has been edited by TMan1969 (edited August 01, 2006).]

Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.