Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » New E-zine (SCAM ALERT!)

Author Topic: New E-zine (SCAM ALERT!)
writersdream
Member # 3589

- posted      Profile for writersdream   Email writersdream         Edit/Delete Post 
Theres a new site out there for new authors, poets and artists.
We pay very generously for your work, stop by Check it out

http://writersdream.blogharbor.com

Good Luck to all

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I have a few problems with the mag you linked to.

First, the payment rates are very, very high for a web mag right off the ground and it makes me a bit suspicious. Orson Scott Card managed to pay pro rates from the start, but well, he's Orson Scott Card. Something in me says, "Too good to be true."

Second, what is it you want, exactly? There are no details about who you are, what your goals are, or what your vision is for this magazine.

Third, what rights are you asking for?

In short, at this point I'm very suspicious that this is some kind of scam.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited July 30, 2006).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
They're also asking for a $1.50 per submission.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't we just get through ripping at one of these things not even a month ago?
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
And once is enough! Posting this on six different forums is really pretentious.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably more "obnoxious spamming" than "pretentious," but a valid point.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

and I am always suspicious of markets that employ such atrocious grammar on their site and their announcements. That alone is enough reason for me to stay away, even ignoring the lack of vision, lack of information about who's involved, odd link with charities, and submission fee.

"All genre's welcome."

[This message has been edited by Beth (edited July 30, 2006).]

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I was done reading long before I got to the submission fee! Yikes! That must be why they think they can afford to pay so much -- but I truly hope authors are not naive enough to pay a fee to submit a story to them.

"genre's" LOL

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this thread is a good candidate for one of Kathleen's BEWARE!!! tags.
Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've deleted a few of them and locked others. I'll leave this one open as another cautionary topic.

And I've sent the website to SFWA's WRITER BEWARE people.

When you consider how many submissions come in to magazines from writers desperate to be published, they could make a tidy bundle just off of the submission fee.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The fee will be used for the upkeep of the site and as a donation to the foundations to the left.

Upkeep of the site... heh heh heh

I used to work, (a lifetime ago) in a telemarketing company where we told people that "50% of the profits go to the ---- Foundation." When I discovered what that really meant (one dollar out of every thirty), I could no longer peddle laser sharpened knives to pensioners.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
50% of the profits go to the ---- Foundation.

Those four dashes... do they represent a swear word?

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

No. That would be the @#$% Foundation.
Not quite so charitable but a lot more fun.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Crappy site, really. I've seen much better scams that didn't involve a submission fee.

Also, I'd never pay to submit my work for anyone.Unless, of course, they're a large publishing company

Stupid scam artists.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aust Alien
Member # 3493

- posted      Profile for Aust Alien   Email Aust Alien         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, there must be a lot of people who do or these guys wouldn't exist.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
On charging a fee...Long, long, long ago now, a couple of magazines I used to submit to charged a twenty-five cent reading fee. I tolerated it 'cause I read and liked the magazines---and had no trouble scraping up the quarter to send, either. (I gathered, later, this was the subject of much argument within the field---I didn't know this at the time. It probably wouldn't have made any difference to me.)

Allowing for inflation and such, I might go for a dollar reading fee. But I'd have to know and like the magazines, or, in this modern day, website---which isn't the case here.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know...I can see a "handling" fee (maybe 50 cents in today's money) but a reading fee doesn't cut it with me.

Slush readers get to be utterly brutal. They really aren't obligated to keep reading past the first page, or even the first line. In fact, they can chuck something just because they don't like the typeface. For the vast majority of submissions, the slush reader can consign it to the reject pile in less than a minute. Sometimes they reject something because they don't want to bother figuring out how to open the package. True, you have to do something pretty odd for that to happen, but it does happen.

That isn't worth a reading fee of a dollar.

And for those submissions that break up the monotany by being readable past the first page? I don't think that you need to send in a reading fee for those either. You can if you want, though. Just put a crisp new dollar in the middle of your next manuscript, with a thank you note for the diligent slush reader

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
For awhile, I used to flip a page way inside my MS upside down when I mailed it in. I usually got it back with the page upside down---and, also, there was a mention in an editorial complaining about the practice. (Along the lines of "Sure, I can read upside down...")

I can admit it now, those stories were awful. But I'd like some evidence that they had been read, or at least noticed...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

You really should have turned the first page upside-down if you wanted to know whether it got any consideration. To determine how much after that, you could have turned every other odd page upside-down as well.

I'm so brilliant it's scary.

Beth
Member # 2192

Turn all the pages upside down! Then you'll know exactly where the editor stopped reading.

Or! I know. Dust the returned manuscript for fingerprints.

Verdant
Member # 3498

- posted      Profile for Verdant   Email Verdant         Edit/Delete Post 
So if all the pages are upside down, how do I know the reader didn't just turn the manuscript around?
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

That was kind of my point.

Once a story's out, you have zero control over it, so it is not worth obsessing over whether someone read to page 3 or page 4. Focus on what you can control: writing the next story well.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

A: Send it to the right publisher, too.

B: I think it's been mentioned before, but slush readers tend to look for any excuse not to read the manuscript.

Approximation of how I would approach the task of slush reading:

1: Read the cover letter and asses whether length, genre, audience etc of the story fits with my company's publishing and marketing goals.
2: I would read the first page if no probs then go to pp 2.
3: If I still want to keep reading after a couple of pages, I would stop (time) and
4: Look for the synopsis then
5: Try to find anything that whiffs of a flaw
6: Flick to random pages in the manuscript to see if the writing was consistent.

Summary: I would try EARLY to find ANY reason to NOT read it. Otherwise I would risk getting half-way through and discovering I've wasted my time.

Point: I think its a bit simplistic to imagine that the whole manuscript will be read in the early stages. A couple of inverted pages would persuade me to bin the whole thing mainly because it would lead me question the motives of the author. Any submission that flags the writer as a prize twit is fundamentally flawed.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited July 31, 2006).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, a coffee cup stain on page six is a dead giveaway that somebody got that far...
Beth
Member # 2192

So?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Of course you guys who grew up submitting via e-mail never knew the joys of getting your manuscript back through the regular mail...the folded and torn and battered pages...the stained and drenched pages...the occasional scribbling on the pages...all on the one-and-only decent copy, requiring hours-if-not-days of retyping to make your work presentable and send out again...to say nothing of manuscripts that completely disappear on you, with no idea whether they got as far as the publisher or not...

Of course also, we at least knew somebody had handled the manuscript, if only to shove it in the return envelope. Maybe your e-submissions were just deleted, and they only told you they read and rejected it...

Survivor
Member # 213

The thing is...I'm pretty sure the dollar trick would work and wouldn't piss off the reader. It isn't professional, and I don't actually recommend that you do it. I'm just saying, if you get the urge to pull some kind of "how far did you really read" stunt, do something that shows appreciation for the reader.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
authorsjourney
Member # 3569

- posted      Profile for authorsjourney   Email authorsjourney         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course you guys who grew up submitting via e-mail never knew the joys of getting your manuscript back through the regular mail

Do a lot of people here only submit by email? There are still an awful lot of publications that don't take email submissions, including the best ones. I can't imagine ignoring Asimovs, Analog, FSF and so many others when sending out a story.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I still liked when I flipped a page on my progress review and showed that the prof giving me a grade had not read my paper. When she ranted about how she saw no proof of X in my paper, I just sat there thinking well, since you didn't read it...Though she was right, X was not included in my paper because my paper was on a whole different subject.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
"The First Five Pages", is a book for anyone who wants some cold reality on the things an editor/slush reader is looking for to send your submission on its merry way back to you. This all done with reading the smallest amount of the manuscript possible.

It also give quite a bit of good advice on how to avoid falling into the 80% form letter rejection pile.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, yeah, I submit on paper, but I can print out a manuscript a wee bit faster than I can type one. all my paper manuscripts are disposable. Saves on postage.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
authorsjourney
Member # 3569

- posted      Profile for authorsjourney   Email authorsjourney         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't think that disposables save very much money. Less postage, more paper and ink.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spcpthook
Member # 3246

- posted      Profile for spcpthook   Email spcpthook         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting back the manuscript I sent out would just cost me postage on top of paper and ink because I've usually looked at it and found errors or added or deleted something by the time I get rejected. I save a copy of the one sent out but once it's rejected that file becomes history so I reprint before it goes out again anyway.
Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, that's what I think. Even if the manuscript comes back in a condition that you'd really resubmit to someone else. Though I think that it might be good to use the submission time to just clear the story out of your head and work on something else. That way you can come back for a revision with a clear mind.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Heres some proof that they were a scam and not some well intending idiots. The site has been cleaned out.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Let's reward them by loading their page millions of times

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.