Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Plots, plots, stupid plots

Author Topic: Plots, plots, stupid plots
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
When you think about it, most plots are pretty stupid. Romeo and Juliet come to mind: thirteen year old kids from families who can't stand each other fall in love in a single night and then kill themselves. (Makes you want to kick their stupid adolescent a- ... and kill their parents in the process)
Wyrms (Orson Scott Card): secret heir of the shmeerp dinasty gets hot for a disgusting ancient insectlike creature.
Somehow all those ridiculous ideas turn out well or very well on paper. How do you know when to stop? How do you know that that particular plot is too cheesy even for a speculative fiction audience?

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, they only sound cheesy when you bust them out of context and summarize them in fortune-cookie format.

At least in science fiction and fantasy plots (which, let's face is, has a greater chance of sounding corny upon close inspection), the major action points evolve naturally out of a developed world with interesting characters and a meaningful conflict. The plot will be driven by your protagonist's need.

Holly Lisle said that writing is like dancing naked on your roof. If you're going to be constantly worried about what people are going to think of you, or your books, you're not going to make it. Suck it up, let go, and don't worry about. Get naked, find a ladder, and start dancing.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
In a sense, you can boil down all plots to one-sentence cheese.

Boy meets girl.

Hero rescues universe.

Hero saves king from assassination plot.

Detective solves mystery.

It's ALL in the implementation. Beloved authors make us laugh, cry, and scream right along with the characters they create.

Write what you like because it will be much easier to evoke emotion in the reader if you can evoke it in yourself.

(P.S. I do not acknowledge Wyrms...I like OSC's writing too much to imagine he would have written that one. Or maybe, I suppose, every author is entitled to one bad book.)

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
authorsjourney
Member # 3569

- posted      Profile for authorsjourney   Email authorsjourney         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the stories that seem cheesey feel that way because they are either too unoriginal or too unbelievable/absurd.

Since many plots are based on an old idea with interesting additions, they seem bad when reduced because you're removing all the new, interesting twists the author has added and effectively summarizing it as its archtype.

On the other hand, if the story is very complex, you leave a lot out when reducing, and it becomes unbelievable for lack of detail.

Of course, everyone has a different knowledge base of stories, so everyone has different threshholds for how original or believable a story has to be to be 'good'.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
As for sci-fi/fantasy plots or for that matter fiction being cheesy - well that depends on the opinion of the reader. For instance I am reading Robert Jordan and I know the plot, can predict the end - but I read it. Mostly because I enjoy reading that type of story. Some people read Piers Anthony and groan, but when you are writing and pouring your soul into it - I hope a writer wouldn't think it cheesy...otherwise throw it away
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garp
Member # 2919

- posted      Profile for Garp           Edit/Delete Post 
You're looking at it all wrong, Sara. There are only a set number of plots. Heinlein said there are three -- boy meets girl, the little man becomes king, the bastard gets what's coming to him. And John Gardner (the author of Grendel, not the James Bond one) said there are only three plots too: boy meets girl, the quest, and a strange rides into town. Combined, that gives us five. Isn't there a book that suggests there are 30?

But plots are merely a skeleton that gives direction. What I've discovered is that knowing the basic plot your working with gives you the ending of the story. A boy meets girl plot MUST end with them either getting together or going their separate ways. The QUEST plot must end with them finding what they're looking for. Etc.

What makes a story isn't the plot, but, as Christine notes, everything else -- characters, theme, twists along the way, the prose, authorial comments, etc. But character mostly. Thus since every quest plot must end with them finding what's being sought, that doesn't tell us anything about how the transformation of the characters, nor does it tell us anything about how the characters react when they've finally found their object of desire.

For example, THE LORD OF THE RINGS. Does anyone doubt that the Ring will be destoryed? Of course not. But, then, what keeps us reading. Everything else. And when Frodo is finally at Mount Doom, we are reading for the pleasure of seeing him throw the ring into the fire. But he doesn't (or can't). And that's the big surprise. I remember having to put the book down and walk around the house a couple of times after the destruction of the ring, I just couldn't believe what I'd read.

One last thing. As Heinlein notes, in speculative fiction, you have two elements working together -- the plot and the speculative element. So in his novel THE PUPPET MASTERS, you have the basic plots of boy meets girl and the little man becomes king plot as well as the speculative element of an alien race that latches itself on the human spine and takes over the human body. Once I realized this, the whole way I approached a book changed.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Garp (edited August 03, 2006).]

Posts: 50 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
And in SF, there's also "Boy *builds* girl."
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that the girl never builds the boy? I've never seen a story or book or anything that involved a female building a male robot/android companion. Anyone else?
Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
The story is never about the plot.

Even the plot isn't about the plot. Plots are simply stupid things.

It's all about how your characters react in the situations that the the plot provides for. Plots are just the excuse to expose the character by showing the characters and how they develop through their actions.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
Time to mention the MacGuffin again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin

Personally, I like to think that there are two plots. The external plot (my nomenclature) is the one linked to the MacGuffin. It's the one that gets boiled down to one sentence, boy saves world, etc. In the end it's not all that important.

What's more important is the internal plot - this charts the emotional journey your character goes on while they're all wrapped up in the external plot.

(Apologize the minor rant that's about to happen)

This is why I think that the attempt to distinguish between plot-driven and character-driven novels is absurd. The plot and the character should be integrally linked. The events of the plot should only be able to take place because of the character in them. And the change in the character can only come about through the events of the plot.

Absurd!

I think the heat's getting to me...

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a female building a male robot/android companion

Tanith Lee's SILVER METAL LOVER is about a female falling in love with a male android. Is that close enough?

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Stuff happens. The end.

Wyrms...that's one of Card's best books. More accessable than Hart's Hope, more complex yet unified than anything else he's written

"Plot" is something you impose on a story after it happens, a way of indexing your memory of the story to events so that you can find similarities between different stories. It doesn't tell you anything about the power of a given story.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
MacGuffin. Hmmm. Maybe that's why Spider-man 2 is one of my favorite movies, despite the stupid device that Doc Ock kept building. (In the end, why didn't something that was essentially a miniture sun, create steam when submerged beneath water?)

But the device wasn't important. Peter's relationships, with Mary Jane, Aunt May, Harry, Doc Ock, and his competing obligations, ect-- those were the important things.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited August 03, 2006).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that about Wyrms. It's been years since I read it, but I remembered liking it.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

For those of you that liked Wyrms, you should consider purchasing the Dabel Brothers graphic novelization of it.

And I don't mention this because I was a thematic consultant. Nope. That's not why at all.

/whoring

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Why is it that the girl never builds the boy? I've never seen a story or book or anything that involved a female building a male robot/android companion. Anyone else?

You can't build a filthy-rich android.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited August 03, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AaronAndy
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for AaronAndy   Email AaronAndy         Edit/Delete Post 
Plot is a verb. You're better off thinking of it as something you do than something your stories have.

Not that that is at all related to your question or anything...

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For those of you that liked Wyrms, you should consider purchasing the Dabel Brothers graphic novelization of it.

Um, I have a slightly uncomfortable question about this. So is it, like, a hentai graphic novel?

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spcpthook
Member # 3246

- posted      Profile for spcpthook   Email spcpthook         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't remember the name of it right now but there was a movie that starred Robin Williams playing the part of an android/robotout a couple of years ago. The girl didn't build him but after her family bought him she came to care for and evntually love him.

[This message has been edited by spcpthook (edited August 04, 2006).]

Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I once read on here that science fiction and fantasy plots and story lines are only limited to a persons imagination. If you have a dull imagination and can't envision what the author is trying to show, then why the hell are you reading SF/F!?

There are very few plots that have not being done, and if I could think of one and write it excellently I could get published easily Anyway, most ideas we write about are recycled or modified with a few addon's. Even romance novels have to be changed for there are millions of them! Literally!

So, I support the cheesy plots and storylines!

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

Trouser,

OSC signed off on it, so no, it isn't sexually explicit. I'd be more concerned about the blood than the sex.

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Women tend to be seen as the ones who have the control and the poewr, sexually speaking, which means that they typically do not have to create men so much as pick and choose from the ones available to them. You also often see plots in which women have to choose between two or more men but rarely see the reverse. (And I'm not talking about the plots in which men/women leave their existing relationship for a new one...a subsect of romance that kinda bugs me most of the time.)

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

I, too, am bothered by the romance sect that has people leaving fine relationships for more romantic ones.

Though it happens in reality, it doesn't make a great story.

I liked that aspect of the recent Superman movie. They didn't go there.

I'm of the opinion that every character in a story must deserve their fate. If a Mary leaves Joe, we need to show that the relationship wasn't working.

The exception is the death of secondary characters. An undeserving character can die to fuel the conviction of the MC.

I do see in several stories men having to choose between women, however. Like Magic and Dragons, I blame this on the male author fantasizing about yet another thing they will never see in real life. (Rand and his many women is a great example - worst love stories ever - all (4?,5?) of them)

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing like going to the absurd to get people to post.
Of course all plots have been told before, and of course it's the execution that makes or breaks a story. But haven't you ever stopped in the middle of writing something and thought, oh crap, I just wrote another boy mets girl story, or oh no, I'm betting the bad guy is going to loose again. My post was meant to make a joke on all us "writers" and on humanity in general. There must be other plots, out there, but our brains are constrained to the archetypical ones because we are, after all, only human.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

Lets say there are 8 major plot types (there are more but I want to keep the math simple)
For each of those types, lets give them a severity rating from 1 to 5. (for instance a boy meets girl story with a "eternal love/soulmate" would be a 5, and a "meet and be friends" would be a 1.
Now consider that you have, in your novel 1 main plot and probably at least a dozen minor plots.
Suddenly you have 13^(8*5) story possibilites. (Thats a very very large number)

So, it hasn't all been done before.
Your major plot probably has, but the differences are nigh infinite when you bring in the supporting plots.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can't remember the name of it right now but there was a movie that starred Robin Williams playing the part of an android/robotout a couple of years ago. The girl didn't build him but after her family bought him she came to care for and evntually love him.

(I just can't resist.) I think it was called "The Bicentennial Man." There's an Isaac Asimov story of the same title---it's worth a look.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aingeal
Member # 3607

- posted      Profile for aingeal   Email aingeal         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a saying: There's nothing new under the sun. That definitly applies to books, since they all essentially have the same theme (or themes). Nothing is actually new. It's just a new take on an old story. Like with fantasy, at least a quarter of all fantasy books are new variations of old fairy tales, like sleeping beauty. That doesn't mean they're not good books, they're just not as original as you'd think.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure every plot is stupid, but the fact a good book can have a stupid plot proves my theory that it all comes down to character.

My WIP intentionally has the plot of something you'd see on Cinemax at 2AM, but I, at least try, to get you so attached to the charcters you won't notice or if you do you won't care.

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.