Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Works of fiction portrayed as non-fiction.

Author Topic: Works of fiction portrayed as non-fiction.
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid I got totally taken-in by a fictional book, compiled and presented as a non-fiction piece. I genuinely believed that someone had found the journals of the real Doctor Frankenstein. (Okay, weird and gormless child.)

Recently, I read a book with those little quotes at the beginning of a chapter and found one that was misattributed. It was very convenient and I wondered whether it was purposeful.

I was wondering about the nature of such a pieces. What's your take on such things?
Especially fabricated histories and UFO books and the like.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited August 04, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aust Alien
Member # 3493

- posted      Profile for Aust Alien   Email Aust Alien         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, sometimes people's who notion of history comes from fiction. Most people accept William Shakespeare's account of Julius Caeser's death as the gospel truth. I don't know how factual it actually is.

A really classic example is the origins of the Nazi salute. Supposedly Hitler and Mussilini based their new salutes on the ancient Romans' salute. In actual fact, they had it based on a movie producer's idea and he had based it on a couple of pictures that *might* have been a salute. There's no actual evidence of the Roman salute being anything like the Fascist salute. The movie producer probably had no intention of claiming historical facts. But now most of us, when we think of the Roman salute think of something similar to the Nazi salute.

Sometimes it's innocent, sometimes deliberate and sometimes it's just plain negligent. Sometimes it's just convenient. The number of times that people in fantasy stories or historical novels opening yearn for democracy and are able to describe the American or Westminster style of government as a model... The number of times there are men who really really believe that women are equal. That racism is wrong. Sounds nice but historically it's not right. I think that's okay for the story as long as the author doesn't pass it off as being based on historical fact.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
I got almost to the end of MEMOIR OF A GEISHA (the book, not the movie--haven't seen the movie yet), and realized that I had been reading it as nonfiction instead of as a novel (which the subtitle clearly stated it was, by the way).

Bit of a shock that.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Corky, It was really Memoirs of a Geisha that prompted the question. My wife is reading it and it took her a while to realise it was not a genuine translation but a work of fiction... she was disappointed.
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm uncertain if I've been fooled by any fiction masquerading as non-fiction. (There are a couple of books that did when I was much younger---notably one that predicted the world would end in 1973 (apparently it didn't end then)---but I don't know if these should be classified in that manner.

What comes to mind is something like Holy Blood, Holy Grail, the unofficial sourcebook for the more recent The Da Vinci Code. During the recent lawsuit over this, it impressed me no end that the writers of HBHG claimed they made it up and were subsequently plagiarized. Surely if it was non-fiction, the facts they presented would be available to all. (Like if, say, somebody copyrighted the events of 9 / 11 and claimed in court that other writers were stealing the idea from them.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corpsegrinder
Member # 2251

- posted      Profile for Corpsegrinder   Email Corpsegrinder         Edit/Delete Post 
Fiction presented as non-fiction...

Recently, I read RED STAR ROGUE: THE UNTOLD STORY OF A SOVIET SUBMARINE'S NUCLEAR STRIKE ATTEMPT ON THE US

You've all probably heard the story of the Glomar Explorer, the ship built by Howard Hughes (and paid for by the CIA), which secretly raised a sunken Russian sub? The sub was armed with three one-megaton nuclear missiles, and it mysteriously sank off the coast of Hawaii in 1968. In 1974, at least part of the sub was raised by the Glomar Explorer.

According to RED STAR ROGUE, the sub was attempting to launch one of its nukes at Pearl Harbor. However, the crew entered the wrong codes into the fail safe device, which engaged an emergency destruct system that destroyed the nuke and sank the sub.

It's a pretty fantastic story, but is it true? Who knows.

BTW--did you know that the phrase "I can niether confirm nor deny the existance of..." is known as The Glomar Denial? The phrase originated as a result of a Freedom of Information lawsuit involving the Glomar Explorer, which ended up before the Supreme Court.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
authorsjourney
Member # 3569

- posted      Profile for authorsjourney   Email authorsjourney         Edit/Delete Post 
Fiction disguised as nonfiction doesn't bother me. If done well, it adds an interesting twist.

What does worry me is when people take 'facts' from such books into arguments. A recent and cliche example is DaVinci Code. It doesn't put me in a religious furvor or anything, but it is scary how many people simply assume it's factual. People seem especially quick to believe relatively silly things if they are controvertial. Even better if they happen to support an emotionally charged point of view.

It's a bit of a different matter if the author actually claims it's nonfiction.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
A misattributed quote is a mistake - unless it is obviously for humor such as the famous Socrates misattribution, "I drank what?"

Fiction, presented as non-fiction can be a great thing, if it is marketed as fiction. I don't want to be browsing my history rack and find a History of an Huckelberry Finn that portrays him as a real person.

But there is a great outlet for creativity in producing reference material for fictional subjects. I remember reading a great fictional book on the history of time travel. It was sold as fiction, but looked like a bonafide non-fiction book.

On the other hand there are thousands of books on magic that are sold as non-fiction.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

That last line about magic is funny.

Wasn't it the NAZIs who said the bigger the lie, the more people will believe it ?
Perhaps it is human nature to want to believe the biggest, fattest stories.

CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a whole thread on books being passed off as something they're not: http://forums.abebooks.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=abecom&msg=1992.1
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no such thing as nonfiction.

There is fiction which is clearly labelled as fiction, and fiction which labels itself as "truth". Trying to pass a fiction off as true is, of course, wrong. It will also get you black-balled pretty quickly, both by individual readers and by publishers.

Publishers feel that you're covered as long as you submit the entire thing to their "fiction" imprint. You can claim it's the truth, both in the text and in interviews, but since you sold it to them as fiction, they're covered.

Readers can be a bit less forgiving.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I was told once, by someone who MUST have known, because she was writing a STAR TREK novel that she wanted me to read, that you can't write nonfiction about something like STAR WARS because STAR WARS isn't true.

I didn't offer to read her STAR TREK novel.

With things like metafiction and "creative nonfiction" as possibilities, it can be pretty hard to distinguish between fiction and nonfiction sometimes, but as writers, we should try to be clear in our own minds about which it is we are writing.

Just try not to do what James Frey did, okay?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Wouldn't it be cool though, if a fantasy/sci-fi novel made it into Oprah's Bookclub?

Oh, hang on a minute...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.