Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Sitting on haunches

Author Topic: Sitting on haunches
Aust Alien
Member # 3493

- posted      Profile for Aust Alien   Email Aust Alien         Edit/Delete Post 
Might be a dumb question.

Exactly what is meant by "he was sitting on his haunches" in reference to a person?
Is this sitting crosslegged? or in the Japanese style with feet tucked under?
I'm looking for the way to describe that the people in my story sit with their knees forward and feet under them - like Japanese tend to, except that I can't mention Japan in this mileau.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to think of "sitting on one's haunches" as not actually being "sitting", per se, but being crouched down so that the buttocks rest on (or close to - depends how flexible you are) the heels. Only the toes and balls of the feet will actually be touching the ground.

You're more talking about someone kneeling, strictly speaking. I'm not aware there's an English word for it (because it's not something that English people, culturally, tend to do - I certainly found it incredibly uncomfortable and awkward when I was in Japan, because my body wasn't used to bending and folding that way). I'd suggest describing it when someone first does it - have them kneel down then rock back so the body is upright - then using a short-hand thereafter.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always assumed it was just another way to say "squatting."
Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
thexmedic is correct - squat or semi-sitting.
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Because "haunches" means "hindquarters" (rear end), it's painfully obvious that "sitting on your haunches" means that you're sitting on your own rear end.

My rear end has never been that bendy, so when I try it I end up clenching uncomfortably instead. I have seen someone do it before, though, at a circus.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
"sitting on his haunches" means the same as the modern phrase "sitting on his a.."

It means they were doing nothing, usually when they should have been doing something.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I do karate and our traditional bow in is "sitting on our haunches". I am by no means flexible enough for my butt to touch my heels, but I do know what it is.

Also the Japanese terminology for it is seizan, or something along those lines. I know the word, just don't know the spelling.

But to the main question: I just say "She/He squatted down..." Just easier for me to write it that way.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
tchernabyelo is right, sitting on one's haunches is actually a description of a very specific position.

It does not mean sitting on your bum.

A haunch is the part of the human that corresponds with the hindquarters of an animal, which means everything from the hip down. It includes the buttock and the thigh and the lower leg.

Sitting on one's haunches means squatting with your bum and thighs supported solely by the lower leg, just as tchernabyelo described. If, however, your knees touch the ground, you are kneeling.

It is different to a squat. A lady caught short in the forest might squat to pee, but she would definitely not 'sit on her haunches' to pee.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited August 08, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jammrock
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Jammrock   Email Jammrock         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to the other comments, it can also mean squatting down and sit on the back of your calves. You see sportsman and coaches do it all the time. It's a great way to rest while staying somewhat standing. If you're still lost, try this: Squat down as far as you can go. You'll reach a point where you will start losing your balance, so you will naturally spread your legs and lift up your heels to balance yourself on the front of you foot and toes (almost like standing on tip toes). Now keep squatting until you are quite literally sitting on the back of you calf (most people's butts will land right below the major calf muscle and just above the ankle). You're now "sitting on your haunches" or "popping a squat." These terms, as also stated, can mean just plain old sitting down, and that's the most common use these days.

In the metaphorical way it means being lazy.

Jammrock

Posts: 136 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly may mean 'being lazy' where you guys come from, but it doesn't in Australia. Aust Alien, you're an Aussie aren't you?

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hoptoad, I'm Aussie and I don't think I have heard anyone say "sit on your haunches"... I do hear people say, sit on your arse or kneel and squat.
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aust Alien
Member # 3493

- posted      Profile for Aust Alien   Email Aust Alien         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. I'm Territorian.
(Actually, I'm a queenslander in disguise, but I live in Alice).

I've heard the expression used to mean doing nothing, but only in American liturature. The expression I'm looking for is the seizan (zazen) position that Leigh is talking about. Definitely in Japanese style martial arts it is used. But if you say zazen people mostly wouldn't have a clue what you mean. I've experimented with sitting on his feet, sitting with feet tucked beneath him, sitting with his knees in front feet before all of which end up too cumbersome. I think kneeling down is probably the best way. From the context I think people will get the idea that it's intended to mean the japanese sitting posture, not the Christian prayer posture. For the most part, I think many Asians refer to this simply as sitting down.

From what little googling I did, I also found it to mean like Jammrock describes.
I don't hear people say it in everyday language, but I read it a bit. Didn't know what it was. However one thing is cleared up: with this much debate possible about the meaning it is definitely NOT the correct term for me to use to describe what I want to show.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer sitting on other people's haunches.
Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aust Alien
Member # 3493

TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, "sitting on your haunches" is also a nice way of saying "sitting on your butt."
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The term "haunches" is deliberately evocative of the way a predatory mammal sits on its hindquarters. It is a leisure posture, but it is not sitting on your butt. I say that as a person who is capable of doing both simultaneously

Sitting on your butt means that your buttocks are in contact with the ground, and implies that you could not get up and move without some preliminary actions to get your feet under you. Sitting on your haunches implies that you are in a leisurely but predatory crouch, ready to move quickly at any instant. When I do both, most of the mere implications of both are fully canceled. I have my feet under me, but my butt is on the ground between them. Usually something heavy is on my back or shoulders. Very heavy.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
What Survivor said. And, if you watch football, it is the kind of stance the quarterback takes sometimes in a huddle.

Also I'd add, that a "haunch" on an animal would be the entire hind quarter. If you were to butcher a deer, and give your friend a haunch, you would be giving him one side of the hind portion of said animal. It is also one of the most tasty portions you'd have, and where most of the meat is.

It is also an old cliche' to say that you "left 'em sitting on their haunches". Which means that you ran ahead of them and left them standing still, or something to that effect.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 2240

- posted      Profile for quidscribis           Edit/Delete Post 
In Asia, sitting on the haunches means butt on or inches above back of ankles, weight on the balls of the feet, knees in front, and is commonly done. My husband and everyone in his family can do this even when they're in their 60s or older, and they start when they're very very young. I couldn't do this if my life depended on it.

Mil, for example, will sit on her haunches to scrape coconut or cut meat or veggies on the very huge blade that's designed to be used by one sitting on her haunches.

I've never heard it being used to mean lazy or doing nothing.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
In Korea they do it with their heels resting on the ground and their knees tucked nearly into their armpits.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 2240

- posted      Profile for quidscribis           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've seen people do that here as well.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.