Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » outline, synopsis, etc

Author Topic: outline, synopsis, etc
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
OK I doubt my methods of writing my two novels have been orthodox, I just did what was easiest for me. I worked out the setting with the help of another person (my co-author) and let it evolve into its own natural story. We wrote that down and then expanded it into an outline. I have used the outline as a guideline for each scene, however, in its current format and with all the notation, etc, I don't expect anyone else to understand it. Not really. It is also quite long (20 pages range)

I am told if I ever want to submit the novel for publishing I have to include an outline and/or synopsis of the overall work. What format should those be in, expected length, etc? May I see some examples?

This is still a long way down the road but somewhere I'd like to get to eventually. Thanks.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Any standard outline format will work for an outline. It should be simple. Just Chapters and a single rank of bullets.

Chapter 1:
Introduce MC
Start Major Plot A: MC find the wonderwatch.
Introduce Minor Plot: MC is in love with the head cheerleader. Love is unrequited.
Chapter 2:
Introduce Antagonist: Rich Jock jerk.
Start Minot plot: MC needs a better summer job.
etc...

They just want to see that there is some structure to the story.

The synopsis is a summary. When writing a Synopsis, tell how everything comes out. Don't try to write a teaser. Write a complete summary. Tell us how everything turns out.

Joe finds a wonderwatch, hoping it will solve all of his problems, instead, it creates all new problems with Joe must solve by being himself. The wonderwatch gives joes super powers such as super strength and x ray vision. He lusts after the head cheerleader, blind to the fact that his best friend, a girl he knew since kindergarten, is in love with him. In the end he will realize this and after a chapter of resenting Joe, Carry, his best friend will forgive him and they will live happily ever after.
Some of the scenes that drive the story include a scene with Joe watching the girls locker room where he learns all of the head cheerleaders hopes and dreams. Joes attempt to fulfill these dreams gets him arrested for stalking and attempted kidnapping, but the charges are dropped.
Joe will ruin the jock's life by joining the archrival team in disguise and making the jock look like a fool at the homecoming game. This, in turn causes Joe to lose his job to the jock...

A synopsis should be about 1 page.
They are looking to see that there is actually a story and that the outcome will be reasonably fulfilling to the reader.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
authorsjourney
Member # 3569

- posted      Profile for authorsjourney   Email authorsjourney         Edit/Delete Post 
Miss Snark's blog is a great resource for this sort of stuff. I read her blog every day.

Firstly, when querying agents/publishers, send out query letters. This is not a submission, so they can be sent to everyone simultaneously. This is basically a cover letter with the title, category, word count, your publishing cred, and a half-page about the story. The half-page is the important part that should grab the agent/editor's attention. It should tell them everything that makes your characters and plot interesting. It should be more like a back-cover blurb than a comprehensive summary. After that, include the first 5 pages.

This is what you send to everyone who doesn't accept unsolicited submissions (which is just about every publisher these days). If they are interested they'll ask for a partial or full.

query letter format
A sample

A partial is a cover letter reminding them that they asked for this, then a page summary, then the first three chapters but generally not more than 50 pages.

I don't think I agree with the 'bullet list' chapter summary that was previously mentioned. Even if your book is incredibly interesting, it will seem trite and incredibly dull in such a simplified list format. It also seems like it would be many pages long.

A good summary format suggested by Randy Ingermanson consists of five paragraphs. The first paragraph is the important backstory to the novel, the next three paragraphs should explain the major plot points of the beginning, middle and last parts of the book. The final paragraph should explain how the book ends. If you use a roughly 3-act structure, this works very well.

The summary should be extremely clear and straightforward and shouldn't be more than a page. The more streamlined all this extraneous stuff is, the faster they can get to (hopefully) enjoying your book.

If they ask for the full manuscript, even if they have your query and partial, it's best to send it with a cover letter and another copy of your one-page summary.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Whether or not your ouline in the first place had nothing to do with what you send a publisher. You can write the novel any old way you want -- no outline, no thought at all if you like. But when it's done and ready to go to a publisher, you READ THE PUBLISHER'S SUBMISSION GUIDELINES CAREFULLY and send them what they want. If they ask for an outline, make an outline basd on the complete manuscript. This isn't a chicken or egg issue, either one can be first. In fact, if ou are an outliner (have the entire novel planned out before you start writing) you will probbably STILL have to rewrite it to send to the publisher because most finished versions stray from the outline at least somewhat.

Publisher's guidelines are important. A chapter by chapter outline is pretty typical, but sum will want a full summary whereas others will want skeletal deatils. I've heard of publishers wanting a full pag eon every chapter. (My thought was, "If you want an abridged version of the novel....")

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the outline and synopsis you send to publishers are the ones you write after you finish your books.

As a first time author, you will not sell your book before it is finished. Previously published authors can make deals where they sell an idea for a book based on an outline, a synopsis and a conversation over drinks. First time author's have to prove they can finish a book before anyone will buy them a drink or for that matter pay postage on a rejection letter.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always avoided the three-chapters-and-outline submissions---the kind that gets submitted before I finish the damned thing. I've always worried about being able to finish what I'm working on. I've had novels die on me partway through. (I've had one die through three different versions over about fifteen years now---one as recently as January.) I don't want to have somebody ask to see a novel I haven't been able to finish.

I have done it on the other end, of course. (Got a couple of publishers to ask to see the whole thing---then rejected it when they did, probably deservedly.)

But I've often wondered whether I was working the outline thing right. Usually I did a one-page teaser (like book cover copy), and then a chapter-by-chapter description. Plus the three chapters, of course.

Never seemed quite right to me, though...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
According to what I have read, an "outline" is not an outline in the sense of being organized like a table of contents; it's a synopsis. According to OSC:

* paragraph structure; it's expositional text.
* present tense
* summary. No (or almost no) dialog.

I'll add

* tell us why we should care. It's a sales brochure, basically. Not "Clarissa tried to get into the bunker to hide from the evil robot monkeys, but the door was locked, so she hid in a rain barrell, which was a good thing because they blew up the bunker," but "Clarissa survives an attack by the evil robot monkeys."

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
authorsjourney
Member # 3569

- posted      Profile for authorsjourney   Email authorsjourney         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a link on Miss Snark today to a useful series of articles on publishing. So far it covers conventions, submissions, publishers and agents and some other stuff, and I believe there will be more articles forthcoming.

If you care to take a look, it's at http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/7/22/25014/0067

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the submission phase of my WIP---I mean novel (habit ) and while I have a query written, with the overall plot a chapter-by-chapter outline would prove a bit difficult. It would go some thing like this:

Chapter One:
People talk

Chapter Two:
People talk

Chapter Three:

Well, you get the point...

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
authorsjourney
Member # 3569

Well, you can always do a page or two of synopsis. On the other hand, your characters must be talking about *something* important to the story. Couldn't you elaborate on it in your summary? The characters don't have to be running or fighting for it to be considered action (in a plot sense).
Christine
Member # 1646

Well, if you put it that way, I can sum up my entire novel in three words:

Some stuff happens.

Surely you can find something more interesting about each chapter.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, I’m exaggerating quite a bit, but I find the outline writing process very difficult. My query/synopsis sets up the idea behind the novel and introduces all the characters. The story revolves around the female lead, but from the POV of the supporting cast, which rotates chapter by chapter.

Another problem was that I came up with an idea to take the B-movie plot of “female cop goes undercover as a stripper” and try to give it some legitimacy. On the surface the book sounds like cheese, but by building it on it’s characters and getting the reader attached to them, they get so involved in their lives they forget about the late-night Cinemax plot. Still, I’m worried that an editor will only see the cheese.

That’s where sample chapters come in handy I guess.

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Summarizing and oulining ARE the most difficult things to do. You just spent tens of thousands (or even hudndreds of thousands) of words telling your story and now they wan tyou to wrap it up into a page or two? Impossible! It's complex. It's got these great twists and turns. It's better than it sounds because the characters are compelling and will make you want to keep turning those pages.

And *that* is the excitement that I think you need to try to capture in your query letter and synopsis. Don't apologize for borrowing a cheesy idea...own it and make it powerful. In fact, the chapter by chapter summary is really your chance. In my chapter by chapter summary, I put the POV character's name in ALL CAPS the first time it appeared in each chapter blurb. Then I had the opportunity to show the editor how the story grew and developed. This is your way to prove that you are competent to handle this.

I used F&F to help me when I was working on this. It is really hard to have an unbiasd eye when it comes to a summary. You'll want to get people to help you. You can send it to me, actually...although it will be a couple weeks before I can look at it. The only thing I would caution you on this part is to be a little picky about who you send a summary/outline to. You'll get people who will suggest plot changes or something stupid like that -- the book is done; now you just want it to shine. Make sure you find someone who understands this.

authorsjourney
Member # 3569

Under most circumstances, an agent or editor will not glance at the summary, find it unsatisfying and throw away the ms. Many will not even look at the other stuff unless they've read through the sample chapters and enjoyed them. The summary is there to augment the chapters, but it's the actual prose that you'll be accepted or rejected on. Still, try and make the summary as interesting as you can. It can't hurt.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.