Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Benefits of changing POV mid-chapter

Author Topic: Benefits of changing POV mid-chapter
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading Thomas Harris' books lately, and I notice that he loves to change POV from paragraph to paragraph.

I find this to be very jarring, and at times outright confusing, and I was wondering what the benefits of writing like this are?

When I write, I stick to a very close 3rd person and I only follow one character per chapter. I think that this allows me to keep the narrative flowing and not confuse readers by changing POV's.

It seems to work for Harris (his books are very popular) but I'm wondering what other people who write like this think the benefits of this is.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
The only benefit I can think of changing POV's every paragraph is if you have all your characters in that scene in a fight. You can go off and focus on who/how their fighting etc, but I personally try and stay away from it, as I find it way too confusing for myself while writing.
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
One benefit is to show how everyone is feeling at the same time, no matter where they're standing. The best time to do this without confusing your reader is after all characters have been well established (or at least introduced). Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy begins one of its later chapters by going from one character to the other showing what they're doing and thinking, and it works because we're already acquainted with each one.

There are cases when the author may want to tell what every character is thinking at one particular event. In a lot of situations, you may want to tell the story from one character's POV, and then retell that situation from the others. But this is usually done when the characters are in different locations. Re-telling the same situation from another character who was there becomes tedious.

Of course, if violating a limited POV is too much, all you have to do is have the other character reminisce about that event at a later point.

The other benefit is uniformity. In The Three Musketeers, there is constant omniscient POV over D'Artagnon and Co., and what it shows is that all these people are on the same team. It gives the different reasons and what they're thinking, but it confirms to the reader that all of them are protagonists.

The only time omniscient POV ever annoys me is when it delves into both protagonist or antagonist characters simultaneously.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't attempt it unless you know exactly what you are doing.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Some guys can get away with it. But it's still a bad idea...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mitch
Member # 3681

- posted      Profile for Mitch   Email Mitch         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wondering a while about how I'm going to release the protagonist is in the story I'm writing.

It's split into parts, which are further split into chapters. Throughout the story the Russian antagonist drives all the major events, effectively manipulating the Japanese protagonist. In the first part the story is seen from the point of view of the protagonist, and the antagonist is simply know as "the assassin".

Then, in the second part, that same Russian, now by a different name, goes back to his home in France to spend time with his girlfriend (though this also doubles as yet another alibi for him). She doesn't know that he's been to Japan; simply that he was going to Russia to visit some childhood friends. They have a lot of trust.

So the second part, as I've got it, begins with the French girl waking up and enjoying her day, and waiting, knowing he's coming back today. I also use this chapter to establish her as one of the main characters in the story, obviously.

But then at some point here in France, I'm going to need to reveal that he was behind it. Two major points here:

1. The reader will find it extremely obvious that he's the assassin, which is fine.

2. She can't know. He continues lying to her. So it has to be done from his point of view.

But when, and how, to switch? Can anyone help me here?

Edit: Of course the same sort of scenario could be done on a smaller, or larger, scale than Russia, Japan and France, but I thought I'd elaborate on the plot a little in case it matters to anyone.

[This message has been edited by Mitch (edited August 16, 2006).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Poorly done omniscient viewpoint can read like the POV is changing every paragraph. It's supposed to feel like a narrator telling the story, ocassionally reporting the contents of the characters heads, but I find I rarely perceive it that way. It could be that I've become so used to 3PLO that I just look for a character whose haed I can ride in.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.