Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » is this legit???

Author Topic: is this legit???
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
http://jaytomio.wordpress.com/fantasybookspot-e-zine
Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think, Sara?

I assume you've already applied everything you know about markets and whether they're legitimate or not, and googled for reviews and commentary and more information, checked with Preditors and Editors, and found out who the people involved are and what their experience and qualifications are, etc. Is there something specific we can help you with?

[This message has been edited by Beth (edited August 13, 2006).]

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
They aren't blacklisted at Ralans, and they do know how to reject.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Tomio
Member # 3667

- posted      Profile for Jay Tomio   Email Jay Tomio         Edit/Delete Post 
Call me bias (I'm the editor) - but I'd say yes. Our first issue is out:

http://www.heliotropemag.com/Issue01/index.html

No scams so far

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed it was legit. But the pay felt too good to be true for a fledgling market and since there wasn't a separate webpage for it, I just wanted to check.
I've applied everything I know about markets. Which isn't much... never thought of checking in "preditors and editors" whatever that is. (I'm googling now)
It wasn't meant as an insult. I just wanted feedback. Also, I like to see at least one issue of a mag before I submit. I don't submit blind, I'd hate that if I were an editor.
Have you just put up the website? I checked duotrope this morning and they didn't have a direct link. They just linked me to a blog with the launching info.

[This message has been edited by Sara Genge (edited August 13, 2006).]

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually paying well is an indicator of legitimacy, not the contrary.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Tomio
Member # 3667

I sent duotrope updated info a couple of days ago, they responded to me and I assumed they updated their page (perhaps they haven't yet - although they have the updated word count limit apparently).

Regarding a web page, we do have one here:

http://www.heliotropemag.com/Issue01/index.html

..but it's something we are stil fine-tuning, as we canceled our html version for thr first issue because we weren't pleased with the transition from PDF. It will be redone and be completely redesigned for our second issue (i.e. a learning experience. I humbly ask people to bear with us - as I have extreme confidence in the people designing it (my partners at Fantasybookspot.com).

The pay rate was something I decided upon because I wanted to establish a tone with our first issue (and with professionals like Jeff Vandermeer, R. Scott Bakker and Catherynne M. Valente, I think we did just that) to seperate us from what seems to be the thousands of market that pop up daily that want to pay people $5-$20 and a hard copy for a story. I actually plan on raising rates (even if only slighlty) at some point next year.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

My apologies Jay.
The question was poorly chosen. I suppose I just felt a little nervous about a young market.
I checked out the web site. It looks nice and user-friendly.
Congrats! There're never enough good markets out there.

Jay Tomio
Member # 3667

No need for an apology! It was a legit question (no pun intended).
authorsjourney
Member # 3569

- posted      Profile for authorsjourney   Email authorsjourney         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a fine-looking magazine you've got there! Always good to see another quality publication out there.

If you do switch to HTML, please please please leave the option of pdf - it's so much nicer to save and print. IGMS doesn't have a pdf option and it has always bugged me.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
You got an article by Jeff Vandermeer in your first issue?

Sweet!

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see any red flags.

Will you be charging for your next issue? if not how are you funding this? (I don't mean to pry, just curious.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Tomio
Member # 3667

Funding is directly via out of my pocket. Printed versions will be shipping next week to those who order. Essentially what we are charging is cost to print, bind, and ship + like a buck. All in all (we only have estimates thus far) a few dollars. Online version is always free.

Obviously profit isn't really the goal. In a perfect world I would say we could cover costs with printed versions and advertising, but I doubt that will happen (at least concerning the second issue).

Sara Genge
Member # 3468

I checked duotrope and they still don't have the new website link. I've droped them a note.
Wow, it's something that you're willing to put your cash on the line. I'm not sure I'd be able to do that myself. I wish you the best and hope you do cover costs.

Jay Tomio
Member # 3667

Thanks for dropping them a line!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.