Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » MC's debut

Author Topic: MC's debut
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
OK in my story I don't introduce the main character for some 30 pages. Is this acceptable or distracting? It fits well I think but I know what's coming and the reader does not.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I think when I hit page 30 and found the MC wasn't mentioned until then, I'd close the book with some appropriate off-color comment.

It's hard to tell without knowing anything other than what you've said here. Maybe it would be just fine.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally it would iritate the hell outta me. I wouldn't write it that way myself. I know others may disagree and I've seen published novels this way, but I wouldn't like it.

Things such as that turn me off. I tried to read a Tad Williams book and he had a gazillion charcters and you knew they were gonna meet up, but it took forever.

Goodkind's Pillars of Creation introduced two new character to the Sword of Truth series who were rather boring, and you knew one of them was lying and the other was misguided from the word go. On page six hundred and soemthing you finally get back to the characters the other six books are about. I hated, hated, hated that book.

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
DUPLICATE POST

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited August 16, 2006).]

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Zero, what are you going to do in the first 30 pages? Write nothing but minor characters? Honestly, not the right direction to go.

I've read works where the MC doesn't come in at all in the first 100 pages and I grew to like the character who was killed off. I threw the book into the fireplace (not literally, of course!), an abomination as such does not deserve to be owned by me.

So introduce your MC within the first couple of pages so you keep your readers, you keep the people happy. Remember, there's a fine line between love and hate when it comes to writing, you just have to think like the average reader out there.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly can be done. Hell, anything can be done if you're up to the challenge.

It may be symptomatic of you not starting the story in the right place, though. Shouldn't your MC be the person most affected by the conflict? If you start with MC's biggest problem, how can you not start with the MC?

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of ways in which this can work...just don't forge the price.

First of all, you must have mentioned A character in those first 30 pages. Who? Is that character important, even if not THE main character?

We creat eimpressions about novels as we go along. The first name mentioned, until another name is mentioned, is assumed to be the main character. If, in the next sentence, you mention another character and then spend two pages on him without going back to the first, we shift our impressions to handle that.

I can think of a LOT of scenarios in which the main characters is not mentioned right away. Many suspense novels begin with a dramatic POV from the killer/bad guy. Some epic fantasies may begin in the POV of a faraway king or the parent of a baby who will become important and be the main character. Some of these setups are powerful and useful.

I have a science fantasy trilogy that I go back to from time to time in which the main character is technically in chapter 1 but since she's a baby you probably don't catch it right away. Her father, the POV character in chapter 1, is a secondary main character and she gets into it fully in chapter 2.

I don't know what would make the previous posters say this is a close-book issue. For one thing, no one is likely to know, when you introduce this new character on page 30, that he/she is the main character. By the time we do realize this, we will hopefully be so wrapped up in the story that we forgive and forget.

With modern 3PLO, don't forget, too, that there are often multiple viewpoint characters that are all important. It does help, when you introduce the main character, if one of the previous viewopint characters runs into him/her but it is one of those guidelines that can be broken if it is worth the price to you.

The price, BTW, is what we need to talk about here. The price is that when your MC is introduced, no one will know that is the MC and they will probably have a preconceived notion that someone ELSE is the main character.

Come to think of it, I just started a novel today that did this. Let's see here..."Rhapsody, Child of Blood" by Elizabeth Haydon. It jarred me a bit when we switched to someone else and dropped the guy that began the story, but already two chapters later I'm caught up in the new action and don't really care that much (although that original guy had better come back into it at some point).

Now I really am rambling so I'll desist.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited August 16, 2006).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corin224
Member # 2513

- posted      Profile for Corin224   Email Corin224         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a series of books where the Main Character was on a path to fulfill a prophecy made about him. For nearly two books, he continued on that path, following the advice of a mentor with a death wish.

At the end of book two, or the start of book 3, I can't remember which, he died. Prophecy unfulfilled. (or maybe it was book one.)

And then you learn that the MENTOR was really the one the prophecy was about. Kind of a cool little tiwst, huh?

Yeah . . . I hated it. I would have preferred knowing who the REAL MC was from the start. I finished the series off out of curiosity, but the rest of it felt too easy from that point, and I now had to learn to like a character that the former MC had never really gotten along with. It was an interesting read, and I've never had the desire to re-read the series.

So . . . what's the moral of the story? Don't mislead your audience about who the MC is. If the MC must die, let that be the end of the story. If they aren't in the story from the beginning, I'd better know why.

For example. You start the story with a messenger hell-bent on delivering a message to the MC. He arrives at the city to find the MC's fortress under siege. The only way in is through the secret tunnel. when the MC's guard catches him and nearly kills him, the MC intervenes, and we find out the messenger is a life-long buddy of the MC. You've set the stage for the story now, it could take 30 pages, but you've gotten us up to speed. Now, at the earliest possible convenience, switch to the MC's point of view and continue the story from there.

That's a story beginning that could work. Or, it could totally suck. Just depends on how you write it.

But I have to agree, if you don't show me the MC to start with, you'd better have a good reason.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Corin224: I actually think that sounds like a very interesting series. For some reason in fantasy, we think of a series as all one book when it is realy a SERIES of books. The MC of the first book dies at the end of his story. End of story. In the sequel, we follow a new MC in a new sotry. I mean, i didn't read it and maybe the sequels were bad (many are...look at Hallywood) but it does not sound to me like an inherently bad idea.

Heck, even Lord of the Rings started out with Bilbo instead of Frodo as the MC...how long was it before we discovered Frodo was the important one?

This is something that is done. It is done often, and it's not even that hard to justify, IMHO, although, as I said before, there is a price.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corin224
Member # 2513

- posted      Profile for Corin224   Email Corin224         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it wasn't a HIDEOUS series, just a frustrating one. That was only one of my complaints.

There were a few redeeming scenes.

I think the series was the 'Last of the Renshai', though I hope that little spoiler doesn't mess the story up for you if you decide to read it. I don't remember the author, or if the spelling is right on that, BTW. Another unrelated book by the same author was called . . . I think . . . 'The Legend of Nightfall'. That one was amusing.

Not a bad author, but obviously since I can't remember the name, not one that stood out in my head.

Let me know what you think of it if you decide to read it.

-Falken224 (posing as Corin)

Posts: 121 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

For clarity I am going to be more specific. INitially the main character isn't born. That's the proglogue, I assume I can geta way fine without intorducing the MC in the prologue.

After that it is form the perspective of a different character who recognizes something is going to happen to the MC (which will drag him into the conflict and the story] much before our initially ignorant MC knows what is going on. He develops into the MC but the story follows a number of very important characters in order to provide viewpoint and scope of what is going on. Now, does that work?

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Obviously, you are going to get some disagreement on this, but I will reiterate that, IMHO, it is fine. Especially the way you set it up: Let me see if I get this straight. First, you have prologue (which doesn't have to have anything to do with the story, really, and should never be considered the beginning.) Second, you have one or more characters, who will continue to be important to the plot, observe that something is going to happen to the MC (who, I assume, you also name) and then get him and bring him in?

It is fine. It is more than fine. It would be annoying if you started with him. Let's see: paragraph one:

It was a bright, sunny day. John worked on the farm doing what he did every day. Nothing was going on.

Actually, I've read books that start much like this and I find that I won't read them, especially if John is waking up and then goes through his normal day.

Worse, after he goes through his wonderful morning and some stranger comes to warn him of danger, we're going to have to have a FLASHBACK or long, boring story to get the reader up to speed on what has already ahppened.

And actually, you could argue that it should start when the bad guys pop out of the woods and get the MC, which is true enough, but even then he's going to have to be brought up to speed through either a flashback or long monologue-style story.

No, you started the action precisely where you should...when the MC gets involved which, at first, must be described through the POV of someone else.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited August 17, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited August 17, 2006).]

Zero
Member # 3619

Hey thanks! I aprpeciate the thoughtful (and very agreeable) response. Your grasp of how I set it up is very good. And yes, I have used the character's name in both cases which links it all together.
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
The author of Last of the Renshai is Mickey Zucker Reichert.

I don't see any problem with not having the MC show up until page thirty. A lot of my favorite novels do this, and actually, the MC may not show up until over a hundred pages have passed. That's a bit extreme, but it does happen. The important thing is for the minor character to hold the story up until that point where it changes.

If you manage this well, it feels less like trading one card for another, and more like one racer passing the torch to another. The reader is going to see the switch, but it'll feel more natural than a big jolt.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kadri
Member # 3402

- posted      Profile for Kadri   Email Kadri         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you don't see Captain Ahab until many chapters into Moby-Dick, but you do hear about him and get to the narrator and some of the other characters.
Posts: 26 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as the story spirals in towards the MC, it can take a fair number of pages to get there.

Don't tell me nine different tangents then follow a tenth in a whole new direction about a whole new MC.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard Margaret Mitchell started "Gone With the Wind" with the lengthy account of the history of the O'Hara family, then only in revision added the paragraphs that started with "Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful." Something like that may be in order here.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
To elaborate on what others have already said, there is a difference between:
- MC as POV character
- MC present in the scene but not the POV
- MC not present; thought about or referred to by the POV character
- MC not present; thought about or referred to by a scene's non-POV character(s)
- MC not present; referred to by the narrator
- MC not present; referred to but not by name ("One day a man will pull the sword from the stone...")
- scenes with people or events that will later have bearing on the MC

Have I left anything out?

What people say/think about others can be a gold mine of character development. For example, in my WIP there is a villain who is very important to the story but doesn't actually appear until the very end of part 1, From very early on, however, the 2 MCs are chasing him, following his clues, talking/thinking about him, etc. By the time he appears, he is already a well-established character - albeit seen through the eyes of our heros.

Another good reason not to start with the MC's POV is that the reader isn't ready to be in the MC's head yet. OSC did this at the beginning of Ender's Shadow. My MC's thoughts are too heavy and complicated to start off with, so my WIP starts in the POV of her best friend, and since their relationship is vital to the MC's overall story, it works.

For another OSC example, look at the beginning of Seventh Son - Alvin isn't even born for a few chapters, and we don't get into his head for quite some time.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.