Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Free Paragraph? What's that?

Author Topic: Free Paragraph? What's that?
Wayne
Member # 3675

- posted      Profile for Wayne   Email Wayne         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a story with a laudry list of causes for the effects the story is about, and I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out the best way to get that information to the reader. I have weakly decided to pass them on bit by bit through questions and answers between characters. The problem with that is that by the time all the information has been shared, the story will have moved very far along.

I saw a reference to a "Free Paragraph" in the "Introductions are in order" discussion. Can someone give me an idea what that is?

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions how to do this? (I will continue to search "Introductions are in order" but I didn't want to glom on to another persons topic by posting a question there.)

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC believe and teaches that the first paragraph is free.

This means that you can violate your PoV, take your narrative voice a little more casually, and take some liberties with information dumping (setting establishment). Be careful not to alienate your audience however.

This is OSC's theory, not mine. But, Im not a highly regarded, well published author and he is.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
You do have to be careful with that free paragraph. It isn't a license to dump information on the reader. It is a tool to set the stage, no more.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne
Member # 3675

Hmmm. Now I'm getting confused. I thought the first paragraph was the place where we hooked the reader. I'll be glad when that "First Five Pages" arrives. :[
Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

The first 13 is where you hook the reader.

The first paragraph is free.

It is definitly a tricky feat to balance both.

Some people will exploit the freedoms of the first paragraph to facilitate the hook. This works when the concept/idea in the story would be interesting to read about. This is particularly used when the first paragraph will summarize the rest of ths story.

quote:
The day I discovered that I could read the minds...

Other stories prefer to hook with immersion, locking the reader in with sympathy and empathy. To do this, you will not always have the time or space for a "free" paragraph.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne
Member # 3675

Man, this writing stuff is harrrd.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The first paragraph is free primarily in the sense that it is first.

This means that you can use any POV, person, milieu, or even language you like, because the reader hasn't had any time to develop expectations about what you will or won't do in that first paragraph. When we start reading your first paragraph, we're not in a position to say you're doing anything wrong because we have no idea what you're trying to do.

The first paragraph is not free in most of the senses that people often think of when they say "free". You get only one first paragraph. Once you use it, it's gone. So it isn't "free" in the sense of costing you nothing to use. It also isn't free in the sense of being a chance to do whatever you like without any consequences. The only way for any paragraph you write to be free of any consequences is if you never allow that paragraph to see print. And a first paragraph is going to have great impact on the rest of the story, frequently it is all of your story that anyone will read. Certainly very few people will read your story without having formed an opinion based on that first paragraph.

I would use the word "independent" rather than "free". There can still be misunderstandings, but I think it communicates the general idea a little more precisely, if with less flair. Your first paragraph enter's the reader's mind without having to be interpreted in the light of any of your other paragraphs. It stands alone, and must be interpreted at face value.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get too caught up in "writing rules" because for nearly ever "rule" out there I can show you one hundred published books that violate that rule.

Just write what you feel like, and write what is in your heart and mind. The rest will just come naturally.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne
Member # 3675

I agree with you, rcorporon. It's like making a souffle', though. You know what you want the souffle' to taste and look like, but if you don't have the technique to produce one, you'll never see it realized.

I think we only get into trouble with all these rules; show or tell, first five pages, thirteen lines, free paragraph, etc, when we let them intefere with the story we want to tell. I think we should view them as tools or techniques to get the story told, and I think we should try to learn how to use them as such.

I have successfully driven a nail with a pair of channel locks when there wasn't room for a hammer. My goal wasn't to use the proper tool, my goal was to drive the nail. However, if you want to drive nails, you'd best know how to use a hammer.

(Edited to fit your screen.)

[This message has been edited by Wayne (edited August 23, 2006).]

Isaac Luke
Member # 3702

- posted      Profile for Isaac Luke   Email Isaac Luke         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what has come over y'all, so I'll give it a name:

"Rule Disease"

Apparently Rule Disease is very contagious, as everone here has got it or is in the process of catching it. Luckily, I must be immune because I am able to read any post I like and show no symptoms of it.

But don't worry, faithful writing community, for I have a cure! My cure is very simple, too: Write the story the way the story is best written.

I repeat: "Write the story the way the story is best written."

Ignore the "hook" in the first thirteen lines. Ignore the free paragraph. Ignore conventional methods of plot construction, character introduction, paragraph formation, and whatever else it is that you keep constantly in mind while writing, and just write the story.

I'm not saying to flout every conventional writing method and attempt to rewrite Finnegan's Wake, because that is just another way to conform, which is what I'm telling you to avoid.

Just write what the story naturally demands, in the way the story naturally demands it. Write the story the way the story is best written.

In doing so, you probably will follow a lot of those "rules" and "conventions," because those "rules" and "conventions" are mostly underlying principles of good writing, and will appear without you even realizing it.

Take this advice with a grain of salt, however, for I have never published a single thing, and most of you probably have. I'm just stating my opinion, which is based on an insignificant 18 years of reading and writing experience.

So, Wayne, my answer to your question is this: Write the story the way the story is best written.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I fear I must disagree with that well-meant post.

I think that beginning writers should become intimately familiar with the rules -- more -- I think they should become intimatley familiar with the REASONS for the rules. What effect does it have on the reader when there is nothing to grab them in the first few paragraphs? What will the reader do with a book written almost entirely in the passive voice? What kind of effect does an unsympathetic character have on the reader?

After that, you should let all this information flow to the back of your mind and write the story with the rules in your SUBconscious mind as you refine them to suit your own needs. You will then be able to break any rule, knowing the price, knowing whether or not your story has the resources to pay that price, and knowing how to gain more emotional resources.

Simply ignoring the rules and telling the story the way it needs to be told is not meaningful or useful advice since most beginning writers have no idea how the story needs to be told. Very few people are natural storytllers. Even writing and storytelling talent can be improved through practice and technique.

At this point,I've read enough amateur material to know that what beginning writers need is a more careful study of the rules -- not a less careful study.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

You, as a writer, must know the rules before you can know how to break them properly.
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine, you beat me to the punch. So I will just add one comment.

Isaac Luke said:
"Just write what the story naturally demands, in the way the story naturally demands it. Write the story the way the story is best written.

In doing so, you probably will follow a lot of those "rules" and "conventions," because those "rules" and "conventions" are mostly underlying principles of good writing, and will appear without you even realizing it."

You invalidate your own argument by saying this. To echo Christine: You can't follow those rules and conventions "without even realizing it" if they are not in your brain to begin with. You have to put them there. How? By learning about them, discussing them, evaluating your existing work against them, and above all, practicing them. Eventually they work their way into the permanent subconscious.

To succeed at "writ[ing] the story the way the story is best written" without ever learning the "rules" of good writing and "conventions" of what readers will read would be akin to the monkeys at typewriters producing Shakespeare: a very unlikely coincidence.

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited August 23, 2006).]

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valtam2
Member # 3174

- posted      Profile for Valtam2   Email Valtam2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You, as a writer, must know the rules before you can know how to break them properly.

This is probably some of the best advice on writing that I think a new writer can recieve. This is exactly what I was told by my sixth grade english teacher, and it has helped me ever since. If you don't know the rules, or know when the rules can or cannot be broken, writing with your heart will likely churn out a product that you aren't pleased with. When I first started writing, I tended to use a lot of passive voice, and so my writing sounded weak and uninteresting. It's still a nasty habit, but infinitely better than before.

If you don't know the rules, to use a metaphor Stephen King uses in On Writing, you don't know what tools are in your toolbox. You don't know how to use these tools, and I know I wouldn't trust a carpenter who never touched a hammer in his life to make a proper table. Rules, though they can be bent, broken, and twisted to suit your uses, still need to be known, and used. When a writer knows how to use his tools, he (or she) can play with them.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne
Member # 3675

Well, I think Isaac Luke has a point, but I think he has been misinterpreted. I think what he said is don't put the rule first - put the story first. (The "y'all" made me sympatico, thinking I.L. might be one of us good ole boys.)

As I said in my last post, if you don't have the technique you can't make a souffle even with a good recipe. And technique is something you have to learn. Trial and error is one way, if you are immortal. A better, quicker way is to lean on the experience of the 6 or 7 millenia of the written word. I hope to learn from those that have a technique.

Incidentally, I don't see these ideas as rules. "Do this or you are wrong." I see them as techniques. If a lumberjack tells you to always watch for kickback when using a chain saw, that's not really a rule. It's just a way to avoid a too common mistake.

sojoyful
Member # 2997

Wayne said:

quote:
If a lumberjack tells you to always watch for kickback when using a chain saw, that's not really a rule. It's just a way to avoid a too common mistake.

I think that is an excellent analogy.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Watching for kickback is a way to avoid death or serious injury.

I notice that nobody was talking about "rules" at all until some people started saying that we shouldn't get caught up in following "rules". That's all well and good, but it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. "The first paragraph is free" is a statement, not a "rule". Certainly not a rule for writers. Even if we restate it as "the first paragraph should be free," it's a rule for readers (including editors and critics), not for writers.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mitch
Member # 3681

- posted      Profile for Mitch   Email Mitch         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure I read OSC somewhere say it was the first few paragraphs. You can't really make anything of a once-off point of view with just one paragraph. Here's a perfect example where OSC used the first three this way: http://www.hatrack.com/osc/books/efall01.shtml

[This message has been edited by Mitch (edited August 24, 2006).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne
Member # 3675

Thanks, Mitch. An example is worth a thousand words. I think using this technique will solve a major problem for me.
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What Survivor said, about what this all means.

I don't always see a need for paragraph 1 to violate POV. But sometimes there just seems to be no other way to get in the info that's needed for the narrative. I wouldn't want to use it for irrelevant info that wouldn't draw the reader in! But if I need to tell you that it's 2586, we're 25 miles underground on Mars, and MC is a three-headed rebel against invaders from the 5th dimension, that almost *has* to violate POV, because MC is unlikely to be thinking to himself, "Gee, it's 2586, I'm 25 miles underground on Mars..." You can work it in, bit by bit, with the reader forming and discarding images as he gets more info, but why torture him?

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne
Member # 3675

Maybe the "free paragraph" isn't the answer to the problem with my particular story. Maybe you folks can help.

Whenever I post a 13-line beginning for this story, almost everyone says I'm not giving enough information about what's happening, or as Survivor put it "What's hanging over this guy's head." The problem is that what's hanging over this guy's head is a world climate catastrophe, and it needs more explanation than 13 lines. I had hoped to set it up by letting the reader listen in to a status report he is to give.

More importantly, the climate crisis is just a backdrop or a subplot that is a necessary precondition to the main plot, which our hero learns about later. My beginning is intended only to set the scene so that MC can discover the evil Dr. Evil's evil scheme. I find, however, that when I set the scene, I don't set the hook.

My MC really isn't that conflicted yet. He's a little upset about the report he's about to give, but what's really got him upset has everyone else upset, too.

If I move ahead to the point when he discovers the villain's dastardly plans, then I'm still left with the reader not understanding the world crisis. Again, that crisis is the only explantion for the bad guy's plot.

Any suggestions?

sojoyful
Member # 2997

Just to put it to rest, I did a quick search of the writing lessons, and OSC doesn't say the first few paragraphs, just the FIRST paragraph. (Not that I'm saying it can't be done, I'm just clarifying what OSC did say.)

"...the first paragraph is free. That is, the first paragraph of a story does not have to be in the same voice or mood or tone as the rest of the work. The first paragraph is important for setting the scene, for giving vital information that allows what follows to make sense."

http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/lessons/1998-10-29.shtml
Para. beginning "But what is the "opening"?"

http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/lessons/1998-11-17.shtml
Para. beginning "1. The Life Interrupted"

http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/lessons/lesson20.shtml
Para. beginning "The only exception to this is the "key information.""

I know he also talks about it in his books.

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited August 24, 2006).]

Wayne
Member # 3675

Using the "First Paragraph" concept, I am able to set the scene for my little drama with only nine lines. I think those three little paragraphs (oops, I broke the rule) will let me begin the story where my MC has something interesting to share with the reader.

I'm still open to other suggestions, though.

Christine
Member # 1646

Ahhh yes...I'm remembering a bit more now.

I think the real point of the first paragraph is this: If your POV character is a four-headed lizard living under a lake then you should probably just say so in the first paragraph to set the scene and be done with it. This information is likely to come up in POV later on, as this four headed lizard wouldn't think of his heads or his scales or the fact that he lives under a lake as worthy of note.

sojoyful
Member # 2997

Wayne:

This thread might help you: http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/002662.html

There are a lot of good points made in that thread. One of them is that, contrary to popular assumption, you don't have to get at the main plot or subplot in the first 13. Just some kind of tension that is real to the character and brings us in.

Look at Seventh Son. The tension in the beginning is Little Peggy's determination to get all the eggs and her fear of the chicken Bloody Mary. Does that get at the whole huge central plot? Certainly not. But it is "what's hanging over her head" at that moment.

EDIT for a conjunction substitution.

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited August 24, 2006).]

Wayne
Member # 3675

Thanks, sojoyful. I'm checking it out now.
pantros
Member # 3237

While you might think that jumping right into the story like that would work, with a complex problem like the climate, it might be better to start with a smaller conflict - dealing with a small part of the big picture and then later realizing the full extent of the problem.

The characters should be focused on the present and should not have any reason to expand beyong that immediacy during the first bits of the story.

Wayne
Member # 3675

Thanks, Pantros.

The climate problem turns out to be insoluble. The real conflict is caused by a good man's bad reaction to that prognosis.

I'm going to give this a lot more thought before I go any farther, but right now, I'm thinking of setting the scene with a "free paragraph" and immediately going into, not the full blown plot, but MC's discovery of a plot by someone. He'll unravel the full extent of it as the story unfolds.

All comments and criticisms are not only welcome but eagerly sought.

(Edited for time dilation)

[This message has been edited by Wayne (edited August 24, 2006).]

Survivor
Member # 213

You need to see this from the perspective of what's hanging over your POV character's head, not what's hanging over the head of the rest of the world.

This is the heart of POV, to understand your character as a person who has an individual perspective on the various grand events of your story. Yes, he's worried about the larger picture, but he has his own immediate problems. Yes, those problems are part of the larger picture, but right now they're enlarged in his consciousness because he's close to them. We don't call it 'perspective' for nothing. Just as our sense of perspective allows us to understand that an object appears larger because it is closer, so an understanding of perspective allows us to show that an object is closer by making it appear larger.

arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed that many times in published novels authors begin not with the main story arc but with just a little "scene" between the main character and someone (usually a partner). The scene lets the reader get to know the MC a bit before the action begins.

A great example of this is in the novel A GARDEN OF VIPERS by Jack Kerley.

It opens with a vivid description of a rainstorm (setting) and then a little humorous exchange between the MC and his parner (police detectives) sitting in a car waiting out the storm. That done, the radio comes on and sends them to a murder site and the story rolls on.

I bought the book because the MC and his partner sounded like people I might want to hang out with for several hundred pages. I read a little ways and got interested...and bought.

There are lots of techniques for sucking the reader into the story. An intriguing idea. Characters you want to hang out with. And so on.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited August 25, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited August 25, 2006).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

Survivor said:
quote:
Just as our sense of perspective allows us to understand that an object appears larger because it is closer, so an understanding of perspective allows us to show that an object is closer by making it appear larger.

Well put.

Wayne
Member # 3675

Thanks Survivor and arriki. I think I'm beginning to understand what Survivor and wbriggs have been repeating to me in the forum. I'm rethinking the whole beginning - better to do it now than after I've written a few thousand words.

I'm still following all that I can in the forum, and resisting the urge to offer comments and advice on every fragment until I have shown myself that I really do understand what seems to be the central point of this forum - beginnings. That restraint really goes against my nature.

trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
One point: I don't think you only get a "free first paragraph" (or three) in the first chapter. Sometimes you can get away with it at the beginning of more than one. It depends on what your readers are expecting.

For example, my current WIP is supposed to be humorous. (I think it is, anyway.) Many of my chapters open with some clever (I think ) omniscient exposition about the state of the universe or the story. I usually do it when I switch POV (sort of a zoom-in to the character's head), but not always.

I'm not sure in what other kinds of stories this would apply.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have high level of interest prceding it, a chapter can open with information. You need to couch the information in as interesting a way as you can, though.

As I study I notice that every chapter opening is a new opportunity to exercise your creativity. Going through my notebooks full of notes on openings I notice that most of my examples of opening with dialogue happen in interior chapter openings where there is a setting more easily drawn upon.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.