Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » narative contractions

Author Topic: narative contractions
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a tendency when writing to bounce between
"...as if he had been there before..." and

"...as if he'd been there before..."

Is it okay to use contractions in the naration? It can help the flow but I wondered if there was a textbook rule. Also is it bothersome to have a lack of consistancy between using and not using them? In Portugues it's easy because if you can make a contraction you should, but this is trickier for me. Examples, "isn't, didn't, etc."

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The issue's arisen with me with what I'm working on now...the almost-twenty-thousand words of a novel are strictly from one viewpoint. There's no narrator, it's all my character. I figure contractions in dialog are okay...but are they okay outside of it, when I'm writing out what my character is doing or thinking or watching?

I've generally tried to stick to a firm rule: inside dialog, anything goes...outside, don't do it. But, right now, a great number of contractions have wandered in. Do I leave them for now, or deal with them in rewrite---maybe I should just leave them alone.

(I count six contractions in the above two paragraphs. I count that as dialog---my dialog.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
To some extent I think it might depend on how penetrative your POV is.

If you're external, then don't contract.

If you're internal, then do (as long as the character would - some borderline OCD main characters would even think with non-contracted precision).

Similarly, formality is an issue. In a formal narrative style, don't contract; in a casual style, contract.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently got some feedback on a section of my novel suggesting that I SHOULD use them. I don't outside of dialogue (or messae boards ).

Technically, formal rules of writing would dictate not putting them in. BUT...writing fiction has changed a lot over the years. With third person limited omniscient, we now dig into a reader's head where, we can assume, they think with contractions. At this point it becomes a style thing and maybe a sense of dpeth -- are you setting down a character's exact thoughts or interpreting them through a narrator? I tend to think of it as the latter unless I quote a direct thought. Hence, I do not use contractions.

It is clearly all right to use contractions in dialogue and in first person. At this point, as long as you are CONSISTENT, I would not flag it either way in 3PLO.

If you write full omniscient, you better leave them out or the narrative.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree that it is also related to narrative style and the effect you are trying to achieve. For me, I have 2 POV characters: the first is stolid and weighed down by a dark and guilty past, the second is content and carefree and sees the good in everything. When I'm in the first POV, the narrative style is very rigid and formal, so I don't use contractions. In the second POV, I use style such as contractions to give it a much more relaxed, jaunty tone.
Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd read it aloud. If it sounds odd, change it. If it doesn't convey what you're trying to convey, change it. I wouldn't worry about anything else.
Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
contractions are fine in fiction.

In presentation, non-fiction, such as business proposals, contractions should be avoided.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Poet
Member # 3542

- posted      Profile for Dead_Poet           Edit/Delete Post 
As a reader, in the original post, I read them both as contactions. Is that normal, or am I an informal reader?

What I mean is my thought was "As if he'd been there before" for both of them. I had to read it three times before I figured out the difference. So for me, it all reads as contractions. For most readers, how ever...?

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on the contraction. Read it aloud and hear how it sounds.

If a contraction is very common, then avoiding it lends emphasis to the word that would have been contracted. I would tend to read "...as if he had been there before..." as
"...as if he had been there before..."...well, not quite. I would regard "he had" as being a little different from "he had", but closer to it than to "he'd".

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Examples, "isn't, didn't, etc."

Don't you mean "et'c."?

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In presentation, non-fiction, such as business proposals, contractions should be avoided.

Even this is changing. Of course, it depends on the specific business.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
WHY on Earth would contractions be bad anywhere? What possible harm could they do? This is a "rule" I've never understood.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
They're not bad; they're informal. Sometimes formality is more appropriate, that's all.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Survivor has nailed it on the head. It depends on what you are trying to convey. Often contractions are fine, sometimes they will get in the way.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AaronAndy
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for AaronAndy   Email AaronAndy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In Portugues it's easy because if you can make a contraction you should, but this is trickier for me.

Melhor solução: escreva o livro em português.

[This message has been edited by AaronAndy (edited August 24, 2006).]

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
rsrs...legal, mas nao posso escrever portugues aqui. My keyboard is English and I am stronger with English. Temos otros brasileiros aqui?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Akin to what tchernabyelo said, the narrative is a very important part of the characterization of your POV character. The narrative should be in that character's voice and reflect how that character thinks, because that's the head you are getting inside. Sometimes that needs contractions, other times, contractions would ruin it. The good thing about that is, as the author, you get to decide.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne
Member # 3675

- posted      Profile for Wayne   Email Wayne         Edit/Delete Post 
If this question deviates from the subject of this string, please just ignore it. What about quotation marks when you are quoting exactly what a character is thinking?

"Don't do it," he thought - is the way I've always done it, but I've recently seen a post where the quotations were left off in a similar situation.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scribbler
Member # 3743

- posted      Profile for Scribbler   Email Scribbler         Edit/Delete Post 
In response to the quoting thought thing...

I prefer to use italics (any thoughts on italic use in fiction?) or to leave it unitalicized and unquoted or to just paraphrase thoughts. Quotations of speech-sounding phrases set me up for vocal communication, and I get surprised when I get to the end and see "he thought" instead of "he said."

Although since it is a direct quote, I can see the argument for quotation marks. That's just my personal reaction.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Thoughts should be italicized unless the voice of your narrative is established to allow for regular use of the PoV's thoughts as part of the narrative.

If its unusual, italicize it. And it's usually unusual.

In the usual distance of the most common narrative voices, thoughts would be italized. There are some narrative voices that are more familiar, more conversational that will allow for thoughts to be part of the regular narrative without special treatment.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

quote:
What about quotation marks when you are quoting exactly what a character is thinking?

Spaceman pondered how to answer this question. It was a habit he broke many years ago, along with italicizing. The first thought that came into his head might be considered rude. Tired of everyone misinterpreting whatever he said, he pondered another way to explain the concept. Perhaps an example was in order. Yes, demonstrate getting into the character's head and sharing the character's thoughts. That might help a few fellow Hatrackers. "No, quotes are not necessary for thoughts," he said.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Note, everyone, how the above post leads into literal thoughts. It starts with somewhat distant description of Spaceman's thoughts, then becomes closer. "Perhaps an example was in order" was almost direct thought, but remains a bit outside; you can tell because it's in past tense. The two sentences after it might have been italicized by many writers. Were italics needed here? Nope. And certainly not quotes.

If he'd concluded with the thought, "I really hope so," however, it would have been trickier. Still no quotes, but I can see the point of those who would like such a line to be italicized. Card doesn't do it, and many other fine and respected writers don't (no, of course I don't ), but many fine and respected writers do.

But not quotes. Reserve those for speech.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Interesting analysis. I didn't even realize I was moving closer until you pointed it out.

And for me, I wouldn't have said 'I hope so.' I would have repharased the previous line to say 'Hopefully, it will help ...'

Avoid using first person in a third person story.

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited August 28, 2006).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.