Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Book Proposals

Author Topic: Book Proposals
Charli
Member # 3699

- posted      Profile for Charli   Email Charli         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the process of both writing my book, and also my book proposal. After doing lots of research, I am stumped on how to start my "author's platform."

My book is non-fiction with a market to Adult ADHD (attention deficit) people. It is a book of essays written first person. The literary agent interested has requested a book proposal.

From my research it seems the platform is a very critical area. One article stated the author needs to establish some type of "following" before submitting proposal. The author mentioned beginning public speaking, etc... to get your name "out there."

Any ideas on what I could do to begin this process to attract readers interested in ADHD?

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
As a (proud!) member of the Adult ADHD community, I have done a decent amount of reading and am always watching for new information to be published. I tend to be pretty picky about what I choose to read (even more so about what I will buy), because I find that a large percentage of what's out there is just people either rehashing the same old stuff or publishing wild new theories in an attempt to jump on the bandwagon of this "fad diagnosis" (hear the bitter sarcasm from someone who knows it is most definitely not a fad). That is certainly not an assessment of your work (which I haven't yet seen), just an explanation of my habits as a reader.

I'd be happy to offer what input I can, so feel free to email me at katie AT sojoyful DOT com if you have specific questions. Be sure to put the word 'Hatrack' somewhere in the subject so it doesn't get spamified.

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited August 23, 2006).]

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Your "platform" is explaining where you stand on the issue and how that will influence the information in the book. Briefly describe your stance and the books stance on the issue at hand.

As far as a following, etc, what you are really looking for is a list of solid credentials that establish that you are the right person to write the book. (Your Degree, your research, the credentials of your sources all contribute to your credibility and thus your investability by the book publisher.)

Just for my own curiousity, who wrote the first person essays and did you contract publication rights from them? If you wrote them all yourself, pay particular attention to my previous paragraph.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charli
Member # 3699

Yes, I wrote the personal essays. I am a mother of two diagnosed ADHD sons with a third son showing all signs. I, too, have been diagnosed, which explains to me why all the "things" as I am writing in my essays, happen to me all the time.

Writing the book is therapeutic for me, with the hopes that it will bring comfort to others. Monetary gain will also not be dismissed if it ever comes to that.

The article I read on book proposals today suggested taking one year and developing a platform. It suggested getting some public speaking engagements and making yourself known in your area. I think this is very good advice, I just need some guidance on how to do this.

I have done some public speaking, but more in the area of my current career field, "recruiter" or affectionately known as a "head hunter."

I have thought about scheduling free talks at local libraries, but would hate to do this, only to have very little attendance. (I think this would embarrass me.)

Thanks for your help and advice.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I kept trying to read this thread, but my attention kept
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charli
Member # 3699

Chris:

May you be blessed in all your future relationships with all ADHD people.

goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you could start by trying to publish a couple of essays in magazine or ezine markets. This could go a long way toward establishing you as an expert.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MollieBryn
Member # 3728

- posted      Profile for MollieBryn   Email MollieBryn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be a brilliant idea to schedule talks at local libraries. If you have enough advertising, you will definitely attract a good-sized group. Also, I know in our local paper we have a writer who focuses purely on human-interest stories from the community. It might be advantageous to see if there is one in your paper and then send him/her a brief synopsis of what you are trying to accomplish. You can also stress the point that this is a serious issue that could potentially attract a lot of readers, thereby putting the idea into the writer's head that an article written on the subject (especially by him/her) will be read and the writer can gain some serious credibility. (If all else fails, appeal to vanity, right?) If you don't have a writer that focuses specifically on your local news, see if you can get a bunch of friends and those with Adult ADHD to send letters to the editor about what a great thing your talk would be. If all else fails beyond that, take out a huge ad in the classified section and run it for a few days before you're scheduled to speak. Chances are it will attract at least a few interested parties/affliction sufferers.
And as a personal note, please don't be afraid to speak just because there may not be a large audience. You'll never know who you can inspire or help from saying something important. You could be encouraging someone who thought there was no hope and no way to deal with Adult ADHD; you just may be a symbol of victory.
I sincerely hope you do this. I think it would be wonderful.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.