Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » silly technical question

Author Topic: silly technical question
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I ordered manuscript boxes from Papyrus in Louisville KY - I need the oversized box that's for stories over 500 pages long. Mine's 600+ double-spaced pages (115,000 words). Every book or article I've read on submitting says something about putting the box inside a mailing bag. One book goes so far as to stipulate "only five staples" to close the mailing bag. The store doesn't have bags big enough for this box. So is a mailing bag really "required" and if so, do you know where I can get BIG ones?? I don't see why a sturdy box should have a cover, but that book that said "five staples" emphasized making the package easy to open. I can see taping the box shut for mailng - is that gonna be a problem on the other end? Silly question, but I'm trying to do everything as "right" as I can to avoid looking like an ignorant newbie and hopefully get my foot (and book!) in the door with a highly professional presentation.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help you figure out the bizarre specifications of any particular publisher, but I do know you can get quality shipping materials from a company called Uline.com. I've ordered from them in the past and they are fast, have a wide variety of boxes and bags in stock, and are reasonably priced.

You might have to buy a minimum quantity, but you can always use the leftovers to ship holiday gifts.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
How big is the box---what are its dimensions? I can't imagine not being able to find a mailing bag or manila envelope that wouldn't be able to go over something the right size to hold six hundred pages of manuscript. (I used old typing paper boxes---but I guess those are less common these days of cheap paper from office supply superstores.)

Don't staple at all---seal. If whoever opens it gets stabbed by one of your staples, it won't predispose them to be favorable. Besides, you might injure a postal worker like myself.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Another place to buy boxes the correct size to hold manuscripts would be to pay a visit to your friendly, local neighborhood printer. Print shops usually print letterhead for businesses and package it in boxes. The trick is to find the printshops who use the heavy-duty letterhead boxes instead of the cheapo flimsy ones.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you really at the full manuscript submission stage? I thought at the beginning you try to get an agent or send a smaller packet.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.