Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » When is a personalized reject personalized?

Author Topic: When is a personalized reject personalized?
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
This may sound like a silly question, but I've gotten lots of rejects. I recognize most standard rejects right away but sometimes I have trouble knowing if some of the "softer" rejects are personalized.
This may not sound like very important, but if the mail says "they look forward to seeing more of my work" do they mean it? Should I really bombard that publication with stuff after they've rejected 5 different stories or should I stop bothering them?
If a reject contains an adjective about my writing does that mean it's personalized? Or are they just trying not to hurt my feelings?

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I call it personalized if someone used an ink pen on it. Provided the written message is not "you suck and I wish you were dead," I consider this to be better than just a form.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Most editors are overwhelmed with stories. If they ask to see more of your work, then they most certainly mean it. Otherwise, it varies.

Some editors have forms with varying adjectives depending on a personal scale of values (I'm thinking of Lone Star Stories, but there are surely others). Some editors also send systematic feedback (Clarkesworld). But mostly, if they comment specifically on your story, it means you're getting somewhere.

There are markets to which I've sent about 10 stories and still not made a sale. I still go on submitting. That they reject you just means your story wasn't right for them at this time. It can happen several times in a row (and is more probable than acceptance ), and it's not a mark of "your writing sucks", or "you're totally unsuitable for us". Or they wouldn't take the time with your stories.

BTW, did you have a specific example in mind, or was it just a general question?

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Editors only say that they hope to see more of your work when they mean it. They only say it to writers whose work is close, and whose name they have seen enough times to make them hope, each time they see it in the return address space of the envelope, that maybe THIS will be the one they can buy.

When they say that they hope to see more of your work, they have started "pulling for" you. They actually do hope that something you send them will be something they can use.

So PLEASE, don't quit sending them stuff, just try to make sure it is the best you can possibly make it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Something like this:
quote:
I like your writing "voice" and the
story was readable, however

or this

quote:
This was cute, and an "almost."

But not necessarily this:

quote:
Thank you again, and we hope to hear from you in the future.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, nobody wants to tell the next Stephen King "You have no obvious writing talent," even if no talent is evident in the submitted story. Take the compliment, if one is offered, but take anything said with a grain of salt. And don't get discoruaged.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everybody.
The "form letter with adjectives" post got me thinking. It would make sense for a magazine to have slightly nicer rejection slips for those stories that were close but which they don't have the time to crit in detail. I'd do it if I were an editor, besides, personal crits probably get them pen-friends, something no editor wants.
Another question: if you get a very nice personalized reject do you write them an email saying "Thanks!" or do you just keep mum so as not to bog down their inboxes?

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tlmorganfield
Member # 3461

- posted      Profile for tlmorganfield           Edit/Delete Post 
I generally wait until I sent that same editor my next story then I mention my appreciation for their comments in the coverletter, either right up front (especially if they specifically asked to see more of your work) or as a PS. After all, you want them to feel warm and fuzzy about you when they actually have a story of yours in hand.
Posts: 13 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

tlmorganfield: never thought of that, I guess that's a good way to say "thank you" to someone who went to the trouble of telling you why they didn't want your story.
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd thought of that, but for some reason I feel embarrassed about doing it until I feel I know the editor (translate by "be rejected a couple more times"). Which is probably very silly, and I should change that habit on the spot.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you should definitely thank an editor for his/her personal comments on your story. It's only professional. And it's basic courtesy on a non-professional level. An editor takes time out of a very busy schedule to give you tips on your writing, you at least owe them a thanks. I would definitely wait until you resubmit to tell them, though. Sending a seperate letter just clutters up an already full mailbox.

[This message has been edited by wetwilly (edited September 14, 2006).]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bumping this up because I have a question on sending a "thank you" response to an editor.

There's a story that just came back from its last submission with a very nice, personalized rejection and I want to thank the editor for the kind words and the time he spent writing them.

According to the advice in this thread, I should thank the editor the next time I submit. However, that submission was it. I have no intention of submitting anything else for a couple of years at least.

So, considering how nice this rejection was (I'm going to print it out and stick it among my writerly things), and considering that's it for quite some time, should I go ahead and send a thank you email to an already stuffed inbox? Or should I expect the editor to remember me in a few years when I'm able to submit stories again?

I also apologize in advance for popping in here only to ask this question.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
Keeley, if you would really like to thank the editor, do.
Everyone likes to be appreciated.
Be kind, and brief.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. Thanks, Alethea.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What Alethea said, Keeley. Your thanks will mean a lot more coming so soon after the rejection than it will two or three years down the road.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to mention that, while you don't have anything ready to submit at this time, you'll definitely submit your next suitable story to that market because of the helpful response. There's no harm in keeping it at a professional level, after all.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.