Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Stephen King is a real son of a ....

Author Topic: Stephen King is a real son of a ....
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
...okay, maybe I overreact. But I just finished the Dark Tower series and the ending has me, shall I say, just a tad vexed.

Don't get me wrong -- I think it is the right ending and don't see anything else that would "fit" better than this ending.

Nevertheless...grrrr!!!! I can't say much without giving away a spoiler, but those who have read it surely can feel my pain.

Just had to vent, sorry. I know it's been a LONG time since I've posted here regularly (new job -- GREAT job -- but it keeps me VERY busy). After finishing that last book, though, I just had to blow off some steam somewhere. And who better than you folks to vent to?

Z

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
He lost me with Wizard and Glass. Book 3 seemed to be leading up to somewhere with Blane, only for it to be pretty easy to stop the train by punching it, and the book of riddles useless. Then at the end, the Oz parody--ridiculous. And in between, that long flashback. Just an excuse of showing Roland vent his lusts.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited September 14, 2006).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about halfway through the first book.

Its okay, but I can put it aside to read something else quite easily. Didn't really care for the lengthy flashback to Roland's childhood. Pulled me too far out of the story. King's writting is otherwise clean and impeccable as far as his descriptions go though and it is an easy and quick read.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Been thinking of picking it up now that it's complete. I read the scattered parts that eventually made up Vol. 1 when they were published in F & SF all those years ago...then, much more recently, I picked up and read the "revised" Vol. 1 in paperback. I just don't like being left hanging around for multiple volumes---if they're connected, they should say whatever they should have to say in one volume, and let sequels say more or something else...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
Beginning with "The Drawing of Three" (second book) it takes on a very different feel and tone. Some if it I loved, some of it I could care less for. And just to show how different we are:

My favorite books in the series were "Wizard and Glass" and "The Wolves of the Calla". The latter also being the longest book.

But love it or hate it, you got to admit that first line was one of the cleanest, most efficient opening lines in print today.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the books as they were published (in time) so for me the whole story never never really sunk in as a unified whole. On my list of things to do is to sit down with all of them and gain that perspective. There were some things that realy didn't appeal much to me. I was more interested in the story of Roland prior to the beginning of the Gunslinger then all the time travel/universe-hopping, and overall I was somewhat disappointed, although the journey often fascinated me.
Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah. When King did "The Green Mile" in serial book form, I waited until it was complete before I bought all of them and then read them. Six separate volumes sure made it easy to not look in the back of the book for the resolutions...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jammrock
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Jammrock   Email Jammrock         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it through Wizard and Glass (book 4), which I thought was a fantastic book if not just for the storytelling aspect. Book five started very boring but got good at the end. Book 6 is where King lost me, and I never made it through 7. I ended up reading spoilers, which were better than the book, and called it a series.
Posts: 136 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spider
Member # 3349

- posted      Profile for Spider           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved book 2 & 3. The fact that the main characters were always near the edge of the clearing for most of those books enthralled me, and kept me skimming and skipping past all the slow and useless parts (mostly the beggining of the Detta arc).

The rest of the books were alright, if a little dull and/or dissapointing.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.