Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Too good to be true?

Author Topic: Too good to be true?
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060913/ap_on_en_ot/books_new_prize

The parts that seem particularly suspicious are the prizes (25K seems like a lot of money for second place), the $85 entry fee, and that although up to 50,000 manuscript will be accepted, "not a single writer will face silent rejection"

I'm wary, but then, I'm wary of most things; I can't decide if I'm being cautious or just paranoid.

Tell me what you think....(of the contest, not my paranoia. )

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll let you read what Miss Snark thinks: http://misssnark.blogspot.com/2006/09/sobol-prize-is-still-crock-of-shit.html

She's posted about this contest before, back in July, and I think there is a link in the comments trail.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tlmorganfield
Member # 3461

- posted      Profile for tlmorganfield           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what Victoria Stauss of Writer Beware has to say about the contest:

http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2006/09/victoria-strauss-sobol-award.html

The comments trail is interesting as well. My general impression is that you're probably better off to avoid the contest and save your $85.

[This message has been edited by tlmorganfield (edited September 14, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by tlmorganfield (edited September 14, 2006).]

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, TL, I'm getting a 'URL Not Found' message for your link, though I'm sure she says good stuff.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I need a good user name
Member # 3812

- posted      Profile for I need a good user name   Email I need a good user name         Edit/Delete Post 
General rule of thumb: if there's a submission fee, forget about it. Probably, it's a trap, and if you fall in you'll probably see the manuscript you worked so hard on get "EBaumed."
Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, good thing I live in Maryland.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tlmorganfield
Member # 3461

- posted      Profile for tlmorganfield           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads-up, autumnmuse. Turns out I had a period at the end of it. It's fixed now.
Posts: 13 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
I checked out Gur Shomron's book, NETfold, on Amazon. Of 13 reviewers (all "*****! GREAT BOOK!", of course), only ONE has reviewed anything else, and he also gave that one five stars...

Either his book makes people want to review it on Amazon, or Gur has gotten friends or employees to review it favorably for him. I don't know exactly what that says about whether he's trustworthy, but it does smell a bit.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if getting written up in USA Today means it's legit, then it's legit. But the eighty-five dollar entry fee is offputting...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's do the math.

50,000 entries "maximum" (why is there a maximum number of entries? My guess - to encourage people to get in quick before it "fills up"), at $85 each, comes to $4,250,000.

I think there's only one person who stands any chance of making money out of this.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.