Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How can I tell if I'm in the wrong medium alltogether?

Author Topic: How can I tell if I'm in the wrong medium alltogether?
I need a good user name
Member # 3812

- posted      Profile for I need a good user name   Email I need a good user name         Edit/Delete Post 
After engaging in some of the discussions here, and struggling with my first entries into the Fragments and Feedback forum, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm in the wrong medium alltogether - if maybe, say, movie scriptwriting/production should be more of my thing. How can I tell? Is it too late to get out of this and go towards that direction? Is it worth it?
Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 

Have you considered writing a movie and seeing how you like it? Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
What Beth said, but also:

Like anything, the skills we share with one another here take time to develop. Don't be so hard on yourself so quickly. Give yourself time to practice and improve these skills.

If these skills came naturally, you'd already be a famous published author. Take courage that you're in the same boat as the rest of us - it rarely comes naturally to anyone.

EDIT to add: If it helps, my first entries in F&F stunk. What I learned from those was teeny, but what I learned from reviewing other fragments was huge. The advice given so many times around here is true: you will learn a great deal more by critiquing other people's work than by posting your own.

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited September 16, 2006).]

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
You should be in the medium that you like writing the most. Either way you're going to have to put in your time learning the craft, so just pick the one you want to write the most.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How can I tell?

There is a lot of truth in the old adage: "Follow Your Bliss."
Ask yourself: Does it give me joy?

Go the direction where you feel the most satisfaction. And remember, you can always make new choices every single day. The time you spend here is not wasted; the skills you learn will come in useful no matter which path your creative muses lead you.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Try everything, then see what works best. Youll be a better sci-fi writer if youve been a failed poet, artist, script-writer first. After youre a great writer youll discover that your real talent is graffity. Thats the way it works. Try everything

[This message has been edited by Sara Genge (edited September 17, 2006).]

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't let the criticisms get you down. Go with what you enjoy doing. If you enjoy what you are writing keep doing it. If you don't, then give something different a try. If getting hammered over there for your first 13 lines is the only thing you don't like about what your doing, just do your best to address what seems to be getting the most attention but keep on going.

I believe it was David Gerrold (could have been OSC) who said a writer's first million words are "wasted" (meaning that's how much work it takes to get skilled at the craft). It took four tries before Stephen King sold a novel, etc.

I quit writing for almost a half year because I got really frustrated over getting relatively little encouraging feedback, which convinced me that whatever aptitude I have lies elsewhere. To make a long story short, I now wish I had that 6 months back.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cll
Member # 3673

- posted      Profile for cll   Email cll         Edit/Delete Post 
Favorite Quote:

"...From the ashes of your ego will rise something more perfect and surprising."
- Christopher White, President/Editor in Chief Rager Media

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've wondered. I started out writing science fiction because that's what I read and loved to read...but now I wonder.

(1) After thirty-one years and minimal success, I have a deep-set wonder in my mind, wondering if it was the right choice.

(2) For years now I haven't read a hundredth the amount of science fiction I used to back then, so why should I be writing it?

It still seems to be what I want to write...or is it just inertia? And if I still want to write something, what? I've thought of writing a lot of other things (straight non-fiction history seems to be on the top of that list right now), but I still don't know... (At any rate, my latest SF novel attempt passed forty thousand words, so all is well---I hope.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert

why don't you let your subconscious tell you what you want to write? come join us at LH for a flash or two. when you're faced with a trigger and a deadline, the words just pour out and they're not necessarily the genre you thought you'd write. Many people are surprised with what comes out in a challenge like that; it seems to tap something deep inside. we don't restrict ourselves to any one genre.

What do you have to lose?

Mike

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe it was David Gerrold (could have been OSC) who said a writer's first million words are "wasted" (meaning that's how much work it takes to get skilled at the craft).

I'm pretty sure it was not OSC, or if it was he must have been counting all his schoolwork since he was a little boy, since he has never written a novel before selling it. Of course, he was a well know short story author before then, as well as a playwright. I don't know, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he has personally debunked that statement. It maybe be over on the OSC discussion forum.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was Ray Bradbury. He is also supposed to have claimed to have burned his first million words because they were worthless.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm pretty sure it was not OSC, or if it was he must have been counting all his schoolwork since he was a little boy, since he has never written a novel before selling it.
Whether he sold it beforehand or not doesn't matter. When he finally sat down to write it, how many words did he actually write vs. the ones that made it into the final cut?

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually he told me that he's sold most of what he's ever written, including short stories. There are a couple early ones, and after he sold the novella Ender's Game he wrote two shorts that didn't sell, but then he sold the third one and almost everything he's written since then has sold.

Now, he did write plays before he ever tried his hand at science fiction, but I believe that most if not all of his thespian endeavors were performed at least once, even if only for his church or school.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
David Gerrold, in _Worlds of Wonder: How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy_, said the first million words you write are just practice. This advice has been reiterated in several other books on writing I've read.

At the rate I'm going, it will take me ten years to write a million words. I figure, if after ten years I still haven't improved, then I'll decide it's not for me, throw in the towel, give up. (Um, yeah, about that...my happiness is directly dependant upon how well my writing is going. I don't think I'll be giving it up any time soon.)

But still and all, I can say that all stories I've written so far were crappy, but were worth doing because I learned from them. Maybe the next one will also be more practice, but that's okay. As long as there are more stories I want to read, I will write them, and grow as a writer.

And never be afraid to try new things. Summer Glau thought she'd be a dancer all her life, until she got injured and turned to acting. Good thing she did, because I loved her as River Tam!

I also have tried my hand at many different kinds of storytelling. In my mountain of papers and notebooks, I have scattered fragments of poems, plays, scripts, articles, and a graphic novel. I decided that I liked writing prose best (even if I'm not all that great at it.) But I know that no matter what I am creating, no matter what it is worth in the end, I am happiest with a pen in my hand and paper before me, slowly being filled with the images from my head, whatever they may be.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it was Ray Bradbury. He is also supposed to have claimed to have burned his first million words because they were worthless.

Ah, but he also waited until he had published quite a bit before torching his early work. I don't think I could do that. However much I acknowledge that all I wrote before 1990 is bad, I couldn't bring myself to free up my file space and dump it all. (I wouldn't say no to a natural disaster wiping it all out.)

On flash challengers: I'm not saying no to that...but right now, my (probably SF) novel is just flowing along. Maybe it's just a late-blooming case of literary elephantitis, but I want to concentrate on it exclusively until I hit a rough patch and grind to a halt, or until I reach the finish line. I'll reconsider visiting LH then: it sounds like a blast.

On the notion of taking one's early work and selling it after one "connects": I'm mostly against it. A bunch of writers have done it. Probably the most egregious example is Piers Anthony, who, I gather, got a lot of his previously-written but rejected-and-unpuglished novels into print after he connected big-time with the Xanth series. I heard Stephen King, after fame (and Carrie) brought a market like F & SF to ask him for something, he'd hand them a much-rejected MS written before-he-was-famous and watch them ooh-and-aah over it.

Seems like sharp practice to me. Some good stuff might be buried this way, but I don't know. I could see making substantial revisions to earlier work, or rewriting the idea from scratch, but seems to me forcing this kind of work on someone would earn a lot of ill will and give potential readers a possible turn-off.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
In On Writing, Stephen King admits that he re-submitted a story to F&SF after it had been rejected. However, he still believed the story was good, it hadn't been shopped around ad nauseum, and the editor had changed in the interim. Do all of those things mean he DIDN'T sell it on the strength of his name? I don't know. But I think it's a little bit of a different situation to what you were implying, Robert.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LPMcGill
Member # 3923

- posted      Profile for LPMcGill   Email LPMcGill         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be OSC you're refering to. I don't remember the exact quote, but he said that all writers have (insert number) pages of drivel in them, or something to that effect.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
In On Writing, Stephen King admits that he re-submitted a story to F&SF after it had been rejected. However, he still believed the story was good, it hadn't been shopped around ad nauseum, and the editor had changed in the interim. Do all of those things mean he DIDN'T sell it on the strength of his name? I don't know. But I think it's a little bit of a different situation to what you were implying, Robert.

I'd like to hope he didn't---but the first story he sold them didn't strike me as anything special, though I recall few details (something about a circus, I think, but I wouldn't swear to that for sure---it's not in front of me right now). I don't think it's in any of his collections, either. (It may very well be the first thing of his I ever read, come to think of it.)

The "Dark Tower" series seems to have had its origins in something perhaps-previously-rejected. Seems the tone (and perhaps the auctorial skill in handling things) changed sharply after Volume One, whose segments were first published in F & SF.

I know if I had something I liked I'd likely send it out again if it had a chance of being published. But there are over a hundred stories (and several novels) that I wouldn't send out again, except maybe for their curio value ("Hey! Look here at the first things I wrote!")

And, I realize, my favorite Neil Diamond song / recording (right now) is a demo version he did a couple of years before he had chart success. (It's on a career-retrospective CD set.) No, there's nothing wrong with dragging up your early work---if it's good enough to compare to what you're doing now.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.