Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Avoiding cliche (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Avoiding cliche
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I find it intriguing that new writers tend to write clichéd openings; yet, since the vast majority of novels accepted for publication don’t USE cliché, how was the new writer supposed to know the opening was cliché?

Thanks to Snoopy writing his novel on top of his doghouse, we all know the opening “It was a dark and stormy night,” is cliché. But how many novels have you read that actually begin that way? Take the example of the MC waking up as an opener to a story. I confess ... (Forgive me, for I have sinned...) that when I first started writing my WIP several years ago, it began with the MC waking up. Since I’d never read other people’s unpublished stories before I joined Hatrack, how was I to know that opener was so common that it would make more experienced writers (and future agents) groan “Not another one!”? I thought it was a fresh approach, particularly since I’d never read it in a published novel. Now I am simply amazed by the sheer percentage of beginning writers who use an awakening to open a story. Who woulda thunk it? And why do new writers tend to gravitate toward that particular opener? It’s a mystery to me.

The Donald Maass Literary Agency has a list of 10 Secrets for Dazzling Query Letters (written by Rachel Vater), posted online. Vater says the agency receives about 350 queries a week. They request one or two manuscripts per week. Vater gives a list of clichés that automatically kill the opening of a novel. The list covers a large percentage of what we see submitted in the F&F section.
http://www.maassagency.com/QueryLetterSecrets.html

So, my question in all this is: what is it the writer is trying to accomplish by using a cliché opening, and what other approaches might work better? In my own writing I find myself asking “Why is this scene here?” As a fantasy writer, I’m conscious of how easy it is to fall into the formulaic rut of cliché -- and as a critic, I recognize how often other writers fall into that trap.

The genré of Sci-Fi and Fantasy is rife with predictable, clichéd plotlines. We love the genré because we have come to expect certain elements in SF&F fiction, but still, we crave originality.

I just thought I’d toss this comment out for discussion, to see what other people think of this paradox.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Nine Princes In Amber, the opening book to my favorite series of all time, begins which the character waking up in a hospital room and--he has amnesia.

Come to think of it, television and movies are full of cliches. Even the best of the best have quite a few. How does that arena of storytelling, which comes to think of it begins with a written script, get away with it?

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited September 17, 2006).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Avoid anything you've seen on TV.
As for novels, if you're copying someone (obviously this doesn't include copywrite violations) and you know who you're copying, you're probably OK, as long as your work isn't littered with this kind of thing. If you can't remember where you got that from and the idea feels like a memory, not something you dredged up yourself, it's probably cliche, invented by Ovid or Prometheus and not worth your time.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hit 'clear fields' instead of submit... grrrrr

Okay to repeat.

Hi Elan,

I think many new writers fall into this trap when they are trying to find a solutions to common writing problems. Problems like portraying character's appearance or setting or mood etc. They look at the problem and see the first and most obvious solution, and it seems to work. But because these problems are common to all writers, the obvious solutions have been used so often as to become hackneyed. Because the solution seems to work the new writer doesn't always realise the need to delve a little deeper and find other, different ways to solve these common problems. The first solution to suggest itself seems like the only solution.

All writers need clichés (common solutions to common problems) pointed out.
What they do about it is up to them.

It's not a criticism from me. I have done it often enough. But when you see someone doing it you tend to think Okay, this is a new or inexperienced writer.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 17, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Elan, may I add something to your questions? Since there are no new stories, only new ways of telling old stories, what is the difference between a cliché and a new telling of one of those old stories? Where is the line drawn? What makes the difference?
Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Ancient , archetypal plotlines are not the same as a cliché.
Rather, these plotines are a sequence of problems for a writer.
How does MC go from point A to B to C and eventually get to Z?

The danger of producing clichés lies in the formulation of 'solutions' to those problems.
My advice, for what it's worth: Avoid opting for the first and most obvious solution.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 17, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
A cliche is when you do something lots of people have already done.

You avoid cliches by doing something that only you would do, or you do it in a way that only you would do.

A cliche is when you use an idea (or write a scene, or create a simile or metaphor) in a way similar to the way lots of other people have used it.

You avoid being cliche with ideas, scenes, similes and metaphors by coming up with combinations that no one else has come up with before.

Sure there is a lot we all have in common, but each of our lives is very different taken all together. The combinations of things in our lives are what make them different from the combinations of things in others' lives.

So you avoid cliches by coming up with new combinations of the same old ideas and by using them in new ways.

Many of our figure of speech cliches were fresh and new when Shakespeare came up with them in the first place. That was part of his genius. Of course, we aren't geniuses like him, so we won't come up with anywhere near as many fresh and new figures of speech as he did, but we can come up with a few if we try hard enough.

OSC advises people to throw out the first idea of how to do something, because everyone else has probably come up with that idea, too. Then throw out the second idea and the third, because there are still quite a few people who probably will think of those as well. The fourth idea may be something you can actually work with because it may be something no one else has come up with (or at least very few people). And if you can come up with a fifth idea, that might be even better.

Avoid cliches by continuing to think about what you are doing, by asking more and more questions of your material, until you get answers that are different from what most of the rest of the people out there might get.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

That's what I meant but didn't say very well.

trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Some cliches come from writers projecting onto their characters. The archetypal example of this is not just waking up, but waking in a white room. (You may or may not be surprised how often this happens.) It usually comes from the writer not having thought up the milieu yet. It's easy, and it seems it'll evoke a sense of mystery, so the writer takes it and runs with it.

I caught myself doing a variation of this a few weeks ago. My character wandered outside in a new environment, and the first thing that popped into my head was a barren plain. Yep, says I, that means I haven't put anything on it yet. So I put stuff on it, and it became a much more interesting place.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
A plain dotted with heroin addicts?
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

No, a plain dotted with Philistines.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, they were albino rednecks. But thanks for playing.
Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1655

- posted      Profile for Avatar300           Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say what Hoptoad and Kathleen have already said. So I'll just second them.

Now I can't help but wonder if my answer has become cliche.

[This message has been edited by Avatar300 (edited September 18, 2006).]

Posts: 78 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

Wondering whether what you said was cliche is so 1997.

It turns out that pointing out that someone used a cliche from the 1990s is the new wondering whether what you said was cliche. Black in, pink out. Bucklers for belt buckles in, suspenders out. Alternative WWII histories with aliens in, dystopian futures out. Humanity eschews cybernetics in, jack-in-the-head out.

Some cliches are a product of the times. Some are timeless. Some never get old, like chickens wearing chaps. That's as funny as it was in 1997.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
If you think something you've written is cliched...it probably is, and you should contemplate rewriting to avoid it.

But, on the other hand, there is "nothing new under the sun," and you should think of things less as "cliches" and more "your personal take on familiar themes."

Either way, you've got to work for it.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
The novel began "It was a dark and stormy night", but it didn't stop Madeleine L'Engle from winning the Newbury Award for A Wrinkle in Time.

Cliches are like hot pepper -- they can spice up a book, or they can make it taste like dirt...but most people are smart to avoid them. An editor wants to read a unique story, not one that reminds her of something she can't quite put her finger on.

Raven-black hair. Blood that tastes like copper. If he died "while he was cleaning his gun", there was indubitably foul play. Be careful of things that make TOO much sense. Choose a little obscurity. Add a dash of poetry. Tell a different story. It's why you're a writer to begin with, isn't it?

Some cliches can also be personal vices -- I know a writer whose skies are always bruise-purple, whose grace is more often than not preternatural, and who likes to have characters who spit. A lot.

But that's not going to stop me from marrying him.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Congratu-oops.

Hang on...

I hope this poor man knows about his impending wedding otherwise it's a scene from Misery.

wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should list he cliches we've run across that bug us, since, as Elan pointed out, we might not know when something is cliche.

Already listed, we have:

-Opening with MC waking up.
-White rooms (or barren plains or other forms of uncreated setting)
-Raven-black hair
-Blood that tastes like copper
-Died while he was cleaning his gun, actually foul play

I'll add my own:
-"Hair cropped brutally short," especially on military commanders

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

A character scrutinising their appearance in a mirror... thinly veiled attempt to show the reader what the MC looks like.

That one's on Elan's link above... and it is a classic.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 18, 2006).]

Elan
Member # 2442

My original post has the link to Rachel Vater's list of clichéd openings. The point she keeps coming back to is that most cliché openings have no tension in them. A passive character sitting around, passively looking at their surroundings or themselves in a mirror, or waking up from a dream (even if it was a nightmare, the MC is still just laying there reminiscing). It's deadly to bore the reader.

Elan
Member # 2442

quote:
-Blood that tastes like copper

Hmmm... are we talking about Vulcans? Human blood should have an iron tang to it.

sojoyful
Member # 2997

Ms. Vater's list includes characters in transit (in a car, a plane, etc.). I'm not so sure about that one, though. If they're just sitting there thinking, that's one thing, but if something happens along the way, that's another. Hmmm...

I don't like openings with characters searching in a fog or a mist or the dark of night where they can't see two inches in front of their face. I think that's just an outdoor manifestation of the white room. (Just a disclaimer: there are a few fragments in F&F that start this way, but I'm not picking on them.)

I'll be 27 in exactly a month, and I didn't realize until right now that blood tastes metallic because it has a metal IN it. DOH!

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

I've been reading Stephen King's On Writing, and last night's passage had something to say about clichés. Four that he mentions are:

- He ran like a madman.
- She was pretty as a summer day.
- The guy was a hot ticket.
- Bob fought like a tiger.

(emphasis in the original)

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the "copper blood" thing originated as a description of the odd taste you get in your mouth after a sudden punch to the head. It isn't blood itself that tastes coppery, but something about getting punched in the head causes a coppery taste.

Of course, people picked that phrase up and now it's a common description of the taste of blood, whether or not the taster has just been punched in the head. But you can't just say that blood tastes salty and a little bit savory, because people expect blood to taste strange and unpleasant. I think that I'd settle for calling it "hot", "warm", or "cold". Possibily "stale", but that's kinda gross.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

have never licked copper
hoptoad
Member # 2145

perhaps a vampiric blood connoisseur would smack their lips and comment:

"Hmm full bodied with a touch of ham-fat..."

trousercuit
Member # 3235

"... and a somewhat austere flavor, though mature and robust. Definitely one of the more well-rounded offerings I've had to date."
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The only blood I have experience tasting is my own (sporadic nosebleeds trickling down). There's a certain metallic tang to it, but I wouldn't say it tastes like a copper penny. A little salty, too. It really doesn't taste like anything else I've tasted.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Nowall: I'm glad to hear that, otherwise I'd start wondering if I wasn't hanging out in the wrong forum
People eat fried blood in my country. I can't tell you what it tastes like because it's been years since I had it and also I'd think the taste would be different from that of fresh blood.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

I was just writing along, and yet another tired old cliché came out: "He was shaken to his very core."

Bleh.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to suck on pennies, and have on occasion sucked my own blood. (split lip, nosebleed various other cuts.) My verdict is that there is a difference.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Heaving bosoms. Unless it is a fan fic about the short story "Kingsmeat."
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

I honestly can't think of any cliches. Does that mean I never use any, or that I use them and can't identify them?

This is going to keep me up tonight.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

Deleted due unseemly remarks about fondue.

. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 21, 2006).]

franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
"Like ships passing in the night". I don't even know how someone would use that, but it feels like a cliche.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

quote:
Deleted due unseemly remarks about fondue.

What in the...

What did you write? What was wrong with it? How can remarks about fondue possibly be unseemly?

YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME!!!

wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
How about "tears streamed down her face" or "his cheeks burned with anger."
Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Franc Li, "Like ships passing in the night" is, I reckon, a Nietzche quote about friendship, and the way it can't last forever. I had no idea it was a cliché, but it was probably overused.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
tc, read Kingsmeat, a short story by OSC.

I honestly can't think of any original cliches

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

quote:
This is going to keep me up tonight.

Ahh. Yet another cliche...

sojoyful
Member # 2997

trousercuit said:
quote:
I honestly can't think of any cliches. Does that mean I never use any, or that I use them and can't identify them?
That could almost be the opening to a story in and of itself.

LPMcGill
Member # 3923

- posted      Profile for LPMcGill   Email LPMcGill         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gone out of my way to eat things I've never eaten...but...fried blood? Now that sounds like something I need to try. Where is fried blood eaten?

Also...You can't just say that there were unseemly remarks about fondue. C'mon. If you're going to leave a message like that, you have to tell the whole story. Do you want my brain to bleed?

Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

They eat cooked, spicy blood stuffed in a sausage sack in Scotland. I never tried any while I was there. Apparently, some people love it - slice it up, fry it, and eat it with eggs.
sojoyful
Member # 2997

I'm not sure I want to know the answer to this, but...whose blood?
hoptoad
Member # 2145

All right, all right, all right. Let me give you my take on the fried blood.
I quite like black pudding. PS: It's mainly oats.
Perhaps you have never been intiated into the dark arts of ecky thump!

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 25, 2006).]

trousercuit
Member # 3235

quote:
I'm not sure I want to know the answer to this, but...whose blood?

They use excess from the blood bank. You might think it's icky, but it's a lot safer than most other kinds.

Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
I have it on good account from an old Scottish ghillie that they use Leprechaun blood, which explains why they're an endangered species these days.

Hmmm...all those unguarded pots o' gold must be just lyin' around the Emerald Isle.

*packs bags with an evil grin*

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkJCherry
Member # 3510

- posted      Profile for MarkJCherry           Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, maybe I'm a little late on the upchuck here, but I just got back after a while...

In reworking my story I've, of course, necessarily needed a new opening. Now, this brings up two questions:

We're told to avoid opening a story with a cliche.

Question 1: Where does a story begin? Is it the first page, or the first chapter? i.e. I want a prologue to open my story with a sense of foreshadowing that something horrible is happening as the first part of the book is read(untill you find out that, yes, indeed, something horrible IS happening) - the Prologue opens with these two sentances: "James was always haunted by nightmares these days. The strangest things had a way of creeping into his dreams." - now of course this will be reworked to hell and back when I finish it, but still the jist is that we're entering a character's nightmare. (Chapter 1 opens with our character for that section, Milo, watching a presidential campeign and his thoughts on it. - it's a politically charged book, of course)

Which brings us to...
Question 2:
Are either of these Cliche? James, in the prologue, wakes up after several paragraphs, to something equally disturbing. Milo reveals his over-abundance of faith and belief in absolute right and wrong through his thoughts.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark

The story begins on the first page. If the prologue is something that you can skip without losing the story, why have it?

Also, generally speaking starting with a dream is cliche. MANY agents will not look at a story that starts with a dream. Do you really need to start there? In regards to the first chapter it is harder to say whether or not you are being cliche from what you've said.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neoindra
Member # 3422

- posted      Profile for Neoindra   Email Neoindra         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

While reading through many of the clichés listed I couldn’t help but wonder if it is entirely possible to write a story without including at least one. Yes, one should stay away from using a clichéd plot, (good Lord if I read another book that involves a quest for a sacred relic to save a troubled world I think I’ll explode) but to set out to come up with inventive ways to express every common expression, or even the ones deemed overly used, is a goal that would destroy any writer no matter how experienced. In short I agree with the whole pepper analogy. Heaving breasts are okay but I think the world can live without anymore pale virgins riding unicorns.

[This message has been edited by Neoindra (edited October 11, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Neoindra (edited October 11, 2006).]

Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.