Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Submitting short stories

Author Topic: Submitting short stories
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I've submitted a novel to a publisher before (less said about that, the better) but I'm about to submit my first short story/novelette thingy.

So, obviously (I think), I send the place the manuscript. What else do I send? I'm assuming a cover letter is involved. Any hints on what to say. My assumptions here would be: a minimal mention of who I am and a brief description of the story itself.

I was also thinking of throwing the thing into the WOTF contest. They don't mention a cover letter either, but is one required? Again I'm guessing yes, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
No, don't include a short summary of the story, or try to characterize it ("This is an ironic story about what happens if a fun-loving zombie chimpanzee gets trapped in an elevator with the Dalai Llama. It explores the themes of interspecies communication and tolerance, and shows how practical jokes do not always translate from one culture to another."). That has AMATEUR written all over it.

Dear Editor,

Enclosed is my 7500 word short story "Attack of the Evil Robot Monkeys."

My fiction has appeared in "Monkey Tales" and the "Monkey Off Your Back" anthology from Smiling Chimpanzee Press. [skip this paragraph if you have no credits.]

Thanks for your consideration.

Best,
Beth

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some links about cover letters:

Strange Horizons (some stuff is specific to SH only but overall sound guidance):
http://www.strangehorizons.com/guidelines/fiction-cover-letter.shtml

From Jennifer Pelland:
http://jenwrites.livejournal.com/342098.html

From Robert Sawyer:
http://www.sfwriter.com/ow09.htm

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
WOTF doesn't require a cover letter at all. You send a cover page with your name, address, title, wordcount, ect... on it. But on the first page of your manuscript you don't put your name in the By line. The first reader doesn't know your name to make for fair judging.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Many editors explain in their guidelines what they want with your submission--whether a cover letter is needed and what they want in it.

It's always good to check for a publication's guidelines before sending them anything. You can find links to lots of guidelines at www.ralan.com

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only is it good to check the guidelines, it is an absolute MUST DO.

All of the places you might submit probably have a website and almost all will have a link to Submission Guidelines. It varies wildly on what they want and how to submit.

I've seen some that say don't send a cover at all. Some take only email submissions. Some have on-line forms.

If you don't check the specific pubs guidelines then you're unlikely to get a very good response.

Be prepared to format your ms in Word, RTF, plain text, Sanskrit (kidding), paste, attach, print, format, dont' format. It's crazy out there.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

Thanks all. I have indeed been checking guidelines and a bunch of places (including WOTF) made no mention of cover letters, hence my query. I should have been more specific.

Actually, as a quasi-aside I would recommend that everyone checks out the submission guidelines for Weird Tales. Not only are the extraordinarily extensive they include an awesome little primer on the writing of fiction itself. Really impressive. (They advocate the lack of a cover letter, and considering I have nothing impressive or significant to put on it I am leaning in this direction - however Beth's letter is appealingly short).

http://www.darkfantasy.org/weirdtales/WeirdTalesGuidelines.pdf

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
My cover letter looks exactly like Beth's (with pertinent details changed, of course), right down to the the valediction. However, I don't usually include the thanks.

[This message has been edited by Rahl22 (edited September 22, 2006).]

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

Random follow-up question!

Should the cover letter include my address and the address of the person I'm sending it to, per standard business mail format, or should I not bother with all those shenanigans?

Thanks!

Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
cover letter should have full contact info
Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david2885
Member # 3964

- posted      Profile for david2885   Email david2885         Edit/Delete Post 
How to Submit Fiction: http://www.sfwa.org/members/pollotta/submit.html

Really thorough website, tells you what size font to print it out in, what kind of information to send, how to send the manuscript... Dead useful. There's a specific part in there regarding short stories in particular, as well as a part about cover letters.

[This message has been edited by david2885 (edited September 30, 2006).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always subscribed to the "no-cover-letter" school of thought. Unless you've got a personal relationship with the editor you're sending it to, all they really want to see is the manuscript---provided you remembered to put it in the envelope.

(I'm genuinely embarrassed by what I wrote on the few times I've written and mailed cover letters.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually don't include credits. No praticular reason why.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.