Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Would you recommend writing story sections out of order?

Author Topic: Would you recommend writing story sections out of order?
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.

Its been ages since I put pen to paper, or rather finger to keyboard on the novel I started.

Part of the trouble now is that I have some good ideas for some stuff that happens in the story that comes quite a way off where I have got to at the moment.

Would it be reasonable to jump to those sections of the story & then come back to the bit I've not quite figured out later on?

The main problem I can see is that if I jump forwards, I'll be writing without quite knowing of any character developments etc I might have come up with in the missing pages.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of people are infavor of this, but I'm not.

If you write all your candy bar scences up front, what incentive will you have to finish the story?

I would recommend writing straight through.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Write whatever gets you to write.

If you have to write out of order to keep writing, do it.

I disagree with the candy bar comment. All of your scenes should be candy bars. Just sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't.

got it?

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
A first draft on a scene or chapter while it's fresh in your mind should be okay.

I recently wrote a children's book (I know, don't laugh, it's 13K words long). We had plotted out a sequence of events, so I just wrote whichever section where I felt inspired.

I wrote the first part, then sprinkled through some others, and ended up with the last scene written about two-thirds of the way through the book.

Of course, we had a complete outline with a pretty meaty summary going by that time. I say 'we' not in the royal sense, but in the sense that I had a partner in the book development.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All of your scenes should be candy bars. Just sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't.
That is AWESOME funny. I snorted my dinner thanks to you.

Skipping around PROS:
- You're writing *something*.
- You get those great ideas down on paper before you forget them.
- You keep the greater whole of the story fresh in your mind.
- Later scenes may make you think of something you wouldn't have thought of until that scene if you were writing straight through.

Skipping around CONS:
- As mentioned, filling in can be less thrilling.
- You may find that you have written later scenes that just don't make sense given what comes before them.
- You have your work cut out for you during rewrite because you have to get the progression of emotion/plot/character/etc. consistent from beginning to end.

Personally, I like to skip around. BUT I never do so without first having planned the entire thing from beginning to end. I don't write scenes in a vaccuum.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
As always, it depends on the story and on the writer, but if it works, do it.

I have written stuff that way, and it worked just fine. I've written other stuff in the order in which it would be read and that worked, too.

I also strongly recommend that if you are going to write chapter whenever and chapter later on before you write chapter earlier, that you have a good outline, but even that can be worked around when you do the rewrites, if necessary.

Do what works, and sometimes you have to try it before you find out if it's going to work or not.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Both ways have worked for me, but I generally prefer to start somewhere and then write in order. Besides, what's up ahead usually changes as I move towards it.

Of course, that's the writing of it, the sitting down and putting words on paper (or images on screen). When I work out the idea in my head, I'm going here and there and back and front and center and so on and so on...but when I write I start at something resembling the beginning and work my way to something resembling the end.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I found myself utterly liberated as a writer when I got a PC and word-processor and could tell stories "out of order" and shuffle them into place later.

There are problems (you have to read and edit very tightly to keep consistency), and on short stuff I still tend to start at the beginning and write to the end. But for novels, I couldn't possibly complete one that way.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I write both ways - straight through, and jumping around at times. I know the scenes I want to have in the novel (mostly) and if that scene pops into my head full-blown, as they do at times, I'll write it down as soon as I can. The joy of computers is that you can copy and paste that scene in when you've finally written your way to that spot. I'm about to write the climactic battle sequence and aftermath of my second novel. The novel so far consists of two written chapters (the first two), but most of it is planned out - no outline, just sequences and character growth I've thought out. I'm a "blank page writer" for the most part, but this is the second book in a trilogy, so I planned it out to keep the action balanced between the three books.

Lynda

[This message has been edited by Lynda (edited September 24, 2006).]

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to jump around but then I also have a general outline of the story in my head or, significantly less often, written down. It works for me.
Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done both, and they've both worked.

Like tchernabyelo, I'll write a short story from beginning to end (more often than not), but a novel's a bit more difficult. I liken writing a novel to putting together a 100,000-piece puzzle, only you don't have a cover image to help you (unless you count the outline; I don't, because my outline is a mindmap less than 100 words long, and detailing only major plotlines). Sometimes I'll get chunks completed of one section and move on to the next, and other times I'm flitting about here and there because that's where the muse has gone, and I have no choice but to follow.

Experiment, and go with what works. There's no right way, just right for you.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
Once again (okay, for the first time here) I am compelled to ask: HOW did Victorian novelists do it? I mean, writing complete long novels in order to be published serially! Keep in mind they not only had to scrawl the whole bloody things out by hand, but they must have had the complete story in their head and maybe notes and outlines to keep all the details straight!

What if, halfway through a work, they realized a certain character or plot element was totally wrong, and something should be added or subtracted, either to completely change the outcome, or just improve an earlier part of the story, or there was simply a fact they needed and no internet or even telephones to turn to to check it? What were they supposed to do when the book was being serially published and readers waiting for the outcome?

Robert Louis Stevenson may not have published serially, but he dreamed stories in order and then wrote out the next day what he dreamed! Maybe that's the difference between me and successful novelists. Long works NEVER come to me in order--I have a scene here, a fragment there, a sort of a feeling elsewhere, to try to tie together. Certain elements may be very plain and others hazy with big blank patches in between. Sometimes I do dream about my stories, but it's usually my mind working overtime in desperation trying to fill in these blanks, and not many of my dream elements are usable. If someone knows a way to train one's dreams to accomplish useful work, do tell!

Although I might show an unfinished manuscript to some people for suggestions, I would never dare to try to publish anything without the WHOLE thing being finished! (What cracks me up is it took George Eliot two years to write "The Mill on the Floss" and me four years to read it!)

Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.