Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » So I see that there are a lot of threads on "cliche" at the moment

Author Topic: So I see that there are a lot of threads on "cliche" at the moment
I need a good user name
Member # 3812

- posted      Profile for I need a good user name   Email I need a good user name         Edit/Delete Post 
And it has me wondering about cliches and originality, especially in regards to this one specific question I have.

It may sound funny, but how do you know if a story idea is "valid?" Or how well would a story work if it uses elements that are practically cliche in one genre and use it in a different genre (or media, for that matter). I suppose it would unquestionably be considered original, but my question is specifically about how well would such ideas or concepts actually translate across the genre gap.

For example, I tend to use elements from anime in my written stories. I know that anime has a certain stigma attached to it - a lot of people won't touch anything that even has a hint of anime influence. Is this something I should change?

Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I love cliche, provided the writer knows it's cliche and is using the fact. I think editors don't because those using cliche usually don't use it well.

I wouldn't recognize anime influence if it bit me.

I get annoyed when someone says, I'd be wary of trying to sell VR stories, or stories with dolphins or American Indians or homeless people. However, they just might be right.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Starting a thread on cliches is so last week.

What? Someone would have said it eventually.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
A cliche can be good if it invokes a fond allusion.

A cliche is bad when its just another overrused bit.

Don't worry about your inspiration as long as you keep your story-world consistant with itself. And never talk about your stigmatized inspirations - people who don't know manga will not recognize the references, but they will stigmatize it for the connection you established.

Of course, once you are repeatedly published, reverse that. Your love of manga will then spread to some of the people who admire your work.

There are some cliches that are expected - the good guy gets the girl, etc and its harder to make the story fulfilling if you dont meet that expectation.

There are some cliches that are just cliches. Having the cop whose about to retire, show his picture of the boat he just bought an hour before he is killed in action. Just stupid cliche. Avoid this in all instances except parody.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.