Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Thousand Ideas in a Topic (Forum brainstorm session)

Author Topic: Thousand Ideas in a Topic (Forum brainstorm session)
bean891
Member # 3966

- posted      Profile for bean891   Email bean891         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, friends. I was wondering, if I proposed a question every month or so, would you answer them?

This is: "Thousand Ideas in a Topic"!

QUESTION: MAGIC SYSTEMS

I've devised a magic system in which people manipulate the elements to do their bidding. Alas, I am STUMPED.

I'd like some friendly ideas on how the rules work. What must you do/say? What is the cost of magic? What are the short-term and long-term effects of magic? Does it unintentionally take lives?

Answer right away!

-Bean

Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! We've done a few of these before...modelled after OSC's "Thousand Ideas in an Hour" and they can work. There are a few keys to success.

1. Anyone can suggest anything.
2. No ideas on this topic are sacred. Anyone can use them in any story...no questions asked or accusations of stealing.
3. Someone (the person who posted the topic) should try to drive things. It is best to start with one questions (Like "What is the cost of magic?" Usually, once you get a few thoughts out there you might focus on one and ask new questions about it to drive down to more specific and more interesting ideas. People can follow the other "branches" independently, of course.

Anyway, that's just my experience. I'll go ahead and get the ball rolling...

#####################

What is the cost of magic?

1. Cute, furry, and innocent creatures.
2. Sanity
3. Intelligence
4. Life (as in you cast a spell and you die a year sooner)
5. Body parts

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited October 01, 2006).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Bean -- did you go to the class, or read the book?

Can you give us a little detail about your world? I think it matters what you're planning, when you pick the price-of-magic sysem.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
The cost of magic is a little bit of the world's water supply, which has slowly become depleted. Now the real fight begins as the magicians all try to kill each other off in order to control the last few drops of magic.

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bean891
Member # 3966

goatboy -- I am intrigued by your cost. We should maybe collaberate online and write the story together? I would love it.

wbriggs -- I read the book. It's my how-to-write Bible.
Also, the story idea is set in a world in which (thanks to goatboy's and Christine's ideas ) is ruled by a government entity of magicians known as Druids (this come from my Celtic heritage). Druids are the youngest sons of youngest sons. Water is considered sacred since it is the basis of magic. Now, these are times of war; the Druids are using as much magic as ever before. So, the Druids and the citizens are slowly beginning to die, and the only way to save them is for the Shamans (medical wizards) to discover a new way to use magic. In one point in the story, the barbarians are defeated. But, the Druids are growing insane and unhealthy, some even senile. They are turning on each other for magic and water. The city is waning. The water supply is almost gone, but the POV character (a Druid that is realizing his own insanity and fighting against it) tries desperately to save the citizens by commiting suicide, putting a significant amount of magic and water back. However, he has the murderous Druids right on his tail.

Christine -- I feel that number 2 is a very good cost as well. What if the constant use of magic drives magicians to the brink of senility? If I combound your's and goatboy's costs, maybe the insanity is adding to the animosity between magicians? And maybe the senile magicians are conspiring agaisnt each other, and an ancient society sworn to protect the city from rival barbarians has now gone on a rampaging killing frenzy for the last drops of magic in order to annihilate the barbarians and finally free themselves from insanity?

There are tons of possibilities. For more complex answers, email me at morningstar95@hotmail.com
If you're interested in my story, tell me! I want feedback!
-Bean

[This message has been edited by bean891 (edited October 01, 2006).]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LPMcGill
Member # 3923

- posted      Profile for LPMcGill   Email LPMcGill         Edit/Delete Post 
1.Blood
2.Emotion
3.Appearance
4.A gift to the gods, something that is most precious to the spell caster
5.Physical body (Like, if every time you cast a spell, you slowly slipped into another state of being, eventually losing your solid physical body and the ability to interact with the real world, pretty much becoming no more than a ghost)

Aaaaaaand, I'm spent.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bean891
Member # 3966

LPMcGill - Number 2 is intriguing to me. How would they lose their emotion? Would they become cold, black-hearted cynicists? Or would they lose all of their emotion? Combining all of these thoughts all go together:

*Christine mentioned sanity. The Druids would slowly begin to become insane and conspire against each other, which goes directly into
*Goatboy's mentioning of the magic supply. The insane Druids murder each other for control of the last drops of magic, which leads to
*LPMcGill's loss of emotion theory. The once happy Druids would turn cold and stonehearted and eventually disregard the emotions of those around them.

These are all incredible ideas. Thank you for your input!

-Bean

Kadri
Member # 3402

- posted      Profile for Kadri   Email Kadri         Edit/Delete Post 
Geeky stuff mostly from games:

In Warcraft there's the idea of magic addiction which causes a loss of sanity (similar to Lovecraftian stuff) and using it is like a giant neon "COME INVADE US" sign for demons.

In Shadowrun magic basically deals stun damage to the caster. If you try and do too much without resting you pass out.

The other thing to consider is who can do magic.

Is it genetic as in psionics, X-Men style mutants, the "knacks" in the Alvin Maker books? If so there's probably less ritual involved.

Or is it something that takes a great deal of learning? Can anyone of average / above average intelligence learn to cast spells if he has the right books and spends enough time? Then there's probably lots of motions and components and such.

Sometimes it's both, like in Harry Potter.

Posts: 26 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
If there's a cost of magic, how is the magic renewed so the wizard can be powerful again? Does he eat Magical Wheaties or Lucky Charms or something to regain his magical strength? Seriously, would the wizard eventually shrivel up and die once they've done a certain amount of magic? If so, you could pretty much know when you're going to die, and could "control" when you die by not doing so much magic. In my fantasy novel, there are magical battles that are all-out warfare between mages, wizards, other magical people. If there was a "cost" to the wizard for each spell cast, battles wouldn't last very long, so I don't write my magic that way (not that I'm an authority, it's just how I'm doing it, because this system makes sense to me). My wizards and mages lose power as they're weakened from injuries, and they can be healed faster if a fairy or another wizard gives them some magic (a fairy by a kiss, a wizard by giving the injured one some blood). But that's my way of writing a "cost" of magic - it isn't really a "cost of magic," it's a weakness caused by injury, which means his spells won't be as strong as they should be because the wizard himself is weakened by blood loss or spells he's been hit with, etc. That's the "system" that makes sense to me.

Any weapon worth its salt can be reloaded - well, except for grenades and other things that explode on impact. But a regular "weapon" like a gun, for instance, can be reloaded. If you use up all your magic, you're down to fighting with your fists, daggers, knives, clubs, machine guns if you can find them. So I think wizards would go to a LOT of trouble to work out a way to not use up their magic, or to replenish it quickly. Otherwise, by using it, they're shortening their lives or at least decreasing their ability to defend themselves. JMO

In the Harry Potter world, the kids do magic all the time in school while learning magic. If there was a "cost" of magic, they'd all have fairly short lifespans, especially those like Seamus, Neville, Ron and even Harry, who make so many mistakes before they get it right. In that world some wizards (like Dumbledore) live way past 100 years old (I think he's 170 before he dies? I could be mistaken there.) Dumbledore never seems to be weakened by doing magic despite his great age.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are many ways of doing magic in fiction, and not all of them require a "cost" of magic as far as I can see.

If you really want there to be a cost of magic, it should be renewable - if he loses energy from casting spells, then eating some special fruit, perhaps, or a steak tartare or something like that (liver!) should renew his blood and make his magic strong again. Otherwise, if I were a wizard and knew I only had a finite amount of magic in me, I'd hoard the magic and only use it when REALLY necessary. JMO.

Lynda

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Then again, if there were a finite amount of magic in the whole world and it was up for grabs, a wizard would do as much magic as they could as quickly as possible, before someone else used it all up.

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited October 01, 2006).]

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! I just thought of one that really intrigues me.

Say you have a world where everyone lives at different levels, but there are ways in which you can move to a higher level by succeeding at various kinds of tasks for the benefit of society or you move to a lower level if you fail.

What if the price for magic was that you moved to a lower level, too? (So performing magic was akin to failing at a task.)

I need to think about this some more....

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bean891
Member # 3966

Kadri - The magic is taught to youngest sons by their fathers: it involves reciting spells, which are usually poems or songs.

Lynda - Druids aren't common in battles in my world; that is what soldiers are for. Druids are only used for long term, devastating spells IN battle. Shamans are used to heal important soldiers/Druids. (pronounced droo-ids, not droids). There is a cost of magic in my world because magic is a sacred thing.

sojoyful - There IS a finite amount of magic, but the Druids know how to control their thirst for magic. But, the story is set in a time where they need as much magic as possible -- which is just the time they don't have enough.

Kadri - The magic is taught to youngest sons by their fathers: it involves reciting spells, which are usually poems or songs.

Lynda - Druids aren't common in battles in my world; that is what soldiers are for. Druids are only used for long term, devastating spells IN battle. Shamans are used to heal important soldiers/Druids. (pronounced droo-ids, not droids). There is a cost of magic in my world because magic is a sacred thing.

sojoyful - There IS a finite amount of magic, but the Druids know how to control their thirst for magic. But, the story is set in a time where they need as much magic as possible -- which is just the time they don't have enough.

Corky - Your magic rules interest me. I'll be sure to include it in my story, but the idea of the Druids sinking to lower levels isn't working for me. But, the citizens can reach higher levels.

Thank you for the ideas, this thing is going prefectly

-Bean

Grimslade
Member # 3173

- posted      Profile for Grimslade           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting twist to your "price' of magic, humans are mostly water. Leads into the whole ritual sacrifice thing druids had going on. Maybe if a druid needs a quick recharge of his magical batteries, he can steal another person/animals water or use his own withering him. Might want to read up on the effects of dehydration on the body. You could have an antagonist who is less than particular on where he gets his 'water' from.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
What qualifies as an element? It struck me that you might be thinking more "earth, wind, fire, water, metal" than the periodic table of the elements.

My idea would be something more systematized, like you could never eat your favorite foods, or you had to pick only one. I mean, doesn't the idea of some kind of rigor and training appeal to most fantasy readers, rather than some kind of zero-sum power struggle for the most blood, water, or what have you?

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
franc li, I like the idea of a magician or witch having to do years of ruinous training to be able to cast magic, especially the more powerful spells.

I have used a system a little like what some people have already described, but maybe a little different as well. I have three types of magic, Spirit, Will and Mind. Spirit is for healing and saps the strength of ones soul, (and my story that I have this system in DOES involve souls), the Will is for destruction/chaos and saps the casters will of life and want to continue on living and Mind is for creation/construction and saps the persons sanity makes the person insane.

I also include physical exhaustion, so of course the system is like what people mentioned, maybe a lot more than I thought.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimslade
Member # 3173

- posted      Profile for Grimslade           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been cobbling together a magic system that involves using the soul/humanity as the price for magic. Magic is an element in the medieval sense, along with air, earth, fire, water and spirit. It is walled off from the world by a veil, a protective membrane around reality. Humans can use magic in one of two ways. They can create a pact with an entity that lives beyond the veil, a demon or fairy. The entity posesses the human host and channels magic for the human. The more you use magic the stronger the entity becomes until it controls the host. The other way is to invert the process and send your own soul into the veil to act as a conduit. The more you do this the less likely your soul will come back. Plus, there are all those entities on the other side of the veil to contend with. They may not take kindly to intruders.
Humans have no innate skill with magic. The posessed are taught by their pact entities and the 'souless' are taught in monastic settings by elders.
My biggest problem is deciding what happens when a 'souless' is without a soul. I am leaning toward it being a fragment of his/her personality, a doppleganger. The longer the soul is away the more different it becomes until the practitioner suffers from Multiple Personality Disorder or in the case his soul breaks free, catatonia.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
if magic is taught to youngest sons by their fathers....what do the youngest sons of fathers who were eldest sons do? Since their fathers were not taught by their fathers, only their brother was?
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good question. Also, what if a father teaches his youngest son...and then has another son?
Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

Leigh, you wrote: >>I have used a system a little like what some people have already described, but maybe a little different as well. I have three types of magic, Spirit, Will and Mind. Spirit is for healing and saps the strength of ones soul, (and my story that I have this system in DOES involve souls), the Will is for destruction/chaos and saps the casters will of life and want to continue on living and Mind is for creation/construction and saps the persons sanity makes the person insane. <<

This sounds like an interesting system, BUT who's self-destructive enough to destroy his sanity or lose his will for living to do magic? Wouldn't observing this happening to other wizards make the "budding" wizard hesitate to cast spells? Or are they all so caught up in the magic they don't care that they're shortening their lives this way? Maybe it's a matter of perspective. If a writer is a young person, perhaps he or she has that "young person's perspective" of feeling invincible, so they write their characters that way? Whereas, I'm on the downslope of my mid-fifties and if I knew that doing a magic spell was going to shorten my life or make me more infirm in any way, I'd think MANY MANY TIMES before casting that spell, so I write my characters with magic that replenishes itself.

There are other ways than magic to do most things - you can use guns instead of magic for warfare, for example, or medicine instead of magic for healing. I simply don't understand a magical system in which the wizard is costing himself lifespan or health to cast his spells - if he were a bad student, he might not live long enough to become a mature wizard, having used up his magical essence, health and lifespan on badly-cast spells! This is how this system appears to me. Can someone explain the pyschology behind a system that uses up the wizard this way?

Magic makes sense to me the way it's presented in the Merlin stories and in Harry Potter - it doesn't "use up" the wizard, but is simply a part of him (it's in their blood, perhaps, which is a constantly renewed resource in the body). THAT kind of magical system I understand. I don't understand this "depletion system" of magic at all.

Sign me thoroughly confused,
Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

As the water supply becomes more and more depleted, one wizard begins to tinker with technology and builds a machine that lets him extract water from other elements, say by mixing hydrogen and oxygen. (Since the magic is elemental, the solution to the depletion should be elemental too.) This gives the wizard an advantage which he uses to begin killing off his rivals.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

Both magic systems are used in literature today. The depletion one just repersents life more than the other.

Consider, with every breath you grow older, you deplete your own life. With every mile you drive, you burn fuel, a resource that is simply gone. Food is limited, land is limited, air is limited. Why should magic be free?

Even in Harry Potter, it seems to me that magic has limits. Otherwise, Dumbledore would have simply cast a spell on page one of the first book which would have contained Voldemort so he could never do any more harm.

In a way, magic can be depleted in HP too, since a broken (or the wrong) wand can rob a wizard's strength. Even being too tired or wounded can serve as a cost. (Physical energy).

There are payments that are subtle and those that are blatant. Voldermort seems to have paid a more blatant cost for his magic, slowly turning into something non human. Who knows what Harry's cost will be?

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
In Harry Potter - the years of studying was the "price" for the magic.

Everything has a cost. If using magic didn't there would be no reason not to use magic to peel a grape.

The EarthSea books are a good example of not using magic unless there is a great need. Ged does magic to show off and unleashes a great evil on the world. Ged is mortally injured in the process. The archmage gives up his life to save Ged.

In my WIP, mages study to learn thier craft but call on thier own strength to weild the magic. As an example in order to heal a critically ill person, the mage must surrender his/her life. Headaches are often side effects of any difficult or sustained spell. The mage can render himself unconcious or lose the ability to do further magic if he overuses the power. Also, while everyone is taught the theory behind healing, only those people with a gift in healing can actually heal.

I really like the idea of a finite amount of magic being available and that supply dwindling.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystic
Member # 2673

- posted      Profile for Mystic   Email Mystic         Edit/Delete Post 
I am actually writing a novel right now that uses an elemental (water, fire, earth, wind, lightning, metal, etc.) system. My characters are born with the natural ability to control one and only one element, but they must train in order to master their abilities and increase their range of use. For example, my MC is a Water-user. At first, he can only move small amounts of water, but over time, he is able to control the pressure, temperature, and other aspects of water, coming to a point that he can create water illusions by manipulating water to bend light in just a way to mirror an image of himself or shooting high-pressure waterbombs that can decimate cities. Currently, his world is slowly falling apart as good users, bad users, animals capable of element control, and humanity (who have just stumbled onto nuclear weaponry) are about to blow each other to bits because one girl who can control life itself has been forced to resurrect a demonic individual capable of controlling the evil that lurks within the hearts of all creatures.

My system works on the basis that each user's max power is only as strong as there is an amount of an element divided by the number of users of that element in the world. This means that Water users rule because the world has a lot of water, but as more water users are born, then everyone's power is weakened. So, also add in "users killing other users to gain their power" to the forces trying to go to war. The cost system uses a health/energy set-up, which means you have a magical energy reserve that works just like the amount of energy you have to do exercise (the more you run, the stronger and more endurant you become and then can run even further). However, when you run out of magical energy, you can convert your more potent lifeforce to magical energy, but that can kill you, especially when you are already injured. It is a simple, often used system, but the focus is meant to stay on cool fight scenes, epic battles, and the characters.

Posts: 162 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

Goatboy and King's_Falcon, thanks for the explanations. I didn't consider being educated in magic (as in Harry Potter) to be a "price" that was paid for it. The magic in my novels is similar to that in the HP novels, because the heroes start out knowing only the least bit of magic, then get a mentor and learn it when they're late teenagers. They have power as long as they have strength. If they're badly wounded, they can't do much magic at all, if any. To me, their magic is in their blood, so it's constantly restored, but if they've had a major depletion and are seriously injured, then a transfusion of magical blood or a kiss from a fairy will give them back enough magic to help them heal more quickly. That "makes sense" to me.

It's amazing how many different ways people come up with to explain how magic works. I particularly liked the water magic Mystic mentioned. That sounds logical and very cool! My brain doesn't seem to work that way. Hope you get it published so I can read it!

Oh, and wizards are very vulnerable in my fics - take their wands away and they're pretty much helpless. That's why it's handy that Merlin and my heroes are mages, who do wandless magic. (They're on a different skill/strength level than wizards, fairies, elves, etc. in my little world).

This is a fun discussion! I've learned some interesting stuff. Thanks for starting the thread!

Lynda

bean891
Member # 3966

These are all interesting ideas. I'm trying to merge all of the magic system ideas together..it would definately make for good fiction.

Thank you!!

-Bean

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
what about 'intent' responsive magics?

Let say that 'magic' or 'mana' or whatever, is a sentient force rather than an intelligent one. In that case it could respond to 'true intent' rather than to 'professed intent' etc. The bonus is that if you really mean it, the magic will seldom fail. It may even deliver better results than you could have imagined. The cost, however, is that if you engage in magics halfheartedly they either do not work or they respond to your 'true intent' rather than your stated one. It delivers what you really want regardless of whether that tallies with what you say you want.

This would mean simple things, ie lighting a fire, would be easy. More complicated tasks with areas of 'grey' or 'doubt' would be harder to effect.

Perhaps this is why magicians carry 'spell' books. They may be more like a journal of effects rather than spells and they may study them more for an understanding of what the 'magic' is telling them about themself and their hidden motives. Perhaps the more 'aware' a magician is of their 'true' intent, the more accurate and effective their magics are. This may take a lifetime to develop.

Did you know that the word 'spell' comes from a root word that mean story? That means a 'spell book' is literally a story book. In this case it could be the 'story' of their life. Imagine someone stealing your spell book? They may think it is a shortcut to greatness...

PS: Thanks to dictionary.com for this next bit: Origin: bef. 900; ME spell, OE: discourse; c. OHG spel, ON spjall, Goth spill tale.

PPS: BEANS, don't try to combine them all. Perhaps combine compatible elements, but don't try to be everything to everyone.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 02, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LPMcGill
Member # 3923

- posted      Profile for LPMcGill   Email LPMcGill         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe if your magic users, say if they were trying to heal, would take on the maladies that they were trying to dispell. Like, if they tried to heal someone's wound, either they recieved the wound themselves or felt ghost-pains of the wound for a certain period of time.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
bean891, if you try to use all of the ideas people discuss here, you will come up with a mass of confusion--and you may not have anything to work with in a different book.

How about just picking those that pertain directly to your original question on manipulating elements? Your magic system has a better chance of being understandable to the reader that way, and it will be easier for your characters (and you) to manage.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bean891
Member # 3966

hoptoad - I like your idea. A story in which the antagonist steals another Druid's, Shaman's, or magician's of any guise, spell book, the victim of the theft would be thought of as a criminal, as they would have changed identities? I'd like to further expand your idea; what if, say, stealing a magician's spell book would make you that magician? And what if a very important spell book got in the hands of a filthy rogue? (If so, I would write the story in the rogue's POV.)

LPMcGill - Your idea would work perfectly in a story. Say a Shaman acts as Christ and takes on the pain of his city after a terrible plague, killing himself, but saving all others around him? Feel free to use my ideas, write a story, and e-mail it to me .

Kathleen - I'm honored to have you on this thread, and you are entirely right. I think what I was trying to say is I would like to make an amalgam of elements of magic system ideas and make a very interesting magic system. Also, I think I might ditch the idea of JUST manipulating elements (earth, wind, fire, water, light, aether, metal, etc.). For example, Shamans wouldn't be able to use the elements to heal people (in certain cases they could, but I'm speaking generally).

Thank you guys for the ideas. Tons of small ideas are germinating into story seeds. Anyone feel free to write, share, and critique!

-Bean

(My real name IS Trevor.)

[This message has been edited by bean891 (edited October 03, 2006).]

Jake Talahan
Member # 3978

- posted      Profile for Jake Talahan   Email Jake Talahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I like working outside the box.

Ok, so you want a system of magic. Let's twist this topic a little and instead make it 'a system of magic which has many different rules depending on the perspective and culture which employs it, and the location and available resources.'

Ah ha! Now I'm getting needlessly complex! No, I think not.

Magic, in my opinion, is a mental art. People think differently, therefore, not all magic should be the same.

Let's take the people of the Pansua Plains. It is there belief that there is on singular god, and that god spits great fire across the land, warming the earth. It is their belive that this god gives them magical powers, therefore, for the Pansua people, by performing religious ceremony they can create great streams of fire. Tradition demands that there be five people in this 'ceremonial group' therefore, they are incapable mentally of creating fire in groups any more or less then five.

Now let's take the Tansu, who are are a 'viking' type society. They have many religions, many different points of view, yet they are *warriors*. They have been taught that by spilling the blood of enemies and eating their hearts, they will gain strength! They have been taught by raping a woman in a town they conquer, they will gain speed and stamina! They have special magicans, or seers, which gain magic through spells and potions, passed down from generation to generation.

Finally we come to the Farkens. They are civilized folk which believe in the Three Elements of Magic. White for Healing, Red for Destruction, and Black for Death. They have special schools that teach this magic, and they *know* that one cannot walk down the path of more then one element at a time or it will destroy them. Thus it is so.

Magic, maybe, should be governed by superstition, culture, tradition, as well as real life factors such as places on the planet where magic is stronger (through they don't know why), and education in magic. As for the actual real life 'how it works', maybe we can compare it to medicine in the middle ages or ironworking. There was a lot more 'guesswork' then 'knowhow' and that's what made it interesting (and oft fatal).

Posts: 16 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Lynda wrote:

quote:
This sounds like an interesting system, BUT who's self-destructive enough to destroy his sanity or lose his will for living to do magic? Wouldn't observing this happening to other wizards make the "budding" wizard hesitate to cast spells? Or are they all so caught up in the magic they don't care that they're shortening their lives this way? Maybe it's a matter of perspective. If a writer is a young person, perhaps he or she has that "young person's perspective" of feeling invincible, so they write their characters that way? Whereas, I'm on the downslope of my mid-fifties and if I knew that doing a magic spell was going to shorten my life or make me more infirm in any way, I'd think MANY MANY TIMES before casting that spell, so I write my characters with magic that replenishes itself.

Didn't explain fully, I guess. Those in that certain story use magic only when needed, so the harmful side effects won't weary them or kill them earlier.

As for the young writer, I'm only 19, male and testosterone driven and sometimes think I'm invincible, so I believe that would reflect in my writing.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

Leigh wrote: >>Didn't explain fully, I guess. Those in that certain story use magic only when needed, so the harmful side effects won't weary them or kill them earlier.

As for the young writer, I'm only 19, male and testosterone driven and sometimes think I'm invincible, so I believe that would reflect in my writing. <<

Ah. You proved my premise, then. If you were an ancient crone like me, your attitude would be different! LOL! Thanks for the explanation!

Lynda, who would've written a lot differently when she was 19, too.

bean891
Member # 3966

Jake - If you have a story about you world, I want to read it. Thanks for the idea, but I don't want to use it; I want YOU to use it and write stories for it! They will most likely get published.

-Bean

Jake Talahan
Member # 3978

- posted      Profile for Jake Talahan   Email Jake Talahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the kind words, but I made that up on the spot as an example of thinking outside the box. Why use a predetermined and rather boring 'system' when you don't have to explain anything at all? Or even, keep the reading guessing, maybe by hinting that maybe all these people are pulling from the same magic pool but don't realize it?

An idea I had along that route is that maybe magic is regenerative, like grass on the ground with different concentrations in different areas. It takes time to regenerate, but it is not different then magic anywhere else - it's merely how people use it. Maybe when one army comes forth using a totally different magic the other army is suprised when there is very little magical flow left? And that is why our protaganist begins to wonder about how magic works?

Hmm, well anyhow, just a random idea and worthless for what I'm working on right now. Take it if you want it, if not discard it. Either way I'll have changed it a million times over before I use it anyhow.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.