Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writing Software

Author Topic: Writing Software
LPMcGill
Member # 3923

- posted      Profile for LPMcGill   Email LPMcGill         Edit/Delete Post 
In the "Formatting" thread, I saw a bunch of programs mentioned that I had never heard of before. I've always simply used Word to write, and thought about getting Final Draft for screenwriting projects (though, I'll have to be saving up a bit for that. It's a bit on the expensive side). I never knew about Write It Now and stuff like that. The only other program I had ever used was WordPerfect, and absolutely hated it. What are the advantages and disadvantages of these different programs?
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
RoughDraft is free, has a screenwriting mode, and doesn't have all the feature-creep that MS word does.

OpenOffice is a free alternative to Microsoft.

There are others, but those are the two I use most.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Final Draft is excellent. I have a copy because it was recommended to me by an established television writer. That said, I wouldn't buy it unless you are very serious about writing scripts or already make a comfortable living outside writing. That is mainly due to the price tag. That other software that's always on the back cover of Writer's Digest is a viable alternative until you can justify Final Draft.

My 2-cents.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I use Microsoft Works 'cause it came with my first computer, and then again with this one. (There's some slight difference between the two.)

Are there any others?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for Mig           Edit/Delete Post 
Could those of you who use the alternative wpp like RoughDraft and OpenOffice explain the advantages of those programs over MSWord.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been toying with the idea of making my *own* writer's software (or giving it to a student as a project). Here are my 2 ideas.

* a database sort of thing that warns you if a story has been out too long (you set for the magazine how long its turnaround time would be). Otherwise, it would be like a regular database, or excel, just for recordkeeping.

* a program that lets you have trees, as in

thing to accomplish, which has two arrows going into it from subtask1 and subtask2; and each of these can have arrows going into it from sub-subtasks...

...and you can tell the item "expose your subtasks" or "hide them." There might also be a temporal component -- things that have to happen before something else happens. This would be to order events in a novel.

So...

...would these things be useful?
...are there programs that do this already?
...are there other features these programs should have?

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited October 05, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited October 05, 2006).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I used WriteItNow software for "Star Sons" - my problems began when I exported it to Word so my beta readers could comment on the story, then tried to re-insert the files back to WIN. You have to do that as .txt files, and I'm stupid about techie stuff, so I messed it all up and caused myself a lot of work. It wasn't WIN's fault.

WIN is a simple software that has some wonderful features. It has character tabs where you can keep track of who's who, what's interesting, different or "characteristic" of them; you can keep notes on all kinds of stuff - I have notes on locations, magic spells, historic stuff, etc. It will print out in submission format all by itself (when you tell it to) if you've done your stuff properly (block format, double-space between paragraphs, * * * or # to divide scenes, etc.) It cost me $34 and it was worth the cost because it taught me a LOT. Oh, it has a way to keep track of submissions, too. www.ravenscroft.com - I think that's their URL.

I've just downloaded yWriter, which is from the guy who made the yTimer used by NaNoWriMo participants (that's how I found him). He writes the Hal Spacejock series (published in Australia). yWriter looks like a more intuitive system than WIN - or perhaps I've simply learned how to use such programs, having battled with WIN for a while now. This program has interesting prompts such as what the goal is for any scene (it has places for you to write the goal, IOW). And you can import your story much more simply than you can with WIN as long as you use * * * as your scene breaks rather than #. yWriter is free, as is the yTimer. www.spacejock.com, click on "downloads" (I think that's right) or the "for writers" links.

For screenplays, I'm in a screenwriting workshop at Context 19 this week, and the instructor sent us free screenwriting templates that work in Word. I downloaded them but have no clue how to get them started. They seem to be Macros of some kind, but I don't really understand those, either!! Sorry. But they're free - I don't know where she got them, sorry. Maybe you can do a search for them.

For Word, I've learned the hard way that you can't keep your whole novel in one long file, no matter how much easier it is to do a search and replace when you get crits back!! They need to be saved as chapter files (which both of the softwares I mentioned above do quite well). I've also learned that formatting holds better in .txt files than in .doc files, but you can't use underlining in .txt files - you have to do them _this way_, then change them to [u]this way[/u] when you submit the novel to agents or publishers (they can't see the _this way_ markings as easily. Those underlines will be converted into italics in the printed version of your story, in case you didn't know).

Hope this helps!

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.libertyhallwriters.org/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=54

I've kept this forum open to the public. You don't have to join Liberty Hall to read about the software we've found.

I'll eventually be moving all these resources to our new blog, hopefully before January 2007, so if you read this after that, go here instead: http://www.libertyhallwriters.org/wordpress/

Freeware Screenwriting Software
Freeware Submittals Tracking
Freeware Writing Project Managers
Freeware Coundown Timers
Freeware Word Processors
Nice alternative to Windows Explorer
Tiny Encryption Program
MS Word format for short stories
Online word counter for flash challenges
Check your grammar by having your computer read it aloud.
Audio Recording and Mixing - Record your writing
Free Software
Autocrit

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
thought about getting Final Draft for screenwriting projects (though, I'll have to be saving up a bit for that. It's a bit on the expensive side).

Try this instead: http://www.celtx.com/overview.html

quote:

Celtx is Pre-Production software for film, video, theatre, and animation.

START YOUR STORYOutline ThumbnailUse the Celtx Scene Details and Character Background forms to create dynamic story lines. Add sound files, pictures and video clips to help create a media rich Outline.

WRITE AWAYEditor ThumbnailCeltx has a full industry standard screenplay editor that includes all of the features writers need to keep their fingers moving, like intuitive formatting, text auto-complete, pagination, script styles, CAPS selection, scene management, spellchecker, embedded notes, find and replace, PDF generation and other export options.

Celtx also supports writing plain text documents – so you can write a poem, music lyrics, or your complete Novel.

SO YOU CAN PRODUCE YOUR PROJECTReports ThumbnailComplete a media rich breakdown of your project, tagging key items like props, and actors and special effects with notes and pictures and even sound files to help give shape to your Story.

Use the built in Calendar and Reports features to keep your Project organized and to help keep track of any production requirements by scene or character or dialogue or action or any number of other ways that Celtx makes possible.

WHILE YOU COLLABORATE WITH TEAM MEMBERSCeltx has a secure, built in Collaboration feature that lets you share your entire Project – scripts, breakdown files, budgets, schedules, location forms etc. – with team members.

Use the Celtx Collaboration feature to help keep track of their progress and to maintain a common vision among your team.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

quote:
I have been toying with the idea of making my *own* writer's software (or giving it to a student as a project).

Will, i'd be interested in collaborating on that. No real coding expertise, but lots of ideas.

Beth
Member # 2192

...and if you need a software tester, let me know. I am pretty good at breaking stuff.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LPMcGill
Member # 3923

- posted      Profile for LPMcGill   Email LPMcGill         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that Celtx program sounds like a film production swiss army knife. I'll definitely have to check that out.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just put in another mention of OpenOffice. I use it exclusively these days. It's basically just a Microsoft clone, but it works just as well, and it's free.
Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Mike (or anyone), what are those ideas? What do you think would be useful?
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

I'd like to see a Swiss Army Knife type of app, that:

1. acts as a writing project manager, including outlining, scheduling, level of effort analysis, brainstorming tools and graphics to assist in the movement and re-asignation of chunks of text from one scene or chapter to another
2. includes the ability to enter text and assign it to scenes, or chapters or any other subdivision you make, and to spell check and to have thesaurus lookup functions
3. acts as a submissions/arketing database, including taking incoming Duotrope Digest email (or other standardized format market publications email) and extracting and storing the info.
4. counts words, counts the number of times you use words, counts and identifies the instances of words that are repeated within a set 'distance' in a chunk of text, including the ability to learn from your text and creates a list of problem words
5. creates query letters and email submittals according to criteria that you enter
6. has the ability to contrast and compare two instances of a chunk of text.
7. has the ability to allow you to paste critique comments into a note tagged to a chunk of text
8. has reminders and scheduling capability and timers built in and can analyze and report on your prductivity
9. can be installed to a pen drive and is capable of operating in Windows (ugh), Mac, BSD and Linux OSes
10. That automates the process of registering your work under the Creative Commons licensing schemes.
11. Exports to .txt, .rtf, .doc, .opd, .html, .xml formats
12. Imports from .txt, .rtf, .doc, .opd, .html, .xml formats

With the exception of #3 and #9 above, I have tools that do all that. But I have to work in multiple operating systems and applications to do so.

Not asking for much, am I!

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited October 08, 2006).]

Beth
Member # 2192

In any application, I look for compatibility with speech recognition software; failing that, for complete and *easy* keyboard accessibility. (and by easy, I mean that instead of say hitting the tab key 15 times to get to a particular control, I can type a keyboard shortcut and presto. Not just accessible but easily accessible.)

I also look for an application that lets me customize it and use it however I want, rather than rigidly defining how I should work. ie, if there's a Submission Tracking module and it's set to track 15 or 20 common things, let me add my own things to track; maybe I'm obsessed with tracking reviews of the magazines I watch or something, so I'd want to add a way to do that. (that is just one example; what I'd want is the ability to add and rearrange and skip things to suit me.)

I'd like to be able to save numerous versions of an outline, and produce new ones at different stages in the project's lifecyle. ie, if I write one outline to produce the crappy first draft, I am probably going to produce a second outline to help me see what the first draft looks like, and so on. but I would really like to be able to refer back to the first outline, not have it lost.

I look for having all the information easily available to me, even if in an abbreviated form; if I have to click through four layers to even see if there's any data somewhere, sooner or later I'll stop bothering. yWriter does a pretty good job of this - most of the info from the scene definitions is displayed in the main view.

I am not a very visual person most of the time, so something that relies on visual metaphors (like index cards, say) to display data and the relationships among the data would not appeal to me much. Other people would probably love it - so that implies having multiple metaphors to view data.

I also think well in hierarchies - like the microsoft windows explorer file structure - that's one of the reasons I love KeyNote. I don't think as well in tags (like gmail, writely, etc) - they're useful on a small scale but for me, not useful to organize data for a large project like a novel. (again, just me; other people might find tags a perfectly splendid way to organize large amounts of data.)

More and more I'm interested in web-based applications, because I work now from three different computers, so it's easier not to have to shuttle files around. I also really like the collaboration abilities of some of the web apps I use.

The word count is essential; I've looked at and discarded a number of organization apps because they do not include a word count. (and I know you're familiar with how to do a word count app. I don't think it matters if it's precisely the same algorithm as any other app; mostly I need a general idea.)

I'd also be interested in a module that does something like what Mr. Writing person was talking about a while ago, which would map the relationships between characters. (this is inevitably visual but I will suck it up.)

so that's a little more general than what Mike said. but I do think that putting all the miscellaneous functions that I currently do through other apps together could be useful.

Beth
Member # 2192

What I use now (and what would be nice to have squished into one app):

KeyNote for most my writing, research, and notes. Good hierarchical structure, primitive word processing. I really like that everything is in one single file, not a million different files (as it would be if I used RoughDraft or Word or whatever).

Word for critiques (especially the Show Changes functionality) and producing correctly formatted final documents.

My sub tracking database; one table tracks markets, another tracks stories; queries link which story has been sent to which market.

Duotrope to search for markets (I don't use their sub tracking but apparently it is swell).

Excel for outlining; may do more of this in yWriter in the future.

Writely for making a piece I'm currently working on available via the internet, and for collaboration.

Various dictionaries, thesauruses, and grammar reference guides, mostly hard copy.

In addition to the ones listed above, you might also check out PowerWriter; I really really like the outline capability (but not enough to pay $100 for it). StoryMind does a pretty neat job of talking you through a development process (ie, it'll tell you to brainstorm about the background of your characters on one "card" and then displays that data later on to be refined in another step, etc. kind of cool.) and is utterly customizable, so if their development process doesn't work for you, you can change it up.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

I like the portability that a web-based app provides, but before I invest large chunks of time in something like that I have to be comfortable that it will always be available. So, if it were served up on the web, I'd like to see an option that allows me to install a mini-server app on my hard drive to serve up the web-based app.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.