Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » looking for the right word ....

Author Topic: looking for the right word ....
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for a word that can apply to a supernatural creature that is associated with a particular place/geographic location. I would rather stay away from Greek/classical mythology, but at this point I'm growing open to anything.
Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you describe the creature and/or the place where they live?
Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
tutelary?
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Haunt?
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Give us a description of the creature. Is it corporeal or non-corporeal?

You don't care to echo Greek or Roman mythology, but what about the mythos from another culture?

You might pay a visit to Encylopedia Mythica:
http://www.pantheon.org/

They have references to any sort of mythology you could possibly want. You might find some ideas that work for you.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lares and Penates of ancient -- um, Greece? Rome? I forget -- were household gods. I know you're staying away from the classical, but that's as close as I get to anything historically interesting.
Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimslade
Member # 3173

- posted      Profile for Grimslade           Edit/Delete Post 
How about fairies? Hobgoblins, brownies, and kobolds were all household fae. There are some great location spirits/fairies in Russian folklore.
House Spirits http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domovoi
Water Spirits http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodyanoy

Slavic Fairies of all types
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_fairies

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Genius loci is a Roman concept and it just means 'local spirit'. It is probably because the idea is relatively undeveloped in the classical world that it has no single word to capture the concept. Similarly, it is not well defined in many cultures heavily influenced by classical ideas. It may be easiest for you to find the concept in non-western cultures. You may want to look into the various manifestations of the shinto concept of kami or kami spirits or obake.

But, if you really want to avoid being identified with a particular culture, you may just have to do as the Romans did and say 'local spirit' or as mikemunsil suggests: 'haunt'.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 10, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I've been offline for a few days. Thanks for all the responses and suggestions.

For those that asked. These are "made up" creatures that are associated with specific geographic places (e.g., a particular valley or a particular river), but not with structures like say a castle or a house (or a graveyard for that matter). Also, they are not associated with the dead or gods, and have a corporeal existence of sorts.

Non-classical cultures/belief systems are ideal. Two that would work very well are Celtic and Native American. But as I said, I'm not excluding anything. I just want to avoid unintentional allusion to the better known aspects of classical mythology. I'll look into each of the suggestions, as they all have some promise.

Thanks again, and if I find anything really cool I'll let you know.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkJCherry
Member # 3510

- posted      Profile for MarkJCherry           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here are just a few thoughts:
A(n):
Elemental
Effigy
A-One-of-Those(j/k)
a First-syllable-of-the-source-ling(i.e. Rivling, Valling, Mountling, Starling, Fireling, so on and so forth)

Hope that helps

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hendrik Boom
Member # 1991

- posted      Profile for Hendrik Boom   Email Hendrik Boom         Edit/Delete Post 
Look at ancient Hindu scripture. For example, Ganga was the goddess of the Ganges river.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grimslade
Member # 3173

- posted      Profile for Grimslade           Edit/Delete Post 
We are talking about multiples of the same creature, "People of the Sun" or Mosswalkers? In which case, I would name them like tribes or clans. You could do bastardized gaelic, MacNis for 'son of the river' or Ingenis for 'river daughter'.
What would the creatures call themselves? What would their enemies call them? Humans?
I think whatever you do call them will echo with classical mythology. This is a common symbol in all mythologies, spirits/creatures of a location. Classical myth is just what most people know. A rose by any other name...

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.