Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » My book is OUT!!

Author Topic: My book is OUT!!
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I just received word from my publisher that the e-book version of my first novel, "Touch of Fate," is available through her website starting TODAY!

http://www.twilighttimesbooks.com/TouchofFate_ch1.html

The book will be available through the big ebook distributors including Fictionwise in a couple of weeks, and it will be released as a trade paperback this Spring.

In the meantime, I am just riding a high. This is so exciting, I can't even tell you. This may sound corny, but I want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone at Hatrack and especially to Kathleen. I've been here for 3_1/2 years now and this place has been a big part of my success. I know I'm not the first and I also know I won't be the last!

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

My publisher wanted me to add that the ebook is half off for the next week in an attempt to get some good initial sales. So if you're even thinking about buying the book, this would be a good time to do so!

My website has more information than Twilight Times, including the *entire* first chapter. (The excerpt at TT is about 2/3 of it.)

http://www.christineamsden.com

P.S. If you have any thoughts or suggestions for the web page, I would love to hear about them through e-mail.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited October 15, 2006).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats....I hope you have many more days such as this in the future..
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Christine.

I will buy and read it.

Off to set up a paypal account.

see ya

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
PS: Imagine this scene, twenty years from now, dinner party:

"Amsden? Oh you mean Christine. Yes I know her. Knew her before she was published, actuuaallllly...."

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it before, but congrats Christine! Finally able to read it, but like hoptoad, have to set up a paypal account, which I may not be financially able to do, but I'll try.

Good luck with future endeavours!

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LPMcGill
Member # 3923

- posted      Profile for LPMcGill   Email LPMcGill         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great! Congratulations!
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
Read the first chapter, gonna read the book. Congrats!
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
That is great! Congrats, Christine !!!!
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Congratulations Christine. Way to go!

R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I just read the first chapter - it's an excellent start! Keep us posted on your writing journey!

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

May I ask a question about your publisher? How did you find them? I can't find submission guidelines on their site. I'm making lists of publishers to try and thought I'd check them out. Thanks a lot!

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Thanks, everyone! I just woke up and I'm still floating.

Ray -- I'm glad you liked the first chapter. I hope the rest of it doesn't disappoint.

I spent most of yesterday fixing up my web site to put up the new cover art, links, summaries, and chapter 1. I was also going back and forth with my publisher on tweaking the title art before it goes to the distributors (I decided I wanted the title capitalized). I also spent a LOT of time on the phone, calling everyone I could think of. My father in law got the first call because my parents are out of town (what rotten timing!) and he kept me on the phone so I couldn't tell anyone else before he bought the first copy. LOL.

Oh yeah, and I'm trying to get the publisher to make this obvious, but it turns out that you can buy the book without setting up a paypal account. At least, my father in law managed to do it. He complained at me about it for half an hour yesterday about having to go through the paypal link but then just being able to give a credit card number...

Anyway, this has been quite a process. I know I haven't kept you guys as up to date as I meant to. My edits came back two months ago and I made some improvements to the story basd on the editor's suggestions. (I do think they were improvements. I didn't have to make any changes I didn't like.) Then the novel went to a copy editor who actually didn't find all that many corrections to make. (I hope that means they weren't there as opposed to that she missed them! )

The cover art has been interesting. I've actually seen four different cover art concepts, the first at the end of September.

You know, there's this moment. You've sold and edited your book. You're awaiting publication. You're imagining what it will look like from the outside, and in your inbox comes some news -- a cover art concept ready for your approval! Your heart thuds, you can barely move the mouse for excitement, and you click the link.

I don't know if you want me to go into too much detail about the cover art. I'm a little nervous about giving my impressions of the first two covers because I thought they were just plain bad and didn't have much to do with the book. Certain aspects of them, in particular, were contrary to the book. Suffice to say that by the third time I repeatd the above process, my nerves were combined with anxiety.

But I liked it. It, too, was unexpected but oddly appropriate and so very pretty. It is what you see right now.

So here we are today. Electronic "cover" put on an e-book and pretty soon, it's going to get ready to go to the printers. And now, suddenly, I'm nervous and excited all over again!

Christine
Member # 1646

A couple of people popped in while I was composing that response!

Lynda -- I'm glad you liked the first chapter. I found Twilight Times through "Preditors and Editors" initially. I was looking for small or medium sized presses that they recommended, and this was one.

Their submissions page is a little tricky to find ... you end up having to use the site map to find it. Here it is, though:

http://www.twilighttimesbooks.com/subs.html

I think they've treated me well. Despite all my nerves about receving cover art I didn't like at first, I always had total artistic control and total veto power. Lida has treated me very well.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job, Your living the dream.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job, Christine. You've worked very hard for this. AND, you've proven your own theory that I recall you discussing a couple of years ago: write one story a week and in a year...

Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Well, with novels it's more like one a YEAR.
Lynda
Member # 3574

Christine - thanks for the link to your publisher's submissions page. May I ask what they meant by "you must have a comprehansive marketing plan"? I thought publishers had marketing plans (I'm still new at this, that's why I'm doing such research!). Thanks for the help!

And thanks, to, for sharing your excitement over the cover art and your feelings about the process - I hope to share that excitement before I get too much older myself!! Nice to know what to look forward to!

Lynda

Christine
Member # 1646

Lynda -- publishers do a good share of marketing, but it is a reality that authors will have to promote their own work in various ways. They are just looking for a basic grasp of that concept. They want to know that YOU know that you will have to go to book signings, readings at libraries, do interviews for local and in-genre publications, etc. Twilight Times is not a big press and as such it is very important to them that their authors help make each book a success. Big publishers can afford a flop because they have big names to keep them afloat.

And so far, Lida has been very helpful in helping me with marketing ideas. If you need some help coming up with ideas if/when you submit, e-mail me and I'll help you out.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkJCherry
Member # 3510

- posted      Profile for MarkJCherry           Edit/Delete Post 
CONGRATULATIONS!

I'm jealous! LOL!

Seriously though, I'm very happy for you, I think it's awesome. I haven't gotten to yet, been busy with work and my own WIP, but I'll make absolutely certain to check it out.

Again, grats!

Mark

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

Christine - thanks for the info! I've been marketing my art myself for years now, so I have a clue about marketing, but wasn't certain what they expected. Book-signings, etc., yup, sure, I can do that! Now I just have to finish polishing my book and get it out there to publishers!!

Thanks for being an inspiration to those of us who are still "aspiring"!

Lynda

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Wbriggs said it well, so I'll ditto him:
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

And I was just wondering what I should read next. Now I know.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I got this e-mail from a friend at 1:00 this morning:

"I'm up to chapter 5. I was going to go to bed an hour ago, but I wanted to "just finish chapter 1" -- but then I couldn't stop. I'd better go to bed!"

My aunt also called me last night to let me know that she finished already and that she couldn't put it down.

I'm sure I'll get some negative opinions sooner or later but at least some people are liking my book.

I'm going to go smile off-line now.

MommaMuse
Member # 3622

- posted      Profile for MommaMuse   Email MommaMuse         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW CONGRATS!!!

I haven't been online for a while, but I plan to look for and buy the printed version! (My type of ADD makes it hard to read things online, so it's paper for me! tee hee hee)

Again, congrats. As soon as I see it, it's SO MINE! Catch ya later with a review! LOL

Posts: 105 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so happy for you Christine.

JB Skaggs

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archon
Member # 3273

- posted      Profile for Archon   Email Archon         Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of late, but congratulations!

And strangely enough, your main character's name is the exact same as my past Cultural Anthropology teacher's. What are the odds?

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

It's me again...shamelessly promoting my novel.

"Touch of Fate" was nominatd in the Preditors and Editors Reader's Choice Poll! Please show your support by casting a vote in my direction in these two categories: Print/Electronic Science Fiction & Fantasy Novel published in 2006...( www.critters.org/predpoll/novelsf.shtml ) and Book/e-book Cover Artwork published in 2006...( www.critters.org/predpoll/bookart.shtml )

Anyway, the polls are open until Januar 14th so if anyone wants to take a minute to go over there and shove a vote my way, I'd really appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited January 11, 2007).]

RillSoji
Member # 1920

- posted      Profile for RillSoji   Email RillSoji         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!
Posts: 125 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Congratulations.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ken_hawk
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for ken_hawk   Email ken_hawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats again Christine. Do you know the publication date for the printed version? I know you said sometime in the spring; any idea around what month it might be? I plan on buying it. And congrats on your nominations.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Yeah, Spring was what I was told last year when I signed the contract and what I still thought this past fall when the e-book came out. At this point, all I can say about the release is that it will be 4-5 months after I get a proof -- and I don't have a proof. If I get one tomorrow, we're talking early summer and I honestly have no idea when I will get this proof, so I am crossing my fingers and hoping late summer/fall will be correct.

I think I'm getting a little pessimistic about this because everything has taken longer than I expected and longer than the publisher said it would take. In any cas, I will definitely let you guys know when I get so much as a tentative release date...thanks for asking!

rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
A belated congrats!!!
Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read the first chapter and I'm going to get this book. I think I'll wait for the hardcopy, though. I like reading paper books. Though I read OSC's Hot Sleep online. So....

I noticed on your bio that you're from Kansas City, I live in Independence. I thought that was cool.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Awww, thanks!

Can't blame you about the paper copy...that's why I didn't go with a pure e-book publisher.

Once I get a release date, I'll be planning book signings in the area, too.

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
If you do a signing in KC, let us know. I think it's cool that there are other writers in KC.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.