Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Tracking in fantasy novels (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tracking in fantasy novels
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Ran across this site:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2.guns.htm

This is an excellent resource on firearms, marksmanship, hunting, ballistics, etc.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read The Great Oregon Varmint Massacre...admittedly had absolutely nothing to do with tracking, but was pretty funny. Those not appreciative of a story (with pictures) about cute little animals being slaughtered by miniture rifles might prefer Revenge of the Fuzzballs (this revenge is non-violent, consisting mainly of not getting shot).

I don't know that the site provides much in the way of information usable by fantasy writers, but it's a great resource if you want to write anything about modern hunting.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Oregon we are known for MUCH more than hunting fuzzy varmits. Why, the annals of Oregon History will tell you the tale of the Exploding Whale, a story that Dave Barry reported on. A dead whale was stuffed with dynamite and blown up, in theory to dispose of the rotting carcass. In reality it blew whale chunks in a two-mile spread.

To quote TV reporter Paul Linnman, "The blast blasted blubber beyond all believable bounds."

I currently work with a guy who was an insurance adjuster at the time. He said it was a difficult job trying to convince the main office of the insurance company that, yes, the claims of car damage from falling whale bits was, in fact, a legitimate claim.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited October 27, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.