Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Does dark humor sell, at all?

Author Topic: Does dark humor sell, at all?
Grand Admiral
Member # 3090

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if dark humor actually sells all that well on the market; and would writing a piece really stand a chance with any respectable publisher or magazine like Analog of Asimov's? Also just how unheroic can the central protagonist actually be; and is humor enough to make a sociopath likeable?
Posts: 13 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to think that a protagnoist needs to invoke either sympathy in its technical sense or admiration. The former is out for a psychopath, and I can't see how any amount of humor could make up for the lack.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quaero
Member # 4076

- posted      Profile for Quaero   Email Quaero         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, yes, and yes. While I'm not 100% sure of the opinions of those such as Analog, dark humor definitely sells. For the most part, the main character(s) can even delve into the depths of 'downright despicable', as long as there is some trace of endearing/vulnerable/comedic particle that clings to he/she/it.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AeroB1033
Member # 1956

- posted      Profile for AeroB1033   Email AeroB1033         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that fascination can sometimes replace sympathy, but you can't take it too far, and I certainly wouldn't try it in anything longer than a short story. Keep in mind, though, that the readers still need to understand the motives of the protagonist, and there needs to be a starting point of sympathy, even if you twist it quickly to something darker.

One of OSC's short stories that stuck the most in my mind was called "Freeway Games"; by the time you get to the end of the story, the protagonist has pretty much lost all sympathy he could have had at the beginning of the story. But his situation and behavior are both so fascinating that you can't put the thing down.

Just be careful. I think this is one of those things where it takes a master's hand and a good understanding of where enough is enough to pull it off properly.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quaero
Member # 4076

Hmmmm. I'm looking at the word sociopath more carefully, and I still say yes on the simple terms of the dictionary definition of "one who is affected with a personality disorder marked by antisocial behavior".

Are we talking about a rapist? I would then say, no. Are we talking about a murder? Heh, heh. Is he/she/it a "good" killer, killing only those who deserve it...a sort of Robin Hood of sociopaths, maybe?

These are the questions that come immediately to mind.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does anyone know if dark humor actually sells all that well on the market;

yes, to the right market.

quote:
and would writing a piece really stand a chance with any respectable publisher or magazine like Analog of Asimov's?

yes, to the right market. research their guidelines.

quote:
Also just how unheroic can the central protagonist actually be;

extremely unheroic, if the MC is also sympathetic. research the "Flashman" series by George McDonald Fraser.

quote:
and is humor enough to make a sociopath likeable?

depends upon the pathology. see above. Flashman is a pathologic coward.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited October 19, 2006).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh!

I thought "dark humor" was along the lines of "laughing in the face of danger" also known as "gallows humor." I guess what you all are talking about might qualify, but it sounds to me as if you're coming at it from a different direction than what I'm used to.

Given that, a protagonist who can make jokes while doing dangerous things works quite well for me. (One of the things I loved about the BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER television series, and FIREFLY, too, for that matter, was the "dark humor.")

I'm not so sure about joking sociopaths. Do you mean like The Joker in the BATMAN universe? Yuck!

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not so sure about joking sociopaths. Do you mean like The Joker in the BATMAN universe? Yuck!

And yet people love the dark quipping of Hannibal Lecter.

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people do.

I prefer the Brian Cox interpretation in Manhunter, where he is not particularly humourous, but far scarier than Anthony Hopkins' pantomime villain...

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quaero
Member # 4076

I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of Chuck Palahniuk-type story lines...very dark (and just plain sick in some instances), yet still amusing and humorous. Or Quentin Tarantino.
Grand Admiral
Member # 3090

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral           Edit/Delete Post 
On a related note, I was wondering if someone could clarify the site rules on appropriateness, how offensive can the material you post actually be? Can you post anything you want so long as there's a disclaimer ahead of it, or are there limits even to that?
Posts: 13 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to your question, Grand Admiral, I refer you to the second paragraph of rules on the registration page (rules you agreed to abide by when you registered and thus became able to post here):

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/cgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=agree

quote:
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.

If you want feedback on something that could fit the adjectives above, you may describe your work and ask for volunteers to receive it in email, but please don't post excerpts that could fit the above adjectives.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.